Wedding Etiquette Forum

Anyone around?

Re: Anyone around?

• I remember when I got my job. I was 17 and was tired of always asking for money if i wanted to do something. I filled out the application by myself and turned it in and did the interview before my grandparents even knew that I was looking at getting a job. I was hired and had to take the minor paperwork home for them to sign giving me permission to work and grandma wasn't too happy. She paid for my car insurance and that was it. She was totally ticked that I wasn't completely under her wing for money anymore. I paid for all my gas, I got my own cell phone and slowly was paying my own bills living under her roof.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Haha my dad was much easier than my mom as I got older.  She was never over protective at all, but I always wanted to know what was going on.  It would be annoying when H and I would have an argument on the phone at night or something, not even yelling just talking and apparently I would get loud, and I would wake up in the morning to her saying "what were you guys fighting about last night?"  That was the only thing that drove me nuts, but it was tolerable.  Even now with me living across the country she still calls everyday and wants to know everything going on.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My grandma was also pissed when I bought my car. I went in with DH and picked the one that I wanted and put a down payment and bought it on the spot. They didn't get to help give me any money or try to talk down the price. She sent me on my way from our first visit at their house after buying the car with a nice hefty check in the mail to pay part of the car because of how mad she was. Weirdest thing that I have ever experienced with them.
  • I started babysitting at 12, and got my first job at 14 and worked since then.  So I never really got an allowance, it was more she would just offer to pay for stuff.  But all through high school and college I always worked and paid for my own phone and car payments once I bought one.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I talk to my parents almost every day.  Usually 3 or 4 days during the week and either Saturday or Sunday, but not usually both.  
  • My mom usually calls me around 9 every morning, which is noon for her.  She says she stares at the clock all morning at work waiting to be able to call me.  She wake up at like 5 everyday to go to work at the hospital, so she hates having to wait to call.  We have friends that always forget about it too and I constantly get texts at 6 or 7 am.  I just always tell people that the next time they do it I'm getting them back by calling them at 10pm my time.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • and here I am wining the award for "she who managed to move the furthest away from her family..."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I babysat starting at about 11.  I mother's helpered 2 nights a week after school and every Saturday for a lady with a 3 year old and newborn twins from my sophomore year of HS until midway through my senior year of high school.  I wanted to go to France later that year with the French club, and my parents said if I wanted to do something that expensive I had to get a "real" job and help with more of the cost (they paid 1/3  as my Christmas/Birthday present that year, and another 1/3 for the "educational value" that going would be.  I had to earn the other 1/3 myself and spending money.  Although I ended up calling them from over there and asking for more $$ cause I wanted to buy a dress.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-around-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:28dd0e5c-f663-4570-bbdd-7927a822ed5cPost:9400af1a-5a92-40d9-9dbb-aab7bf66ed35">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]and here I am wining the award for "she who managed to move the furthest away from her family..."
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]
    Ha - No contest :).
  • aMrs I don't even know what my mom would do if I moved internationally.  She already hates that I'm on the other side of the country because she hates flying.  So she is anxiously waiting for us to move back to the East coast.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • The thing I hated was being compared to my mom. My grandma would tell me well your mom didn't need to get a job to have her own money she just asked for it. They all expected me to be married at 20 and having a baby not to long after that because my mom was the oldest and I'm the oldest so they firgured I'd be exactly like her.
  • That would drive me nuts too Ciara.  Especially with how you have talked about your mom.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Good for you Ciara for being independent :).  
  • With the job I just told her that I hated being a freeloader and needed my own job to make my own money and be able to do my own thing. She reluctantly signed the work papers and allowed me to work. I've been there 7 years now.
  • H has been completely independent since he was 18.  So he loves making fun of me and calling me a spoiled brat about my parents paying for stuff.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-around-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:28dd0e5c-f663-4570-bbdd-7927a822ed5cPost:2ae97510-7604-4a65-9226-fe405587b11b">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]aMrs I don't even know what my mom would do if I moved internationally.  She already hates that I'm on the other side of the country because she hates flying.  So she is anxiously waiting for us to move back to the East coast.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

It's no big deal in my family.  My mom and her siblings all went to European boarding schools from Jr High on.  I'm the 4th generation in my family to live overseas at some point.  They are just thrilled that I got out of MI and am experiencing the world like they all did.

Funny thing is, Europe hasn't changed all that much since they were there.  IMy mom and I have pictures taken in the same spots.

Her favorite pic from our time in France is when we were at the top of a mountain in the Maritime Alps and I was wearing the sweater that she bought when she was 15 (paying for quality up front counts for something) and was on holiday...in the Alps!
  • I still had some things paid for but there were things that I paid for by myself. I had to have some independency to my life. When I was in school they paid for tuition but I paid for my books and for my ferry and bus passes. Which in the end each quarter was almost the same.
  • Oh that's awesome aMrs.  There is a camera commercial out now about a young couple being overseas and taking a picture in the exact spot her parents had been.  That would be so cool to actually do it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I have been completely financially independent (and moved out of my parents house to a city 8 hours away) since a month after my college graduation.  But I have the student loans to prove they didn't hand me anything, either :).  
    I had to interview for my new position at work, and I have a fairly new boss (he was my boss at my old position too, he just hasn't been with the company long) and he told me after the fact that he hadn't realized how independent I was, and that he was impressed I moved 8 hours away to go to college in a place where I knew no one, and then took a job in another place where I knew only a handful of people (I have an aunt and uncle here, and a few friends from college are from the area).
  • heck, I was even conceived in Rome.  Turns out dad went over to visit mom on Christmas break in her senior year. ;-)

so much for the protection of going to an all girls catholic boarding school attached to the Vatican!
  • All this talk about the teen years and growing up and all is making me feel really old.
  • My brother and SIL went to Paris last weekend (they are living in Germany) and posted so many pictures of stuff I'd seen when I was there... um..  14 years ago :).  It all looked the same - and made me feel old to realize that trip was almost 14 years ago.
  • Alright ladies I'm off to bed. I have to be to work at 8:30 and if I don't go soon its going to be not enough sleep for me. Have a good night and I will talk to you later. Thanks for letting me vent earlier.
  • The thing that cracked us up most in Paris was on the red tour bus.  They pointed out a bldg that was an example of Paris's modern architecture.  And then they said it was built in 1930.  So yeah, 80 years old is "modern" over there.
  • Night!  Sleep well.
  • Goodnight Ciara
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2010
    I started babysitting at 12 or 13. Then I got my first job at 15 and have worked pretty much continuously since then.

I lived at home all throughout college. Yes, I was that commuter student. I couldn't find a job right away, so I still worked my retail job and then took a temporary job (which helped give me the experience jump that I needed) where I met H. Fortunately, I paid for my entire college education cash and bought my first car cash. I never really had any bills. My parents didn't charge me to live at home, I just did a lot of chores and errands for my Mom when I could.

When I finally moved out, I had a nice cushion of savings and I was only planning on living in an apt for a year or two and then buy a house. Well, we ended up spending most of that for the wedding, so that plan went out the window. And the fact that I moved to be with H. I also continued to babysit for kids in my class until I moved here.
  • Yeah I always feel old when I talk about the "old days."  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Good night Ciara.
  • The saltiness of the chips is making me totally crave candy right now.  It sucks because I don't want to eat it, but I probably will have some swedish fish.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards