Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do photographers count as dinner guests?

I am wondering whether our photographers (we have two of them) count as guests??

Re: Do photographers count as dinner guests?

• Options
    Typically the reception venue offers special discounted vendor meals for your vendors.  They usually have a different place for them to eat too if requested.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    2 things:  does the photographer require a meal in his contract?  If so, then yes, you have to feed him. 

Secondly, does your venue offer discounted vendor meals?  Could be worth checking into for a cheaper rate on a meal. 

I would think feeding the photographer either way would be polite, but if it's not in their contract you can decide not to feed them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_photographers-count-dinner-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0da689dc-6029-452c-b1db-fa17589299aaPost:08ae3dda-ac5e-41ab-a166-ae86f1806276">Do photographers count as dinner guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Numbers for our dinner reception will be tight -- 70 guests only, and every space will count.  <strong>We are inviting A-listers only</strong>. I am wondering whether our photographers (we have two of them) count as guests??  Do photographers take pictures during dinner, and if so, of what?  If they're not taking any photos, should they be sitting down and eating??? Any help on this one would be appreciated.  Thanks!
    Posted by karinhung[/QUOTE]
    IS TOM CRUISE COMING TO YOUR WEDDING? Sorry, couldn't resist. My venue does count vendors in the final headcount, but they'll be eating a different meal than the wedding guests. Still though, the venue had to know exactly how many people would be eating, so yeah, we counted them in the final headcount.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_photographers-count-dinner-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0da689dc-6029-452c-b1db-fa17589299aaPost:08ae3dda-ac5e-41ab-a166-ae86f1806276">Do photographers count as dinner guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Numbers for our dinner reception will be tight -- 70 guests only, and every space will count.  <strong>We are inviting A-listers only.</strong> I am wondering whether our photographers (we have two of them) count as guests??  Do photographers take pictures during dinner, and if so, of what?  If they're not taking any photos, should they be sitting down and eating??? Any help on this one would be appreciated.  Thanks!
    Posted by karinhung[/QUOTE]

Yes, you should feed your photographer, DJ, officiant, coordinator (if you have one),  and MUA if he/she will be with you all day.  You do not want a hungry, cranky photog and you do not want them to leave to go grab a sandwich somewhere.

Dinner time is a good time for your photog to take a break as most people do not like to be photogrpahed while shoveling food in their mouth.

I'm curious - what is this A-listers statement about?
  • Options
    Our closest friends and family.
  • Options
    She's lying. It's Tom Cruise. I know it.
  • Options
    We fed our photographer and DJ; they ate from the buffet and drank from the open bar just like our guests.   Like people said, though, if you are having a plated dinner many venues will prepare a less expensive vendors' meal. 

Our photographer sat down and talked and ate with our DJ during the dinner portion, but that may not be typical - she is a particularly friendly, outgoing person and seemed to make friends with everyone she came in contact with.  A professional photographer can get the job done and still grab a bite to eat.  Be nice to your vendors!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_photographers-count-dinner-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0da689dc-6029-452c-b1db-fa17589299aaPost:e411b134-0d25-470a-8425-a9fb9b70e5ab">Re: Do photographers count as dinner guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]She's lying. It's Tom Cruise. I know it.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

Ok, seriously...do you have a B & C list? And if so, who is on it?
  • Options
    Oh, karinhung...why did you go and delete info from your post?  Sigh. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't call Tom Cruise an A lister.  He's too freaky with that Scientology stuff. 

We had a separate table in the side room (where the bar and the lounge area were) where staff could take their break, order their meals and have a drink.  They partook from the open bar, and the venue had a grill menu (faster and easier to eat than the plated meal) for the band and photographers/videographer.
  • Options
    Now I feel kinda bitchy for not letting vendors drink. But they're at work. I'm not gonna pay for them to drink at work. This isn't Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, dammit.
  • Options

Is this photographer only going to be taking pictures at the reception, or is it a photographer who will be taking pictures of you getting ready before the ceremony, then pictures during the ceremony, then all the bride-and-groom plus family photos after the ceremony, then pictures during the reception like the bridal party entrance, cake cutting, bouquet throwing, chicken dancing, etc?

Yes, you feed them! That's an entire day you expect your photgrapher to not eat? Do you get breaks to eat when you're at work? So do they.

• Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_photographers-count-dinner-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0da689dc-6029-452c-b1db-fa17589299aaPost:de88b91c-72db-4624-a3bb-83c14a3d6ba8">Re: Do photographers count as dinner guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, you feed them! That's an entire day you expect your photgrapher to not eat? Do you get breaks to eat when you're at work? So do they.
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]

THIS.

WIll you have more than one photog? If so--they could alternate eating times.If not--I'm fairly sure that they are used to not being able to take a half hour out of the event to chill and eat. The good ones probably bring snacks or something so as not to cut into the natural flow of the day's events due to excessive hunger.

Why does that make me think of a Snickers bar?
  • Options
    One of my potential venues offers a vendor meal at $26 as opposed to the $58 for regular guests.  My guess is that this is a meal only and does not include appetizers or the late night snack...I'm not sure though.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    Our vendors do not have to be part of our headcount.  We can offer them vendor meals though they are at a discounted price.  Since they did not respond to my email asking which entree they would like, they get vendor meals.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure if we have to include our vendors in our final headcount or not.  (I think there are vendor meals) and I will only be feeding the vendors that will be there long enough to miss a meal opportunity (sorry 30 minute officiant, you can stop at McDonalds on your way home, LOL)  Meaning, we will provide a meal for our 2 photographers and DJ (if we have him do the ceremony as well, if not, he can eat beforehand).  And no vendor will be allowed to partake in the open bar....they are there to work, not to party.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We gave our photographer a seat at one of the less populated tables and gave her a heads up to look for a reception card with her name and "Table 17."  We figured she wouldn't be there too long, but that she might want a place to drop her things.  I just couldnt stand the thought of her leaning against the wall, scarfing her food!

So, yes, we rented a chair and all the place settings for her, and she knew she was welcome to the bar also- but then, she's responsible, professional and a friend so if she had any drinks we didn't notice.
  • Options
    They should not count as guests, and rightfully so since they are employed by you for your wedding to provide you a service. Most caterers/reception venues provide vendor meals. These are generally sandwiches or some other easy and quick to eat item. They are working for you for the night and your place should not count them in the total. Also, I know many locations do not allow vendors to drink. Ours actually forbids it and requires that all vendors sign a contract to that effect.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well my photographer is a family friend so he definitely will be eating. But I'm not sure about the videographer, I guess I should ask...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They are counted as vendors in my venue, as are anyone who is working.
  • Options
    My photographers are related (brother in law's sister and husband) to my F. So i'm including them on the guest list. I work at a wedding venue, doing set up and such, and i know how long the night can get if the vendors aren't fed. Plus, i would want to keep my photographer focused on my pictures rather then their growling stomachs.
  • Options
    Most photographers don't take pictures during dinner (unless you do table visits) because no one wants pictures of people chewing. If you do table visits, they'll photograph those and then eat their dinner during the time that you guys are sitting down eating your dinner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards