Wedding Etiquette Forum

Destroyed Marriage License?

I had all my paper work together, and was planning to go to the DMV and SS office to finish changing my name on everything. I left the papers in my purse on the counter.I went to get ready and when I got out of the shower, I noticed my wonderful, adorable, lab puppy chewing on some papers. To my horror, she was eating my marriage license. *sigh*...Anyone ever had to get another license? Do I just call my clerks office and tell them my dog ate it? This is freaking ridiculous.

Re: Destroyed Marriage License?

• Marriage certificate?  You can just order a new one.  In NY you have to go in person or send in forms in the mail.  I'm sure it's the same elsewhere.
  • Hahaha, the dog ate your marriage license!   A likely excuse.Do you mean the certificate?  The license only lets you get married, the cert proves that you did.I would think that the clerk can make a duplicate.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • When FI's lab ate his passport, he took in the shredded remains as proof.They didn't find it funny.I also am aware that this isn't helpful to your situation, but aren't labs FUN?

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • The license that the officiant signed or the certificate? If it's the certificate you should be able to call/write/visit the County Clerk who issued it and get another. I might need to do that soon, I have no clue where my 5 copies are...
  • You can get copies through your local magistrate or clerk's office. Just go to where you got the license and pay ($5?) for a copy. And while you're at it, get another one, just in case.
  • Hah, yes, it's just the certificate. My brain isn't working quite right today. I don't think it seems to difficult to get another one, but I'm sure they'll think I'm an idiot when I tell them my dog ate it.And yes, LABS ARE TONS OF FUN! And they seem to like to eat important documents, so beware.
  • Yup, just go request another copy from the county clerk.This is why I suggested that you get 2 last week. :)
  • Sounds good. A couple of extra copies sound like a good idea also. Moose, I can't help but take a step back and laugh about it. Sure, she makes me mad, but that big dumb face and brown puppy eyes get me every time.
  • You are entitled to as many copies as you want to pay for, so if you don't want to tell them your dog ate it don't.  Just request another copy.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • clerk's office, as others have said. however, its usually more like $20, not $5.
  • I think a copy in MO is $9. I'm not sure how they landed at that number.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • This is why I suggested that you get 2 last week. :) I think I missed this? But that's okay. I'll sure be getting 2 this time. We keep in a file cabinet usually, I just had it out to take with me today. Apparently, the dog couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a snack the hour it was out of the file.
  • Regardless of the price, I have to get it. I know ours was $30 the first time. I doubt a copy will that expensive though.
  • My dog got a muddy paw print all over mine, so that's my standard advice to people getting marriage certs :) It'll be okay though, try not to worry too much!
  • Vogt, your dog was just giving it an offical seal of approval
  • LOL H said she was just super happy not to be a bastard anymore. :) He was trying to get out of trouble for leaving it on the couch when he brought it home. It worked.
  • Yeah, tell them your dog ate it, and watch them laugh at you. FWIW, my brother's lab ate probably close to $100 worth of computer cables, speaker wire, etc. He also ate the carpet on the stairs of the house they were renting, and ate/dug a hole in their mattress. Gotta love lab's energy.
  • You probably need a certified copy, so it probably will cost the same as the first one.  At $30/each, I wouldn't be getting two!
  • Oh, and my copies were only $5. It's definitely different from state to state.
  • I got a few duplicates after I sent our only one in for my new passport.  It was pretty much the easiest thing in the world.
  • In MN the first copy cost $9 and each subsequent copy (purchased at the same time) was $2.  I got five.
  • Haha sara! They are definately a breed of their own. So far we're down 2 cell phone chargers, a laptop charger, few chewed corners on our carpeted steps, a hole dug in a couch cushion, and the insulation has been eaten off the refrigerant lines going to our heat pump outside. But she seems so cute and innocent. It's like a sick joke.
  • >>I know ours was $30 the first time. I doubt a copy will that expensive though. Ours was $93.50. Additional certified copies are $2.50 each.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards