Wedding Etiquette Forum

International Wedding Invitation Question

So this just occured to me today, and I haven't seen it addressed anywhere:

I know it takes extra postage to send mail from the US to other countries; but what do I do about postage for the RSVP card? Can I put US stamps on it in the same amount it would take for me to mail an envelope that size/weight from here to there, or do I need some other sort of fancy postage?
Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: International Wedding Invitation Question

• You can ask at the PO, but I'd not use a US Stamp in that case.
  • Just leave off the postage and the international guest will have get their own.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_international-wedding-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0165e4d6-b51c-4e75-9ee1-01fa17f9e942Post:7e79ad9f-9598-4326-bd9d-47e5e908f135">Re: International Wedding Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just leave off the postage and the international guest will have get their own.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

This
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_international-wedding-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0165e4d6-b51c-4e75-9ee1-01fa17f9e942Post:d624a64d-99b1-4993-a05a-339460f9f4b8">Re: International Wedding Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We included a note that asked the international invitees to RSVP via email.  I had no clue about the postage and didn't want them to have to pay to return the RSVP card.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

and/or this
  • You can't pay the postage for it, so I wouldn't worry about it. I put our phone number and an online RSVP on the invite so that they'd have other options.
  • We just left the stamps off international invitations.

Stamped, self addressed reply cards came about in the last 25 years of so because no one seems to know how to reply to a formal invitation.
  • I'll ditto everyone else.  Our Canadian and German guests I've already informed that once they recieve the invitation they can email/call with the RSVP.

I'll write a little handwritten note in their invitation to remind them as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We also plan on leaving postage off of our International RSVPs . Just make sure your guests also have your phone number or email address so that they can contact you.

• Thanks, I figured I could just let the guest in question know she can just call or email me, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just had our RSVP weighed (it was standard postage) and then had them look up the amount to send it from there to here and bought those stamps.  For us, it was only the US and Mexico that we needed different stamps for, but everyone's RSVPs came in. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_international-wedding-invitation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0165e4d6-b51c-4e75-9ee1-01fa17f9e942Post:d624a64d-99b1-4993-a05a-339460f9f4b8">Re: International Wedding Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We included a note that asked the international invitees to RSVP via email.  I had no clue about the postage and didn't want them to have to pay to return the RSVP card.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Milkduds always gives great advice. I totally agree with this
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Late to the party on this, but you can get international postage coupons, I think from the post office.  Kind of a PITA, because the guest has to go to the post office and exchange the coupon for actual postage, but if you want to pay for postage for them, that's how you'd do it.
  • I'm sending invitations so came across this as well. I googled it and there are options: you have someone fom the other country send you postage and affix that to the international guests RSVP card, or USPS sells international vouchers that your guest can take to their post office to exchange for proper postage. But in the end I'm leaving mine unstamped -both those options to me are more work than they are worth. It's only a few and I've kind got verbal replies already.
    Anniversary
  • My FMIL lives out of the country, so we are sending all of the international invites to her.  She will purchse local postage and give us a "bill". 

I realize this won't work for everyone, but thought I'd throw it out there.  We want to get the RSVP cards back for entree selections.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards