New York-New York City

Photographers - NYC

Hi there - We've just started the search for a wedding photographer. This to me is one of the most important aspects of the wedding.Any recommendations?Also, what should we be looking for in terms of questions to be asking, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Re: Photographers - NYC

• edited December 2011
    I like Kim Salem and I know some other girls on her booked her as well:http://www.kimberlysalemblog.com/I asked do I own my proofs. I asked about albums including parent albums. How many hours, can I give a shot list etc..
  • edited December 2011
    I heard some horror stories from people about there pics and being charged extra fees at the end. To try and make sure this doesn't happen to us I have been asking. 1)whats included 2)if we get our proofs and make sure they do not say the word proof across them, 3)if we can get a CD with our pics and if we can print off of it or at least put them on line 4)are touch ups included 5)# of hrs 6)is there an additional fee for extra hrs 7)how many pgs are in our album and if parents album is the same as our but smaller or less pics 8)How many photograpehers do they send to your wedding 9)Also try to get an idea ahead of time hom many pictures you want to buy. (i.e. Do you want 5x 7's, thank you cards, 10)Make all agreements head of time if someone says we will figure that out later or if there is something you know you want and they tell you that you can buy it later but don't tell you a price be careful. Hope this helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I used Jimmy Ryan (jimmyryanphotography.com) and I think he's absolutely amazing.  I did a full review of him a couple weeks ago and it's probably still up on this board. Make sure whoever you hire is someone you'll be comfortable hanging out with all day. 
  • edited December 2011
    i am using Diana and Jeff of DiBezi.com. i absolutely love their work, and they really know how to capture the fun and warmth in your relationship! Plus she is really nice. on questions to ask, if it is an agency you want to make sure you see the work of the specific photographer who will be shooting your wedding. also ask how they feel about having guests with cameras--some photographers freak out and don't want your friends taking pictures! also make sure there is a backup plan for if they get sick! that they have someone whose work they trust who can fill in. and ask what would make a wedding difficult to photograph or make things unpleasant. they will probably answer that if you are hours late, that would make things pretty darn difficult. good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    If you are going to do your initial research online, I'd eliminate any photographers that don't have lots of their recent work online. For those that list their prices and/or packages, read them carefully to see what's included - if prices aren't listed, email them advising of specific packages you are looking at and find out prices.  Most will tell you their starting price; if not, move on. Decide what style of photographer you want to work with, that'll help you narrow your focus more.I say once you get to a handful of photographers, start calling to speak with the person.  You'd be surprised at how much of a rapport you can (or can't) have on the telephone.  Aside from discussing style, what you hope to achieve for your day, maybe even a very tentative timeline, ask about total hours, fees such as parking & tolls, whether an assistant is included (unless specified, usually it's not), discuss whether you want or need a second shooter, payment timeline, number of proofs included, etc. etc.If you have extra time, I'd narrow down your choices to two or three to meet in person and view samples in person.  Though if you are comfortable with online portfolios, then you should have enough info to decide what photographer you want to book.GL.
  • Daniela1229Daniela1229 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Anthony Vazquez. He is great, his work is amazing. I highly recommend his work. He has won best of awards and is featured on the knot. My girlfriend is a photographer and I asked her and she told me he is one of the best. He does some celebrity weddings as well and I don't think his prices are terrible. www.perceptionsphoto.com
  • edited December 2011
    Cynthia Convey from Convey Weddings!!!! 100% recommend. She has a beautiful website and blog: conveyweddings.comhttp://conveyweddings.blogspot.com/I'll be using her for my wedding next year.
  • edited December 2011
    Make sure you find out what's included in the price - how many hours, what cost for extra hours, how many shooters/assistants, whether you get online access to your photos, whether you get or can purchase the negatives or digital images at full resolution; also if they are happy to do some family portraits, some think of themselves as too "photojournalistic" for that.  I don't agree that everything has to be included in your package - I think it makes sense to buy your albums separately, as long as you have access to all your images - you may want to buy your parent albums or your album from a separate vendor and get a better price on them.  Also, lots of great photographers don't have blogs that show their most recent weddings, and blogs only highlight the ten best photos from each wedding.  You need to meet photographers in person, make sure you are comfortable with their personality, and look through their photos from individual weddings, to make sure they do details well and people/emotions well, and that there are 50 or 100 great photos from each wedding.Last piece of advice, gleened from being on this board for a while and watching lots of friends go through the process ... be careful taking recommendations from people who haven't gotten their photos back yet from their weddings.  Everyone thinks their photographer is amazing before the wedding... lots of people have complaints after the wedding.I had a fantastic experience with Shawn Connell from Christian Oth; I don't have personal experience with but have seen beautiful wedding photos from the following photographers: Jake McBride and Meredith Davenport from Christian Oth, Brian Dorsey and his associate Matt, Marie Labbanz, Todd Laffler, Kathi Littwin, Jennifer Davis, Danny Weiss, Kenny Pang, and Karen Wise.  Good luck!
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything mayflowerbride said, including her list of recommendations (and btw we used Shawn Connell and Jake McBride from Christian Oth for our wedding and were THRILLED with how everything turned out).Another one I'd add to her list is Chris Jorda -- he does fantastic work, particularly considering his price.
  • edited December 2011
    I met with Anthony Vasquez and I think he is awful.  His pictures may look fine but I wouldn't want that man anywhere near me on my wedding day.  He talked down to my DH and I, even after we let him know my DH is an amateur photog and knows what goes into editing, etc.  Also, when he called my DH up a couple days later to try and get us to use him he couldn't even remember what our wedding was going to be like.  Um, yeah, we told you we're taking 25 people on a bus for 4 hours all around Manhattan to take pictures.  That shouldn't be something you could easily forget if you were actually paying attention.
  • edited December 2011
    we are using Hechler.  i haven't spoken with him, personally, but he does a lot of events at our venue and it's who my party planner (who is my good friend's husband) uses for his personal events.  so i trust the recommendations!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    ditto mayflower and uppereast recs. and I loved Katti littwin!! an chris jorda! I know so many NJ girls that used him! such an awesome guy and great photographer!! I did my day after session with danny weiss. he is a great guy to be around!! Also check out kate drew webber. i just came across her and i'm blown away! she is totally going to be one of the photographers that double in price fast! one last rec. try contacting Chelsea Nicole, she was running a promo for NYC brides and not charging for travel (she based out of las vegas). If the promo is still going on you can get a KILLER photographer at a crazy rate by NYC standards! tell her Adrienne said hi!!
  • edited December 2011
    big opps!! meant KATE DREW MILLER in BK
  • edited December 2011
    We booked Kenny Pang.  Love him.
  • edited December 2011
    I also recommend Dibezi - they are awesome!  www.dibezi.net  blog and www.dibezi.com  website. I already had my e-pics with Diana and couldn't be happier.
  • edited December 2011
    kpeteley-- i saw your e-pics on Diana's site before i decided to use her and i just loved them! i'm so excited about her work. can i ask how you chose your e-pics locations? FH and i are trying to figure that out right now...though we haven't begun trying to think of a date for them.
  • Daniela1229Daniela1229 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sorry her about your experience with Anthony Vazquez, Jule. I found him very accommodating and wiling to answer the many random question that would suddenly pop in my head over time. It could be because one of his assistant photographers is my friend. He was very willing to work with us and we did our engagement shoot with him. The pictures came out great and he was so down to earth that posing in the middle of manhattan didn't feel super awkward. I know we all have different experiences but I am disappointed to hear your experience. I will make sure to be aware of i.
  • kemseyellekemseyelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked with Dreamlife weddings: www.dreamlifeweddings.com Their service is super sweet and they showed me their recent weddings, provided me references and were very customize with my package. I liked their albums a lot, and photos of course. I will have a free engagement session soon, still deciding when and where to go. Oh btw their prices are very nice too. I would recommend them although I haven't done any further step yet.
  • edited December 2011
    i used GE Masana and he was amazing!  speed and turnaround and quality was phenomenal plus getting photos and a hardcover book. . and reasonable too.. literally he was the one saying to us. . don't you want your photos yet? approve or book and WE were lagging. . . honestly I thought his pics were artlike. . . LOVED him   www.gemasana.com     
  • tucci013tucci013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used and adored Agaton Strom. His prices are so reasonable and the shots were breathtaking!  I highly recommend him!  I would look for a photographer that includes engagement shoots with packages.  Ours was so much fun!
    August 2012's May Siggy challenge: Favorite TV mom:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    This is SUCH a helpful thread. Thank you to everyone!! A friend of mine used Ryan Brenizer and LOVED him. Her photos were really beautiful -- his use of vibrant color is so gorgeous. He wasn't available on my date, but he recommended Punam Bean. I loved her website but did not meet with her because she's not available on my date either. I think I'm doing this too late! :(
  • ijw4ijw4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try Lina Jang- she has assistants so is usually available and her shots are amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards