Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Anyone have hypothyroidism?

Thyroid problems run in my family, and the last time I had mine checked I was borderline hypo.  I've recently gained a lot of weight and have been unable to get it off, I'm tired all the time and sleep a lot, and have a myriad of other symptoms.  Whether or not it's thyroid related, I know I need to see a doctor because something isn't right.  But I don't have insurance right now and I'm kind of terrified because my mom had to get a thyroid biopsy to diagnose it.  SO...did you have to get a biopsy or was the blood test (TSH, T-3 and T-4) enough?  I'm not looking for anyone to diagnose me or anything, I'm just looking for your experiences.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: Anyone have hypothyroidism?

• Options
    yes, and i don't have the energy to type about it right now (how unironic). ask me another time when i'm around, if you want.simple answer: blood test
  • Options
    Thanks Jill, that short answer was enough for now. 

• Options
    Thyroid problems run in my family too, I was hyper and have had half of mine removed because I grew a nodule. My grandmother is hypo though and she just had blood tests and is on medication. I think it did take them awhile to get her medication right, but she has other medical problems too that I am not very clear on, so it might also be because of that. I also have an aunt with a lump like mine, but not big enough to be removed, and she has to get a biopsy once a year, but again that is with hyper not hypo.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Yeah, my mom was hyper too.  She had her thyroid radiated, and now she's hypo.  It took them awhile to get her meds right too.  I didn't know if the biopsy was for thyroid issues in general, or specific to hyper, and the things I found on the internet weren't helping much.

• Options
    almost my whole family has thyroid problems. I am on medication & I have been told I will be on it the rest of my life.. I have tried to go off of it & it just comes back.. I have never had to have a biopsy.. just a blood test.. I dont have insurance either & the blood test cost about $150. what symptoms do you have other than weight gain & being tired? not gonna try to diagnose you but it helps to know if we had the same symptoms..
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My aunt gets a biopsy once a year to make sure her lump is not developing cancerous cells. I had one on my lump too before they removed it. I was pregnant when I got it so they wanted to wait to remove, unless it was cancerous. I think for hypo though you would just need a blood test, because the biopsy's we have had were just for our lumps, but I'm not entirely positive.

• Options
    The blood test cost we can handle.  That makes me feel better because I can get into the doctor sooner.I'm also suffering from super dry skin, joint pain, brittle hair and fingernails, and abnormal periods.  I wouldn't think anything of those one at a time, but since my skin is normally oily, my hair and nails never used to have breaking problems, and until recently you could set your clock by my period (sorry, TMI), I think it's significant.

• Options
    That makes sense.  Thanks ama!  Sorry you went through that, sounds like it sucks.  Especially on top of being pregnant--I imagine you had enough to worry about.

• Options
    Yeah with all your symptoms I would say something is going on even though they are all small things. My doc told me that it's hard to tell what is or isn't because of your thyroid because it can cause so many different things. Mine is mostly under control now, although I do have an extra 30 pounds since having surgery.

• Options
    Exactly--even if it isn't my thyroid, something is going on.  At this point, I almost hope it's my thyroid because I'm getting incredibly frustrated with being tired all the time and carrying around this extra 30 lbs I can't shake.  The other things are tolerable but if they went away I surely wouldn't be sad about it.

• Options
    I only had the blood test.  Then I got a small dose of levothyroxine, and had to go back every 3 months for another blood test, upping my levels each time until they were right- about a year.  I had very similar symptoms to yours.  I feel much better since getting the right dosage of levothyroxine.
  • Options
    i thought my thyroid went out of whack when i was feeling really bad.  i've had thyroid issues since my teens, but it was being treated. then i found out i had lyme disease.point: don't try to self-diagnose.
  • Options
    Point taken, Jill.  I'm trying not to, but it's hard.  I'm definitely going to get into the doctor and get it checked.Thanks for the info everyone.

• Options
    I had a growth on mine and had to have a biopsy then surgery to have the growth and part of the thyroid removed to determine that the growths weren't cancerous. As a result, I'm "equivocal" but not sleepy all the time, so not on meds (yet). Your tests, and comparisons they make to past tests (we all are in a range of normal, some people are lower some higher, so they like to compare your results over time to make the call) will help them make the call on it. I had to have the biopsy b/c I had the growth so they could make sure it wasn't cancerous. I don't think you'd need it if you didn't have a growth.
  • Options
    Most of the time a blood test is what they use  to diagnose.  Funny you metion this.  My Dr called yesterday,  to schedule me for a blood test in 3 months,  My TSH levels went up some and she wants to make sure it is not because I need a medicine switch. I have been hypo since I was 18 ( I am now 36) and on meds since then.
  • Options
    I used to have hyperthyroidism which the doctors treated with radiation iodine. That resulted in hypothyroidism.  I now take levothyroxine every day and my levels have been normal for years now.  I do have a nodule on my thyroid that they keep an eye on by doing an ultrasound every year.  I had a couple of biopsies over the years as a precaution which thankfully were negative.  The thyroid is a tricky little bugger and can wreak havoc on your body when it is not under control.  You sound like you have the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism.  You really need to go to a doctor to confirm the diagnosis.  A simple blood test will tell if the problem is with your thyroid or not.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm usually a lurker, but for my hypothyroidism they were able to diagnose with the blood test.  They had the results within a week and now I just have to take a pill once a day.  It did take about a year for them to get me on the right dosage so that was the worse part on my experience.
  • Options
    J&K-if you are still reading:I had a couple TSH and T-3/4 tests.  Additionally, I had a biopsy.  I have hypo as I have Hashimoto's disease.  I am on levo like everyone else.  I had a biopsy because my thyroid had nodules and was so enlarged.  Thyroid cancer is very rare and apparently very easy to treat so do not get caught up in that.  They should be able to diagnose you with a blood test.  The biopsy would be if your thyroid was very enlarged or nodule ridden.  The pills are fairly inexpensive so get into a doctor, get diagnosed and get pill poppin'!
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards