Wedding Etiquette Forum

Oh goddess, it's slow.

Re: Oh goddess, it's slow.

• What would you do if you had a child who was gay?
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • May I ask, If you do not like the views that some people in this country abide by why did you come here to get an education?
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • If you're cross checking it (which I like to do also at times, when I don't agree with something my pastor says), what about the Nostic texts? Have you completely researched them? Are you sure that just as Jesus did away with the other rules, he didn't do away with other things? Or even add something else in, that you're not following now?
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • crap, second time. *Gnostic texts.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Tlv - Good question! I asked DH this question and his response was that he would love and support our child regardless of their sexual orientation. Phew.
  • That will not be my portion that I will have a child that says that - but my husband and I will address that with prayers because God did not design us to be that way. In addition, the Bible says that a child should be brought up in the way that he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it. So I believe that if I bring up my child in the way that God has ordained and prayerfully my child will not be that way by the Grace of God. But I have not worried about that - because the Bible says do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself as today has sufficient worries for itself.
  • Hmm...then I guess my best friend, that was brought up a devout Catholic, never missing mass, must have missed something along the way?
  • @ Ciaram - because my parents sent me here, and my father specifically said, " you're going to America to get an education NOT to become American, or imbibe their ways, cultures or what not", and several other things that he brought up. I came here because the universities back home are always having issues but my parents went to college back home and never went anywhere else. In a different time - I would  have done the same. Beyond going back home because I do not subscribe to a lot of American views, I am also going back home because I know I have a lot to contribute to make my country a better place.
  • Fishy would be proud of her 5 page poll!
  • Haha, she would. Thanks, Fishy!
  • because my parents sent me here, and my father specifically said, " you're going to America to get an education NOT to become American, or imbibe their ways, cultures or what not", and several other things that he brought upAttitudes like this make me angry.  So the U.S. is a good enough place for you to get an education, but you and your family clearly look down on our country for our "ways, culture, and what not".  This just really bothers me, and I wish people wouldn't use our country this way.Vogt: Sorry, I stepped away from this debate to get dinner.  The issue of teaching evolution can be tricky, but I'm a big proponent of separating science and religion.The thing is, you know when you enter the teaching profession that evolution is the scientifically accepted standard.  If you feel, morally, that you can't teach evolution because of your religious beliefs, than I think teaching science is perhaps not the best career choice for you. (this is a general "you" here).  A person can choose what subject they want to teach or even if they feel that teaching evolution will be okay given their religion.  No one is forcing them to believe evolution or preventing them from being a teacher if they want to be.  They do, however, have to teach the current science standards as mandated by the board of education.  And in today's society, that includes evolution. It's part of the job description.If a job I was interested in required me to do something I was morally opposed to, I wouldn't take the job.  Even if I was really excited and qualified for 90% of the rest of the job. It's a personal choice. Either you can perform the job as it is described, or you can't.It goes back to separation of church and state for me.  It is the parent's jobs to handle the creation vs. evolution debate for their children, not the teachers.
  • There's always private school. 
    Married
    Planning
  • @noelle - no one said we look down - we just disagree with A LOT of things in the American way.
  • That's true Tlv.  Although I'm pretty sure private schools have to meet certain minimum education standards to stay certified/accredited.  Even the Catholic and Christian schools in my area had to "teach" evolution on some level in their science classes.
  • no one said we look down - we just disagree with A LOT of things in the American way. If you disagree with so much of the American way then maybe you should have just stayed homeThis I disagree with, both of you.  There isn't an "American Way" as far as religion is concerned.  It's the most diverse country in the world, we accept all belief systems, ethnicities, etc, at least legally and theoretically.  I would never tell someone to stay home because I disagree with their religious beliefs.   However, KA, I really don't appreciate you generalizing "American beliefs" either.  The way you said that did indeed sound like you were looking down upon our country.
    Married
    Planning
  • Woah. Tlv... who deleted their post saying KA should just stay home?
  • I'm pretty sure it was ciaram, but I'm not positive, I didn't realize it was gone.  Am I going to get banned now?
    Married
    Planning
  • I doubt it tlv.  you copied it while it was still posted, and it was a single post.  We all do that in large threads so people know what we are referring to.
  • @ tlv sorry if you felt that way - but I did not have religious or beliefs in mind per se when I said American way. Obviously America has a lot of great points otherwise, there wouldn't be so many of us international students here pursuing varying educational degrees. However, there are somethings that are mostly acceptable that my culture would not, religion asidee.g living together before marriage, pre-marital sex, smoking the list is endless.
  • TLV I wouldn't dream of reporting you.
  • @ Ciaram - education and way of life are entirely different things. I can use education to build up my country but I do not have to imbibe things that American's find socially acceptable. Two very different things.
  • Why did you delete your comment?
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • who deleted what? I'm kind of lost
  • I'm just going to shut up now. I can't put my words into a way that doesn't make me sound like a complete assshole.
  • Stupid golf! Im so sad I missed this!
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • @ Ciaram I think what I'm getting at is - you probably couldn't live in my society/world - same as I although I've lived here for 7 years ( 4 yrs undergrad, 2 yrs 1st Masters, now on 2nd Masters), though I go home often for breaks) - I couldn't live in your society/world forever. We allow prayer in schools - in fact Christian Religious Knowledge or Islamic Religious Knowledge is part of the curriculum at schools. Everyone whether or not they practice identifies with Islam or Christianity. Our culture, our different religious beliefs aside, frowns at cohabiting before marriage. Our culture, religion aside again, frowns at premarital sex. In our culture, adults are never called by name e.g. I could never dreams of calling my future MIL by her first name.Smoking here is mostly socially accepted - people don't look down on you if you smoke - in my culture it is not socially acceptable.
  • Ciaram deleted the comment she made that tlv has in her post in italics. Fische, that's what you get for being away!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • KA2 I don't think I could. You are a stronger person than I am.
  • We allow prayer in schoolsSo do we.  We just don't mandate it.I could not handle living in a society where it is so accepted to meddle in other people's business.  A lot of people in this country don't agree with living together before marriage.  So, they don't do it.  What other people do is none of their business.  I think that's the biggest difference between your POV in this whole conversation.  Many of the girls who are in favor of gay rights said that they don't necessarily agree with it, but most agreed that what some other couple does really isn't any of their business.
  • ka, how can you say you treat everyone equally when you want different rights for a segment of the population? also, how does one "disagree" with someone else's lifestyle?  do you disagree that my friend philip has a boyfriend? i assure you, he does. i just can't get on board with anyone who thinks religion should have anything to do with law. it's infuriating. i'm also offended that she thinks my marriage isn't really a marriage because there was no religion in our ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards