Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do you send a Thank You card to someone who didn't give a gift?

Just curious, if someone attends your wedding but doesn't give a gift, do you send a TY card? 

Re: Do you send a Thank You card to someone who didn't give a gift?

• Options
    edited April 2010
    If you think something might have happened to their gift... like it got misplaced or lost in the mail, then I would say yes: it will alert them to the fact you appreciate their prescence, but that you didn't get a gift.

Otherwise I think it's your call. If someone made a really special effort to be there... like expensive plane tickets or hotel accomodations, I would consider that a gift in and of itself.
  • Options
    I could be totally wrong, but I'd think no.

If they traveled to the wedding, then attended the reception, then you thanked them for their presence at the ceremony.  Unless they gave you a gift, I don't know that further thanks is necessary.
  • Options
    You can send one, to thank them for coming, but you don't have to.  The reception is kind of to thank guests for coming.
  • Options
    I would. It is really only a few more in the scheme of things and why not just go the extra mile? I agree the reception is that thank you, but I am a fan of always being as gracious as possible.

In your tahnk you note you can always mention a fun thing that happened at the wedding or talk about a time you are looking forward to seeing them in the future.
  • Options
    I agree with Meaghan. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    I would definitely send them to all OOT guests regardless of whether they sent a gift or not. But it has also been discussed on here that people have one year to give gifts, and sending a TY right away could make a guest feel guilty for not sending something right away, or like you're trying to point that out. I can see it both ways, so just use your discretion on that.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I sent Thank You cards to everyone, regardless of whether or not I received a gift.  I had kept a list so that I could give a specific thanks to the gift givers (ex:  "Thank you so much for our toaster") and the non-gift givers got a "Thank you for coming and being part of our day".  I also threw in a picture of us.
  • Options
    We did.  If we hadn't received anything from anyone we still would have thanked them for coming.

We had two people not give us a gift and we still sent them a thank you card for coming. It just didn't seem right not to.
  • Options
    I was really embarrassed the one time I received a thank you note for attending a wedding (I had gotten the couple a gift, but I have a really hard time mailing things & it sat in my hallway forever).  Even though my friend is super nice and didn't mean this at all, to me the note said: "hey cheap ass, thanks for coming to our wedding and not giving us a gift."  It did teach me a valuable lesson in gift giving.  I will now always mail a gift before the wedding or take a card w/ cash to the wedding.  I don't want to make someone feel guilty for not bringing a gift, so I doubt we will write notes to those who did not give gifts. 
  • Options
    I plan to send thank you cards to everyone, regardless of whether they gave a gift.  I'm sure you don't have to, like others have said, because the reception was the "thank you" for attending the ceremony, but what's a few more cards to write to make them feel appreciated?
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I feel that everyone deserves a Thank you... gift or not.   I think if you send a thank you to someone who may have sent a gift that you never received, the fact that you didnt even mention the gift in the thank you is enough to alert them that you may have not received it.. and they will probably call to ask you about it.
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards