New York-New York City

A winter wedding dilemma

Hello everyone,

My fiance has finally told me what month he would like for us to have our wedding next year. Although I would like to get married next Fall (October or November), he wants to have a December wedding. I'm kinda thrown into a loop because in New York, the weather is going to be cold in December and how on earth am I going plan on taking our wedding photos at a park when the weather will be cold and show off all of my fabulousness? But as he told me his reason for us to get married in December, I had a change of heart. Having me as his wife would be an early Christmas present for him, however I'm not sure how I can pull off a winter wedding. Is there anyone here who is getting married in the winter? I need some ideas how I can pull off a nice, fashionable wedding and pick an outdoor place for my bridal party to take photos that is nice in the winter.

Thanks,
bride of fashion

Re: A winter wedding dilemma

• I would try and talk him into November.  Two of my friends got married in mid november.  It was chilly but not unbearable. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • We did our engagement shoot between Chiristmas and New Years and it wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I even took my coat off for some of the photos outside and I ended up looking more comfortable in those pictures than some of the others! We were supposed to do some of our shoot in The Cloisters but we got kicked out for not having a permit. They said if we had applied for a permit in advance it would have been fine, so you may want to look into it. There is beatiful architecture inside and the grounds are pretty even in the dead of winter. It may be a bit out of the way (Washington Heights) so you would have to plan around that. We also did a bunch of photos in Central Park and there are some cool areas in there that are enclosed and less freezing. I've also seen gorgeous wedding photos taken in Grand Central, but with both Central Park and GC you will have to deal with the crowds. I coluldn't believe how crowded Central Park was even in the freezing cold.

Just make sure you have a backup plan and/or insurance in case of bad weather :)
  • Oh Good, glad to hear that! I was worried for a moment but now that I know people to get married in the winter and there are places where we can take our photos, I feel a little better about planning our December wedding. Thanks for the advice!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_a-winter-wedding-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:6a550743-2c9c-44b9-8701-b2f1e950dbf1Post:62a0d95b-7798-47f7-b2b1-93c782ab0c6e">Re: A winter wedding dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did our engagement shoot between Chiristmas and New Years and it wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I even took my coat off for some of the photos outside and I ended up looking more comfortable in those pictures than some of the others! We were supposed to do some of our shoot in The Cloisters but we got kicked out for not having a permit. They said if we had applied for a permit in advance it would have been fine, so you may want to look into it. There is beatiful architecture inside and the grounds are pretty even in the dead of winter. It may be a bit out of the way (Washington Heights) so you would have to plan around that. We also did a bunch of photos in Central Park and there are some cool areas in there that are enclosed and less freezing. I've also seen gorgeous wedding photos taken in Grand Central, but with both Central Park and GC you will have to deal with the crowds. I coluldn't believe how crowded Central Park was even in the freezing cold. Just make sure you have a backup plan and/or insurance in case of bad weather :)
    Posted by beautynthebeats[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards