Wedding Etiquette Forum

Digital Camera Recs

So, we've got this honeymoon thing coming up soon, and our digital camera appears to be on it's last legs, so we're thinking about picking up a new one.We'd eventually like to get a DSLR, but it's not so much in the budget right now (nor do we have time to learn how to use it properly in the next 3 weeks).So my question to you all is this, do you have a point and shoot that you love?  Does it take pretty pictures?  If so, please tell me about it.We (I) are (am) partial to Cannon's but will remain open to other possibilities.
We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Digital Camera Recs

• Canon or Nikon.  I have had 3 or 4 now... one a Sony which was a POS.  THe other I can't remember but it went on us too.  Really blurry photos and $100 to get fixed.  No thank you.  Not when the camera only cost $250.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • We love our Canon Elph.  It takes great pictures, it's inexpensive (paid something like $140 last Christmas), and is tiny enough to slip into your pocket. 
  • I have a Canon SD1100 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It was $179 (CAD)...very affordable. Plus, they've gotten cheaper. http://tinyurl.com/2knx77
  • The one thing i wish we would have gotten before our honeymoon was a waterproof digital camera. Someone on one of our excursions had a really nice Canon one. It was 12 mp, waterproof up to 10 m (i think) and was really rugged so it can be dropped and stuff. i am very jealous of it. We googled it yesterday and it's about $300.
  • I like the one with the tennis player and her Pomeranian in the commercials.
  • We bought a Canon PowerShot last year before our honeymoon, I think it's the 12.1 megapixel one, and it's awesome.  It really takes great pictures and has a ton of features like macro, color swap, black and white, video, etc.  My husband is sort of an amateur photographer and he loves it.
  • I actually just got a new camera last night. I got a Kodak Z1485. It has 14MP and a 5time zoom. It was pretty cheap at walmart (179.00) I haven't had much time to play with it but it took some great shots last night
  • I JUST lost my Canon SD1000, and I considering buying it again because it took awesome pictures.
  • The one pumpkin posted is the one we have.
  • I do NOT recommend kodak easyshares.  The actual camera is fine but the software is a pain in the behind, good thing I finally got a computer with a card reader so I don't have to deal with it.  I don't have a digital Canon, but my film Canon is the best camera I've ever had.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • My Kodak takes awesome pics. It's a 10.2 mpx, point and shoot, very slim, 3 inch display screen. FI gave it to me for my birthday, but I think it was around $160 or so. No, it's not the highest quality camera, but for something like a honeymoon, it's great - not bulky, takes awesome pictures, if something happens to it, you're not out a lot. The clarity is ridiculous - I took a picture of FI sitting on the couch and the paint strokes on the wall showed up in my picture. I stared at the wall for 5 minutes trying to figure out if people could see them without a camera in front of their face.
  • I have two digital cameras, my Fuji F450 point-and-shoot and my Nikon D40 digital SLR.I love my Fuji. It is tiny (no bigger than the palm of my admittedly large hands) and the pictures it takes are always fantastic color-wise. I've had occasions where I've taken pictures in the same locations as people with other types of cameras, and I swear that mine always come out more color-saturated, and I think it's the camera. The design is clever, and the lens retracts into it like a spy camera. It's a model that also gets consistently great reviews.If you are thinking at all about an SLR, I would also highly recommend the Nikon D40. It is the least expensive digital SLR out there, and when I went to a camera store to buy it, the highly knowledgeable clerk there told me I was better off with that than with a lot of more expensive cameras. It doesn't take much to learn how to use it - I was taking pictures with it right after I took it out of the box. It's much lighter than it looks and feels amazing in my hands, which is important for a woman. I also got it with a great rebate that allowed me to get a second telephoto lens, and I am in love.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • FBIL has a waterproof case that you can put around the Elph.  I don't know how much it cost, but he's used it several times on SCUBA and snorkeling trips, and hasn't damaged his camera yet.  I'm sure they make them for other camera models, too...
  • I've hated every Kodak camera I've ever picked up. My dad's takes nice photos, but it's a POS. And his battery will only last about 100 pictures or so (with the screen turned off), it's a major PITA.
  • Thanks guys.  This should keep me busy with google for a few hours.Sarah, my coworker just got the D40 and he loves it.  With all the stuff he bought with it, his bill came out to $666.66.  Creepy.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • Two more things:1. Megapixels are meaningless, unless you are planning on blowing up your photos to cover your entire wall. If you are buying an SLR, don't get hung up on megapixels. My Nikon is 6.1 and it is plenty.2. If you want really good and in-depth camera advice, go to www.kenrockwell.com. That guy knows what he is talking about.
    imageimage
  • Hehe that's funny. Might confirm what I suspect already, which is that owning a D40 is a cult. Anytime you talk to somebody who has one, their eyes start to glaze over in trying to tell you how much they love it. I know I'm guilty of that :)
    imageimage
  • Megapixals are super important to me. I do blow up a good chunk of my pictures (I don't have one photo album in my entire house...but tons of pictures hanging on the walls, propped against walls, sitting on tables, etc.) So, if you're that type of person, it will make a difference. And P2, that's sad about your dad's Kodak. Mine is great...the battery lasts forever (and is rechargable) and works really well. The only time I've ever had a problem with a kodak is 3 or 4 cameras ago, the little joystick ball fell off. But it all still worked fine (in fact, I just gave that camera to my foster niece and she loves it even if it is a little ghetto).
  • Have you looked at dpreview.com? It's always my go-to place when I'm shopping for a camera. I have a Canon SDsomethingorother and it's way better than my old Nikon Coolpix.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • I have the Olympus waterproof camera.  I love it and it took amazing pictures, even right after you got out of the water. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Canon, Canon, Canon. Stick with it. I have one of the older Canon Rebel DSLRs, FI has a new Canon, either the SX10 or SX110, its a bigger point and shoot but has high megapixels and great features. Also a good one, but more expensive is the G9/G10 (G9 is no longer available, has been replaced by the G10). Megapixels are important even if you aren't going to blow a picture up. What if you take a picture but you want to crop it and print a small part of the original image as an 8 by 10? You need the megapixels to allow that smaller area to be enlarge to normal photo size. Sorry, I am a camera snob and a total Canon whore. I second dpreview.com for great, indepth camera reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards