Wedding Etiquette Forum

wedding thank yous

what is the time frame on sending out your thank yous for the wedding

Re: wedding thank yous

• As fast as you can. Try to have them all in the mail about 2 weeks after you return from your honeymoon.
  • Yes, as soon as you can. Divide them up with the hubs (the presents are his too!)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If your wedding was back in October, you should've had them out by Christmas.  Most people start to judge if they're not out within 2 months of the wedding.
  • positivekpositivek member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    And don't push it past three months.
  • ASAP. No longer than 3 months, but the earlier the better!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ASAP. My MIL said two months at most, but I don't know if that's true or if she just came up with it.

We were lucky in that a lot of people sent gifts before the wedding, and we wrote them as soon as the gifts came in, so we had probably half of them done before the wedding.

The rest were out within two weeks after coming back from the honeymoon (so about three weeks after the wedding). I did them 10 at a time- I addressed and stampled 10 envelopes, write the notes (double check to make sure you put the right note in the right envelope- I put each note in the envelope when I finished it). Then start over. I like writing the notes, but hate addressing the envelopes, so it was easier that way. I could usually do about 20 in an hour, and a movie is two hours, so there's forty right there.

For the gifts that came after the wedding (we were stlil getting gifts six months out) we wrote them as soon as we got the gift.
  • OP, if your wedding was back in October, you need to drop everything you are doing and just get it done.  Seriously.  Most of your guests probably think you aren't sending them at all at this point.  Maybe it's judgy of me, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.  A thank you takes about 5 min from start to finish.  If you guests can buy you a $50 or $100 wedding gift, you can spend 5 min and $0.46 to thank them properly and promptly.  This is the reason I generally dislike wedding photo thank yous - it usually takes at least a full month to get the thank you cards made, and then brides seem to think they have another 2 months to get them written.  No.  The thank yous should have been mailed in the timeframe it takes to get the photos back.

Etiquette says you should send thank yous out as gifts come in.  Yes, the gifts will pick up speed maybe 2-4 weeks out and you might get overwhelmed last minute wedding things so those thank yous get put on the back burner.  But for future brides, I highly recommend staying caught up as long as you can before the wedding, and then as soon as it's over or you come back from your honeymoon (if you are leaving right away) you make the thank yous a priority and get them done.  I wrote 31 thank yous the day after my shower.  If I can do it, you can do it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards