New York-New York City

venue contract -- how much total time for set up, ceremony, reception?

Hey! Just about to sign a contract for ceremony/reception venue (June 2010) and don't know how much time should be allotted in total, including set up for caterer, DJ, etc., ceremony, formal cocktail reception & dancing (lots of food), and clean-up.  Loft vendor has 8 hours in the contract.  She says five hours for the ceremony/reception, 2 to set up and 1 to clean up.  Does this sound right??

Re: venue contract -- how much total time for set up, ceremony, reception?

• joebeth22joebeth22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much.  So two hours is enough time to make a loft (true, already white and beautiful) wedding-like... hmmm.  I will check with a coupla' caterers.  By the way, you fit your screen name perfectly, gorgeous! Who's your dress designer? I'm leading towards a boutique in the East Village -- Adrienne's -- which puts together the top of one designer's down with the bottom of another, if you get my drift.  The result looks amazing... but I'm afraid to pull that trigger!
  • edited December 2011
    Eight hours is standard time for most of the lofts and other rentals in the city; and everyone uses the 2-5-1 set up.  I'd talk with your caterer just in case, but if it's a venue fairly well known, most caterers can work within these time restrictions. Be sure to also info your florist and DJ of the set-up times as well.  They may have to work while your caterer is setting up, so everyone will need to work together and not get in each others way.
  • hollylfkhollylfk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our contract for Loft 11 was for 10 hours but they let the caterer / florist / lighting company etc come in early... it took the florist and lighting guys more than 2 hours to set up everything. Are you planning to have the ceremony at the loft? We did so that definitely added to the set up time.
  • joebeth22joebeth22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys! Everyone's wonderful on here (just signed on to be able to post etc. last night).  Since my Q, have spoken to two caterers whom I'm considering for the job who've worked this place before.  Both say they used more time for set up... that the place is flexible but that I should try to get that built into the contract.  Will try... haven't been successful so far and am eager to 'seal the deal' on the space since it's a sat nite in june (that was never my choice actually; wound up with it by default)!
  • gorjushgorjush member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    joebeth thanks for your kind words, very sweet of you :-) my dress was by sophia tolli. they carry her line at RK but i bought the dress in orland (my hometown). a custom combo dress sounds fabulous!
  • edited December 2011
    This seems an hour short to me - when I was looking, everyone offered one hour for the ceremony (some of that is everyone arriving and getting seated, and the processional and recessional takes longer than you would think), one hour for the cocktail party and four hours for the reception.  Believe me, the day goes fast enough, you should have six hours for the whole shebang, without set up or clean up time.
  • edited December 2011
    I would ask them that since you are doing the ceremony too you'd love to have an hour tacked on at the beginning for set-up. I bet they'll agree and not charge you any more money, or only a tiny bit more.Out of curiosity, which loft space is it? I looked at several before deciding to just splurge and do the Foundry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards