Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Does it bother...

when old men call you 'honey' and 'girl' and 'missy?'well... and numerous other 'endearments..'On the one hand they are mostly sweet old men. On the other hand if another old guy tells me, 'go ask that little dolly upstairs about your party," I kind of might puke. I guess when the guy at the drugstore says it I am not phased, but the club members at my work bother me bad professionally.

Re: Does it bother...

• Options
    No, but it bothers me when younger men do.
  • Options
    I can generally tell if someone is a sleaze or is just a sweet old man.  So sometimes it bothers me and sometimes I think it's nice, depending on the person who is saying it.
  • Options
    I think it just depends on what the context is.If I'm having a crappy day and some guy is like "Hey honey, what's wrong?" I'll be less likely to mind. If I'm having a usual day and someone is like "Hey honey come here" my reaction would be "I have a name and that's what you may call me ."
  • Options
    oh god, don't even get me started on the younger men... that is just WRONG the things they say.But more I wondering if I am overreacting about the old guys? I know some of them are being genuinely nice. I just think it is so outdated and rude. Probably my problem...
  • Options
    I bartend at a golf course that serves mostly old men. I don't often hear much besides those terms. And I hate it. I've worked there two years--If I can learn your name, you can learn mine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd let it go. They were raised during a different era/generation.
  • Options
    I can't stand this. I work at a law firm and it happens allll the time.
  • Options
    Ricks, you are probably right.But like rach said, I just want them to know my name... and my work. I don't want to be known as the dolly upstairs.
  • Options
    I hate when anyone calls me any of those things.I especially hated it when I was little and my parents' friends would do it.And I especially hate it now when I'm walking down the street and men of the questionable sort come up and tell me I'm beautiful. (I also got "you have really nice ta-tas" on the subway the other day.) It makes me yearn for the Victorian era, when a man wouldn't dream of talking to a woman on the street, and wouldn't talk to her at all unless introduce by a male relative.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Oh I missed the work part! Sorry, I am working on 6 hrs of sleep within the past two days. I would not be happy with anyone calling me these names at work.
  • Options
    I call the guys I work with "hon" all the time.  I do it with women too (I think).  I don't really notice, but I DON'T say it to strangers.  When I was in my 20's I used to be bothered if I was called sweetie, honey, dear, etc.  Now that I am 37, I don't mind it at all.  I find that it is mostly older women that use those terms with me.  I got "sweetie" at a restaurant on Monday.  What is funny is that people who KNOW me would NEVER call me sweetie, honey, or anything like that because I'm not.  Biitch, maybe, but sweetheart?  never.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    I used to call all my guy friends babe until my husband told me it bugged him. I like when cute little old men call me pet names if they are not lewd about it.  I don't mind it at all usually.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like it.  It gives me the creeps.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I got into the really bad habit of calling everyone "hon" when I worked as a cashier at my local grocery store. You see so many people, and after having several ladies yell (literally scream) at me for calling them ma'am (which I thought was more polite as opposed to judging your age) I decided on a less age-related address.So I don't mind when people do it to me. But I have to try REALLY hard not to do it at work. I say "Thanks, hon" all the friggen' time... It's hard not to do it in the professional setting.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards