Wedding Etiquette Forum

How bad would it be to go off birth control for just one month?

I promise this isn't REALLY a medical question.

Long story: I hate my insurance. My company switched 2 years ago and I can no longer go to my regular OB/GYN. The closest one my new insurance covers is really far away. Screw that. I've been going to PP to get my BC prescription (Seasonale) and filling it at Target - which my insurance doesn't pay for, FYI. But I can use my FSA money for it.

I go to pick up my new pack on Saturday. I need to start on Sunday. They don't have it, even though it's on automatic refill. They tried calling PP on Thursday and they never got back to them. Pharmacist tells me to just double up Monday. I called today to see if the issue has been resolved. It hasn't. And the PP office closed at 11 today for some reason. And so now I'm missing 2 days of pills and I'm screwed.

I can't get into the PP office until January 9th at the earliest (can only go Saturday and my next 3 Saturdays are booked). Why would Planned freaking Parenthood not do everything in their power to make sure I have birth control? Ugh. And getting pregnant 9.5 months before the wedding would not be awesome, to say the least.

Will starting the pills again next month really mess with my body? Any other suggestions?

Cliff's: I can't get my BC refilled in time to start it this month. I'm being forced to take a month off. How much is this going to suck?
my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: How bad would it be to go off birth control for just one month?

• Even if you get it a couple of days late, you could still just start it the day you get it.  Just use a secondary form of protection for at least 7 days after.  You should be ok.

But yes, that sucks that PP is making it difficult- do they have another office in your area?
  • I would say it shouldn't be a problem. Everyone is different of course. I had this happen before, when I was on the pill, it worked out fine with me (I was on it for my period more then the protection at the time)... Just get it and start it again the sunday after your period or whenever you'd start it. I always did the sunday after.

Of course just be careful in the mean time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • To PP, if you have to take more than three days off, you're supposed to wait until you get your next period, so, a month later, before starting your new pack.

Everyone is different, of course, but I myself never have any problem.  I go on and off whenever I like, or whenever I have to (like when I got my jaws wired shut, ha ha), and it's no big deal for me.
  • You will get pregnant, and you will die.

Just kidding.  Start it when you get it and use a secondary form of BC for as long as the medical info it comes with says too.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-would-off-birth-control-just-one-month?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0f71f57e-1590-4032-9503-ee86a368af8aPost:c2ead0e3-b57f-4af4-884b-c2772cca1721">Re: How bad would it be to go off birth control for just one month?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even if you get it a couple of days late, you could still just start it the day you get it.  Just use a secondary form of protection for at least 7 days after.  You should be ok. But yes, that sucks that PP is making it difficult- do they have another office in your area?
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Oh DUH of course. For some reason I was thinking that I would have to wait until my next period. But that's only if I don't want to use back up as soon as I start the pills. I promise, I know things about BC!

The other PP offices aren't close by and I've never been, but I'll have the same issue with getting an appointment at one. I though about calling my regular primary doctor, but I don't know if she could confirm or issue a prescription over the phone, and she's probably leaving her office soon.

I'll stop flipping out and trust in the condoms. And I'll trust my hormones won't get too out of whack.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I think what I remember my OBGYN telling me in college is that you shouldn't skip days, but that if you did, that you could still start as soon as you got it again, but would have to be extra careful that month and use a backup.  From what  remember when I used to take the pill, if I missed 2 days, then I would take two pills for each of the next 2 days.   I can't remember if someone actually told me to do that, or if it was dorm room medicine at it's best.  If you double up too often, or start at a weird time, you could get your period early, and sometimes that can be physically uncomfortable (cramps, what not).  But then again, still better than the alternative! Then you would just start fresh again with a new pack.
  • It CAN take up to a month+ for the drugs to wear off, so you probably would be ok, but you should still use condoms for the time being to be careful. People have gotten pregnant just because they were on meds that interacted with the BC, so you never know what could happen.
  • FWIW I just went through the same thing, I stopped for a month and just went back on it last week and nothing went crazy with me. In fact, I didn't notice any change at all and I was off for a month and two weeks.
    imageimage
    Photobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    Me 25 DH 26
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    12/11 first round of clomid 50 mg no response BFN
    1/12 Clomid 100mg BFN
    2/12 Clomid + metformin = BFN
    2/20/12 HSG all clear!
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy EDD 3/7/2013
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd call your former OB/GYN.  The pharmacy may be able to get it figured out for you.  I had a pharmacy extend mine a month once although I don't remember why.  Also, time off could signal ovulation.  I'd go at least a month with condoms, but I am also paranoid. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • You technically should go two months with condoms, because if you are off for a month, once you start back on the pills they wont be fully in your system yet so you should still use extra protection.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to use condoms. I use them when I'm on antibiotics too. I'm paranoid about things like that. I'm almost paranoid that I'll get pregnant even with condoms, but I know I shouldn't be.

FI won't be too happy, but he'd rather use condoms than have a baby right now, so there.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Late to the game but...

When I started bc I was told that it would take at least 1 cycle before it would be effective. So you would want to use condoms this month plus the first full cycle on the birth control in case. You might be slightly irregular for the month but it shouldnt mess you up too badly. When I went off bc I was 2 weeks late the first month (no pregnancy) so be prepared in case that happens to you too and don't get worried.
  • I actually just went off BC for a month before getting my IUD and I had no problems.  A month of being extra careful really isn't so bad, and I had no horomonal issues either.  Everything started up again just like it was supposed to.  Maybe kind of a PITA for a few weeks, but nothing major. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2009
    I second the other's advice: Just start when you get the pack, but take precautions for the first few days as you would if you'd missed a couple of pills. You don't have to be on your period to start the new pack. Call your doctor if you're concerned, or ask the pharmacist.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards