Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Things I do not understand.

I'm browsing Craigslist, looking for part time jobs for after I move. Anyway, I see one ad that includes both "this is an entry-level position" and "applicant must have 2-3 years of experience." What gives? Which one is it? Those two things seem mutually exclusive to me. Entry level jobs are for people without experience. 

Maybe someone will hire me to write Craigslist ads for them. I should be in demand, none of these ads even make sense. 
Photobucket

Re: Things I do not understand.

• Options
    Well, see, maybe they count like...internship stuff as experience?

Maybe?

No?

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I understand coming in with only 2 years of experience and still being at the "entry level" job title.  But to me entry-level typically means fresh out of college.  That is dumb.
  • Options
    Hey Rae, stop swooping in with your knowledge and then disappearing.  I won't have it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_things-i-do-not-understand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c68c98a-6004-4cbb-b4c6-c970372ee329Post:45756265-cfeb-4579-81ed-1fdba832912d">Re: Things I do not understand.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, see, maybe they count like...internship stuff as experience? Maybe? No?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well the job was for a part time receptionist and the only educational requirement was a high school diploma, so I'm guessing not. </div><div>
    </div><div>Turns out finding part time jobs is really hard. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I have ten years of experience in my field and yet I'm still considered "a trainee."  I swear to God... there are days that I hate science.
  • Options
    SWWWWWOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I have that problem all of the time- I look for other job opportunities and they will be described as "entry level" (and the job description will be things I totally can do) yet they want 5-10 years of experience.  Or an advanced degree.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Anna, I'd apply for it anyway.  What's the worst that they can say? No?
  • Options
    Eagles, you are so irresponsible. UGH.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    So what does entry level even mean if everyone thinks you need experience to do it? Why don't they just call it something else like "biiitch work" or "job for people who are willing to put up with shiiity pay."
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_things-i-do-not-understand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c68c98a-6004-4cbb-b4c6-c970372ee329Post:2b7972a8-d0ae-4b63-8a0b-ba2046d0778d">Re: Things I do not understand.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Things I do not understand. : Confession:  I'm late for work every single day.  My boss is too, though. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

Confession, me too!  Plus every morning Matt looks at the clock and says "Oh no!  I'm late again!!"  I like to ask him, "When does it go from being late to just your normal time?"
  • Options
    Well, no one would apply for those....

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    For the record, I am ok with biiitch work and shiiity pay. I just don't have any experience in it. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_things-i-do-not-understand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c68c98a-6004-4cbb-b4c6-c970372ee329Post:51ed99b2-900a-4e72-b020-71fe37df5285">Re: Things I do not understand.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have ten years of experience in my field and yet I'm still considered "a trainee."  I swear to God... there are days that I hate science.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I love some of the titles I hear. Like...Administrative Assistant to the President.

Ok, you're a secretary, but whatever.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    When you're not a trainee in science, what do you become? A....scientist?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    What I don't understand is how people can drive shiitty when it is rainy, snowy, sunny, and cloudy outside. Come on people the road is not going anywhere.

Rupe I would apply for it  anyways.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_things-i-do-not-understand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c68c98a-6004-4cbb-b4c6-c970372ee329Post:828ee25b-188f-49c5-b4ca-20ccd3e44e60">Re: Things I do not understand.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Things I do not understand. : Ha! That is why we had to fluff the title for one of the positions we used to hire for. We called it Imaging Department Lead. Basically you scan documents in all day. That's it. We don't have that position anymore, thankfully. Well, we do, but it's not it's own thing.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I would rather just apply to a job titled "scanner" or "digitization technician" or something. I guess not everyone is as desperate as I am?

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't understand why the doctor's office told us the price of a whooping cough vaccine scales with our income and where we live. I mean, I get offering the vaccine at a discount to low income individuals and families, but that's not the same as charging us more just because they can. Shiiit costs what it costs, and I don't see how they can factor what we're able to pay for into their price. 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    WHOA WHOA WHOA.

SOMEONE LET LC BE A MOD!?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    The receptionist at a friend's old job was called the "Director of First Impressions."  I didn't believe him until he showed me the business card.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Entry level is a lie. Everyone really wants someone with experience.
  • Options
    I dont understand why it is so cold in my office.  I have the thermostat set at 85 and it is like a freezer in here.  Even wearing a blanket doesnt help.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I know right Fishy? Whatever they're smokin must be pretty good ;)
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    It was me, Rae.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_things-i-do-not-understand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c68c98a-6004-4cbb-b4c6-c970372ee329Post:5b5e2590-cded-4f57-8828-df66d0f92e52">Re: Things I do not understand.</a>:
    [QUOTE]The receptionist at a friend's old job was called the "Director of First Impressions."  I didn't believe him until he showed me the business card.
    Posted by LaBellaVita23[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is beyond ridiculous. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Things I do not understand.:[QUOTE]I know right Fishy? Whatever they're smokin must be pretty good ; Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

I voted for it :
  • Options
    THE KNOT IS GOING ROGUE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    My title is administrative lead, which to me, is literally an oxymoron.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_things-i-do-not-understand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2c68c98a-6004-4cbb-b4c6-c970372ee329Post:4fa7de98-ebba-48c9-8d46-260ccf6da9be">Re: Things I do not understand.</a>:
    [QUOTE]When you're not a trainee in science, what do you become? A....scientist?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

<div>You become someone that hates their life slightly less than a trainee.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards