New York-New York City

Alterations: POB vs. Kleinfelds

Hi Girls,I have a bit of a problem.  I  bought my dress at POB in Boston, now I live in the city and they are making me pick up my dress now for my May 2010 wedding.  I need to find a place for alterations and I'm wondering what people's experiences have been with POB, Kleinfeld's, or independent seamstresses.  Any recommendations?Thanks!!

Re: Alterations: POB vs. Kleinfelds

• brookeanderikbrookeanderik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress from Kleinfeld's and had my alterations done there.  Expensive, but I didn't get any good recommendations for an independent seamstress and I didn't want to trust my dress to someone I chose randomly.  They did a great job, but mine was super easy.My friend hrparker had hers done there too and there were some problems with it (they kind of made the seam crooked, but they were very apologetic and were able to fix it).So... mixed reviews from me.  :\
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Kleinfeld and had my alterations done there for the same reason pp mentioned -- I didn't want to look anywhere else for someone.  My alterations went fine.  I had super easy alterations to do and, obviously, no bustle.  The fact that I paid $600 for them to take in the sides a little and add some cups still kinda stings but...
  • joebeth22joebeth22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, to be clear -- 1)  is it possible to use Kleinfeld's as an OUTSIDER, i.e., if you've bought your dress elsewhere, even in New York? 2)  And does anyone know what they charge 3) whether they'd make a bolero jacket out of fabric from long train? 4)  finally (whew) -- after alterations -- do they steam, or press or even clean the gown?? For anyone who can answer some or all if these questions, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks ladies!  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Don't know.2.  Don't remember.3.  I'm sure they could (like, 85% sure).4.  They steam/press the gown, stuff it with paper so that it keeps it's form, and then put it in a garment bag.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2.  Just checked - mine and my friend's were $500 each (07/08, 01/09), and I think it's now gone up to $600 like pp said.
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, alterations at Kleinfeld is a flat fee of $595. I'm not sure if it is different coming in there purchasing your gown elsewhere. Have you called POB's store in the city? If I were you, I'd want to go there since it's the designer of your dress and will know the dress best. I wouldn't want to go to an independent seamstress unless you find a real good rec.
  • edited December 2011
    I called Kleinfeld's today (I'm in the same boat). No, you can not get your dress altered unless you bought it there. They reccomended a seamstress named Remziye Perkin at Pinpoint Bridal. However I googled her, and got really mixed reviews. Now I'm feeling a bit lost about where to go.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello. I have a great seamstress reco. She did a Vera Wang bridesmaid dress for me and it looked amazing! Just to give you an idea; she took it in  to fit me like a glove in the chest & waist. She also took it up about 5 inches (because I'm short!) She is in Westchester County though, not sure where you are located. She's great and well worth the money. I know she also does a ton of wedding and BM dresses. You can also try to call Vera Wang and ask for the list of tailors they recommend. I remember they had several they trusted with their gowns, so they must be pretty good tailors. (Just a random idea, I didn't use them) If all else fails go to POB. I've heard amazing things about them as well.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    gct2010 - Can I have her name? I'm actually getting married in Westchester so it's no problem to do alterations there.  Thanks!!!sarahjstrauss at gmail dot com
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Sarah- i sent you the details. Let me know if you don't get them. Have a nice day.
  • edited December 2011
    meglarch  - i have used pinpoint 2x before for bridesmaid dresses.  the first time i give her a B+, she did a good job and she is around the corner so i went back when i needed another BM dress altered.  the second time i would say she was a C+.  she is busy and distracted and i could tell she wasn't so focused on fixing my dress.  I went to her because Vera Wang also recommends her.  She's expensive though and I think you can probably do better somewhere else.  I wouldn't bring a bridal gown to her after the last dress she altered for me.  hope you find someone good.  i have no idea who i will use if i don't get my dress somewhere that offers alterations.
  • edited December 2011
    I know I'm late posting, but I had my alterations done at Sew Elegant by Esin Kirmizidag, an indepentant alteration salon.  Esin did an AMAZING job with my alterations and is a joy to work with.  She worked at Vera Wang for something like 20 years before starting her own salon.  She was expensive, but still cheaper than Kleindfelds.  Her number is 212-764-1701. www.sewelegantnyc.com/
  • suseehumansuseehuman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another late posting, but try Susan Ruddie at The Wedding Dresser - she does fabulous alterations and comes to you r apartment for your fittings. The work is wonderful, she used to work at Kleinfelds so she does the whole routine down to helping with undies, accessories, etc. She also does personal shopping for your wedding party. You can reach her at [email protected].
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards