Wedding Etiquette Forum

Paying the the day of

How do I pay the people that I am paying the day of the event. Do you give the Officiant a cash donation or should I use a check. Same as for tips.

Re: Paying the the day of

• We did cash.  And really, I didn't think it even crossed my mind until 2 weeks before the wedding.  

You need to take that wedding checklist and burn it.  It's not the wedding bible.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • May be you can wing it BUT I cannot I have to do it all in order. LOL. Thank you. 
  • I plan on doing cash, and will probably put it together in varying envelopes a day or two before.

Also, please, questions end with question marks.
  • Usually vendors like/prefer/require cash if you are paying day of. If you pay a week or two prior I would say a check is fine. I don't think I've ever written a check for a tip lol. Usually someone close to you, or your wedding planner, will handle taking care of the payments day of so you don't have to. I tipped most of my vendors myself so I could thank them personally at the end of the night. 

• The officiant with cash the day of since that was all he accepted. Tips cash. I paid my reception the day before as I thought it would be weird for them to drop off the bill at our table at the end of the night.
  • Cash is good for the tips. My friend just made sure her dad had a list of who was getting a tip and an envelope with the money in there.

Somehow, for no reason I can think of, I feel like you should pay the officiant with a check. But I always feel strange giving people a big ol' wad of money like they're a hooker.
    Lizzie
  • I was just curious. I ask because I dont know. Thank you. Did anyone pay for her church? I think they may not want their fee in cash. It is a few hundred dollars. 
  • I paid my church in advance by check.  I sent the priest's tip with my thank you note after the wedding.
  • My church told me cash or check, so we did cash.  You can just ask them, it probably doesn't matter either way to them.  

And I know some people "need" the checklist, but as a lot of us said the other day, you are worrying waaayyyy too much about little things, and you are going to drive yourself nuts if you still have 4 and a half months to go.  Either that, or you just post about every single question that ever crosses your mind for the wedding.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Im on a tight budget so I have to plan ahead. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_paying-day-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c75bd19-f089-46a4-8504-440c6650115fPost:e3a8fee3-6945-4a20-aa1c-74fc973e70b5">Re: Paying the the day of</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im on a tight budget so I have to plan ahead. 
    Posted by twohollydays[/QUOTE]

<div>Probably most of us are on a tight budget....Google is your friend also or the FAQs.  I found a lot of my questions answered there.</div>
  • Cash in envelopes labeled with names. Our DOC distributed tips. I gave my dad the tip for the shuttle driver, kept the tip for the limo driver with me, and gave the officiant and musician money to DH to handle.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I only had to pay the photographer and the venue the day of. BM handed the photographer a check and a cash tip. He tipped everyone else in cash. My dad paid the venue on cc (he wanted airline miles) and then I wrote him a check the next day.
  • I'm planning on giving my MOH envelopes with cash in them labeled with who gets them. Its really not something that you need to worry about until a couple weeks before the wedding. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • we did cash, and gave everything church related to the priest at the rehearsal.  the only thing we paid the day of was for our meal.
  • Our church was required to be paid in full before the ceremony. My husband's Grandma generously paid that for us.

The remaining payments for the DJ and photographer we paid the day of. H had checks written out (they all said checks were fine) and we gave them to the BM to distribute.
  • I think everything (tips included) was pre-paid or paid after the fact other than the band.  H gave his brother a blank check to give to the band, and toward the end of the night, he told his brother how much to write based on the band's conduct (they did a great job and got a hefty tip).
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Have the checks (edited to add:  or cash) all made out ahead of time in separate labled envelopes.  Give the envelopes to someone trustworthy who won't otherwise be super-busy with other things.  Your MOH or Best Man might not be great choices, but depending on what you have planned it might work just fine.   Otherwise, maybe give the checks to the groom's dad?   Then give that person explicit instructions of who gets which envelope.   Tell the vendors that the grooms dad (or whoever) will have the final payments at the venue.   
    DSC_9275
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards