Wedding Etiquette Forum

I judge..

Re: I judge..

• edited December 2011
    I don't have an internet phone either.  I guess I could call myself cheap, but I make like, no money.  I'm fine with my talk-and-text.

Can I judge my mom?  She pissed me off over Christmas.  She started with telling me she doesn't like how I pencil my eyebrows, and then lamented on and on about how I didn't bring any "cute clothes" to wear, and from there she poked at me about how if she lived where I did, she'd be at the mall all the time picking out clothes and boots and God knows what else.  Yeah, well Mom, I usually put groceries before being up to date on the latest cute things to wear, plus I work in radio so no one gives a shiit what I look like.  My husband and I don't run a massive farm and we don't have your expendable income.  However - even though the farm is massive, it's been a tough few years - but I would never tell you to stop spending Dad's money on ridiculous shiit (or, for that matter, that your lipstick is ugly), so please don't tell me I should go into debt just so I can have "cute clothes."

I think money talk in general makes people sound like assholes a lot of the time.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:46f58cdf-4932-4bac-9289-563550de903f">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with you, Whitsy. Rosie - Poor people aren't allowed to go to Europe.  Unless they sell their kids on the black market to pay for the plane ticket.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

I had a gypsy in France try to give me her baby once. I laughed and told her to get a job.
  • Look, Adamar.  They obviously think they are the VERY FIRST person to mention this to you.  Without their help, how would you know you're going to get old and wrinkly some day?

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Hell, I didn't find the boards until WAY after my wedding

So yeah. So now I'm apologizing for not being there for something I didn't know happened. Uh, sorry? Want to do supper next week, I guess?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:58e21626-5db4-4330-8012-4baf25e7988d">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rosie, it's just about an aquaintance and how entitled she is....<strong> I know her entire situation</strong> and I judge her because no matter what she does to screw things up, her parents will bail her out.  I know that's very vague, but I'm concerned that she might be on here since she is recently engaged.
    Posted by amys325[/QUOTE]

<div>This is more of an irritation that a judgement, but I can't stand it when people say this.  No, you don't know their entire situation.  You know what they've chosen to share with you. The only one who knows the ENTIRE situation is the person experiencing it. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:74451acd-cec9-483c-84b2-c56b7a94a2e1">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got to a part in Mockingjay on the bus on the way to work that made me really really sad. I'm only about halfway through. It's the first and only time I could even slightly understand someone being Team Gale.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

It's been too long since I've read this and I have no idea what you're talking about.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:afbc7c43-cb04-47dd-9845-abf0c4386a18">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge.. : You have no idea what is going on in those tourists' life. They could be poor or something.
    Posted by Rosie109[/QUOTE]

You're right. They've probably never seen anything pretty before because the live in the projects. I Don't judge their lv bag, it's fake and they got it from a sketchy street vendor in rome. That's why they're walking so slowly, just trying to find the best fakes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:2a159d49-8b28-4c4f-b773-1155518481f0">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge.. : Yeah this is what I was getting at.  AATB, I don't have an iPhone.  Hell I don't even have internet on my phone.  I'm hoping to avoid it for as long as possible.  Cheapo over here.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

<div>Ok, well it came across as if in your first post, you were trying to explain things to AATB, then when you realized she was making a joke, you tried to play it off ilke you were in on the joking all along.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:c16bd0fa-ed08-4b96-b70c-1609af469fc8">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge.. : I prefer it that way.  I dread the day my phone breaks and the only thing available are smart phones with internet data plans for $30+ a month/ <strong>Did you mean "bring" instead of "break"?</strong>  I don't know what your mother is talking about, from your pictures you always look cute.  What's her idea of cute?  Expensive clothes?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that and then edited.

Her idea of cute is, I dunno.  The clothes she buys for my sisters, lol.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:5b969ec3-0e98-41d4-827e-190137be5014">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]This one is boring, but I judge the tattoo judgers.  I'm not asking everyone to like them, but why do people give a shiit what someone else does with their skin?  It also irritates me when people say something about how my tattoos will look when I'm old.  Uh, okay?  What's your point?
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

I told my mom that if saggy, faded tattoos are the only thing I have to worry about when I'm old, then I'll be a pretty damn happy old person. She finally stopped making that comment.

Seriously, if I even make it to 80 (the age my mom always uses as her example), then I doubt I'll care about my tattoos being faded. I mean, I'm 80. Do I even remember my name at that point?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:b6f92a9f-eb88-45f8-96f1-313700e596a8">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge.. : This is more of an irritation that a judgement, but I can't stand it when people say this.  No, you don't know their entire situation.  You know what they've chosen to share with you. The only one who knows the ENTIRE situation is the person experiencing it. 
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

Ok, you are right, I don't know everything, but I am trying to emphasize that I do know a lot about this person and her situation.  I am also trying to be vague for privacy reasons.  This is why I shouldn't have even brought it up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:8c1282a3-1d39-47b4-9fdd-9cb5cced1253">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I judge my SIL (as always) for her stupid jibjab obsession. She bought a subscription to it and makes about 20 a day.  I'm most annoyed at the one she posted on a family member's facebook (I've never met this family member) where she put my head on a stripper's body and my husband's head on another. She titled it "the honeymoon's not over" and made a comment about soon there will be another cousin on the way. Really? You're 27, not 12.  And if you're going to use unflattering pictures on me, at least post them on my wall so I don't just happen to notice three days later.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

...WTF.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:2ddf1695-5d25-45fb-bb70-fe9f946f5741">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge.. : It's been too long since I've read this and I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

YGPM. I don't want to say what it is out here since others are reading the books and haven't gotten that far yet.
  • thats because jibjab is hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilarious. Or not.
  • THANK YOU MIDGE! <3 I love that you are considerate enough not to spoil it for me! 

//love fest over. 
  • Jibjab was kinda funny the first time I saw it.  What, like, years ago.

I can't even watch them for 20 seconds now without getting bored.
    panther
  • DJ - were the strippers wearing animal prints at least?  ;)

Unless it's a different SIL, than nevermind.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • WTF DJ! That is messed up.

No problem Erin. :)
  • ErinG93ErinG93 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJ I would be pissed. That's nuts. 

Confession: I don't know what JibJab is...

ETA: I googled it. Ok, gotcha.
  • I don't even know what jibjab is.
  • Sesh - I love your sig pic! You're gorgeous. 
  • (I have a jibjab subscription)

I don't use for the photo head things though, it has birthday cards that I send out, and it keeps track of birthdays for me so I get a little e-mail with a birthday reminder and card suggestions, I click, send, done.
  • You guys really aren't missing anything. It's just a flash (maybe) program that will put real faces on cartoon bodies of random people/things and make them dance and other such things.
  • I never said that people on food stamps weren't worthy of having nice things. A purse is a bad example. We don't know how the person got the LV purse. A gift? Bought it? Found it? Stole it? We just don't know. A gift is a different story all together. Like I said earlier, every situation is different.

Let's use an example like someone who regularly gets their nails done or hair done. They shouldn't do that if they are on food stamps. If someone gifts it to them sure. I should word my statement differently I don't think people on food stamps should have nice things if they are paying for it. They should sell things if it's something of value and not sentimental or important value (house, car etc.).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:e2568b33-a7f0-419e-b099-c622b90fa748">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jibjab was kinda funny the first time I saw it.  What, like, years ago. I can't even watch them for 20 seconds now without getting bored.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

You mean pictures of your family and friends dancing to funky beats doesn't bring you to your knees in laughter?

Yeah me either. At least with my aunt I pretend because I love and she just found out how to do it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:16452d25-3525-4136-ba29-5263178a80a8">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge.. : Jerk. Also, is there a b?
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Typo
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:3b4c780b-2fc7-45c9-b414-881c0a718ca4">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never said that people on food stamps weren't worthy of having nice things. A purse is a bad example. We don't know how the person got the LV purse. A gift? Bought it? Found it? Stole it? We just don't know. A gift is a different story all together. Like I said earlier, every situation is different. Let's use an example like someone who regularly gets their nails done or hair done. They shouldn't do that if they are on food stamps. If someone gifts it to them sure. I should word my statement differently I don't think people on food stamps should have nice things if they are paying for it. They should sell things if it's something of value and not sentimental or important value (house, car etc.).
    Posted by ILoveToRobot[/QUOTE]

You are really not doing yourself any favors by continuing to talk.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:fc4de3dd-d8df-43aa-a030-d807f981e464">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]What the hell is jibjab? And Midge, I'm also curious as to what part you're referring to.  I'm re-reading them now but I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't like book 3 as much as the others.  I'm on book 2 now.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

YGPM
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-34?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:091f5f26-5755-4751-b8e6-8678f0f634d2Post:3b4c780b-2fc7-45c9-b414-881c0a718ca4">Re: I judge..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never said that people on food stamps weren't worthy of having nice things. A purse is a bad example. We don't know how the person got the LV purse. A gift? Bought it? Found it? Stole it? We just don't know. A gift is a different story all together. Like I said earlier, every situation is different. Let's use an example like someone who regularly gets their nails done or hair done. They shouldn't do that if they are on food stamps. If someone gifts it to them sure. I should word my statement differently I don't think people on food stamps should have nice things if they are paying for it. <strong>They should sell things if it's something of value and not sentimental or important value (house, car etc.)</strong>.
    Posted by ILoveToRobot[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh, you're back again.</div><div>
    </div><div>If a person sells their house, where are they going to live?  Mortgages are often less expensive than a rental property.  Also, if they have no credit, they may not be able to get a rental property.</div><div>
    </div><div>If they sell their car, how will they be able to get to work, get kids to school, whatever.  Not all places have mass transportation.  In my city, people without personal transportation are quite limited on where they can get on the bus.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, someone has mentioned before, a lot of times, people are upside down on their house/car.  If they sold them for what they are worth now, they'd still have to make up the difference on how much they have on their loan/mortgage.

</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards