Wedding Etiquette Forum

addressing invite to grandparents

I feel strange addressing save the dates to "Jean and Jim"...is it okay to address them to "Grandma and Poppa"?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: addressing invite to grandparents

• i would use names.  or at least mr & mrs last name.  i did for all of mine, including grandparents and parents.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012
    I would use their proper names out the outer envelope.  If you have an inner envelope, then "Grandma and Poppa" is fine:-)

ETA: Just re-read and realized you're actually asking about STDs.  For those, use legal names.  
    DSC_9275
  • You could also address it to Grandma and Poppa Lastname. The last name should prevent it getting lost in the mail, but still let you call them what you want.
  • I did mr and mrs James last name for stds Invites should be formal outside. Inner envelope you could probably put grandma and poppa
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm not sure why you wouldn't just address them by their names.

It's also not correct to address the inner envelope with 'grandma' and 'poppop' either.  The way you address the person has to do with the formality of the event and not the formality of your relationship.
  • I used to send letters home from camp addressed to "Grandma and Grandpa LastName" when I was 10.  These are your wedding save the dates and invitations.  Make the level of formality of the address match the level of formality of the event, as banana said.
  • I isaid why I wouldn't address them by names...it feels strange.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I was wondering because other people I have asked said not using names was fine because Save the Dates are more informal than invitations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • all our mail to grandparents and aunts/uncles say grandpa and grandma jones   etc.  They have always gotten such a kick out of it.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_addressing-invite-to-grandparents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2b4204cf-32c2-485b-ac31-033e5596253cPost:f62d39a4-0086-4b90-bbcd-93b950b8d405">Re: addressing invite to grandparents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I isaid why I wouldn't address them by names...it feels strange. Thanks for the advice ladies. I was wondering because other people I have asked said not using names was fine because Save the Dates are more informal than invitations.
    Posted by rblac014[/QUOTE]

"Feels" is a rather odd reason not to address them by who they are.    I guess I just don't get it.   These are their names.   Why is it odd to write them on an envelope?
  • so what are you doing for your parents invites?   mom and dad, 5 main street, city, state zip?  or will you use names on their invite?

it just seems weird - you arent calling your grandparents by their first names, you are addressing mail to them.  its not disrespectful.

• Well I live with my parents so I won't be addressing theirs at all...plus they are handling invitations since they are hosting. Save the dates are something that I wanted to do so I paid for them and am addressing them and such.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • However the STD is still supposed to be from your parents since it's to tell people about the event that they are hosting.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards