Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Yoga ladies

Has anyone ever done hot yoga? Thoughts? There's a center here that I'm contemplating checking out, but it's a bit pricey. Just wanted to get some oppinions before I go try a class.

Re: Yoga ladies

• Options
    I think it's one of those things you love or hate.  I've gone a few times, I really wanted to like it.  For me, my problem is that I'm not really a sweater, so I get super hot.  My H loves it - he goes once or twice a week with our neighbor.  I think it's pretty funny that their man-date is at hot yoga.
    I'm pretty sure Salt is a big Bikram fan, I remember some else mentioning it as well, but I can't remember who.
    Will they let you do one class for free?  Or do you have to buy a whole package?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I believe they'll let me try a class. If nothing else, I can sign up for the new student special and get 2 weeks unlimited for $20. My friend told me that it's $5 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I don't see anything on the website. Yeah...I'm not big on sweating either, but I've really, REALLY got to start doing something. My dad's heart attack is freaking me out, health-wise.
  • Options
    I know how you feel, I feel like a giant blog everytime H goes.  I did start riding my bike finally, so that's a start at least.  I say try a class and see if you like it. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I bought a package deal at my local hot yoga studio through Groupon. 5 weeks for 50 bucks, and you can take an unlimited amount of classes.

I love it. I take a class called Hot Fusion, and it is for all skill levels. It is 60 minutes long and is 100 degrees. I sweat like a pig, but I feel great afterward. My muscles get all noodly, and I've gotten a LOT more flexible in a short period of time. There were a few points when I first began where I would get nauseous or feel like I was going to faint, but that dissipated and I got used to the temperature.

I would definitely try it, especially if you can get a free class.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_yoga-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13c81f36-7d17-4aeb-a951-32cfaad0848cPost:32258cd3-1d93-4418-b20c-fd677ba7e04f">Re: Yoga ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought a package deal at my local hot yoga studio through Groupon. 5 weeks for 50 bucks, and you can take an unlimited amount of classes. I love it. I take a class called Hot Fusion, and it is for all skill levels. It is 60 minutes long and is 100 degrees. I sweat like a pig, but I feel great afterward. My muscles get all noodly, and I've gotten a LOT more flexible in a short period of time. <strong>There were a few points when I first began where I would get nauseous or feel like I was going to faint, but that dissipated and I got used to the temperature.</strong> I would definitely try it, especially if you can get a free class.
    Posted by laboheme68[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, this was my problem.  I should have stuck with it, cause everything else I really liked.  Perhaps I'll try it again.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I love it!  Most places will give you a free or discounted session - that's what I did.  I then realised that I love it :)
  • Options
    If you do it enough in a short amount of time you get used to it pretty quickly and those symptoms (nausea and fainting) subside.

That being said, this isn't everyones cup of tea, and I totally get that. I love it though. It helps me relax (destress), makes me more flexible and builds tons of muscle.
  • Options
    For those of you that like it, have you lost weight? I know yoga's meant more to increase flexibility and build long, lean muscle, but some weight loss would be nice too...
  • Options
    I haven't been weighing myself since I began...but to give you an idea I probably started this yoga at about 5'8'' ~135...at this point, I feel like my stomach is a lot flatter and my legs are a lot stronger.

So, yes, there's been a sizeable amount of fat loss AND muscle gain, which is the best kind of balance, imo. I feel a lot better, as well. I have tons more energy than I did before I started - you just have to remember to stay hydrated if you do this type of yoga, replenish your fluids throughout the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards