Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Tailoring Prices

Hello,
I bought the Watters Torreon dress: http://www.watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/4041B

and the place that I bought it from in Wayland recommended a seamtress across the street. She told me that the cost will be $485 to get tailored, which includes a 3 button bustle, shortening about 1-2in on the bottom and taking in the top bust area about 1in. The bra to go inside will be another $70, this is a total of $555. Is this normal? I feel like its outrageus and that I may be getting ripped off...what do you think?

Re: Tailoring Prices

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's a lot! Definitely check out Chris O'Hare in Quincy or Fay Carraher in Billerica. They're both independent seamstresses and they both get awesome reviews here.
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, that is a lot.  The salon where I bought my dress estimated over $400 for alterations as well (although, I was having way more done than you listed!).  I went to Fay in Billerica and it cost me $200.  I would definitely shop around and get a few more quotes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The store I bought my dress from estimate that alterations would run anywhere from $500-$800 when I bought the dress. The store was over 2 hours away so I decided to bring the dress closer to home(plus I thought the cost of alreations was way too high) and I'm having Fay in Billerica do alterations. I had my first fitting with her a couple of weeks ago and she quoted me around $275 for everything. She's taking in the sides, shortening the dress and adding a busstle. My dress has some crazy lace work on it that makes it difficult for alterations.
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that's a rip-off!

I got my dress at POB.  Their alterations are like $600-800!  My friend got her dress there and said her 1 regret about her wedding planning was having them do her alterations.  I used Fay Carraher in Billerica, and she's amazing!  So sweet, and does incredible work.  My alterations were under $150.  I definitely highly recommend her.

Good luck! :)
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards