Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inlaw invite etiquette

My brother was married two months ago and I of course met his now father in law and mother in law.  My wedding is in three months and it will take place in the town that the in laws reside.  My brother and his wife will travel a great distance to attend my wedding.  Should I invite my brother's inlaws to my wedding.

Re: Inlaw invite etiquette

• Options
    crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011
    If you have room for them you can. 
    But I don't think you absolutely have to...
  • Options
    If you have the space, money, and want to, then yes. It's not necessary though. Don't feel pressured to, just because you met them.
  • Options
    I would only invite them if you have the space, and if you have a relationship with them.  H's brother is getting married this summer, and there was talk of them inviting my parents.  My parents thought it was really weird, and were keeping their fingers crossed not to be invited.  They were thrilled not to be, since they have no relationship with BIL and his FI.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Personally, I would invite them. They are your brother's family now, so I feel that if you are able to it would be a good idea to invite them. If there is no room in your budget to add them in I wouldn't worry, but if you can I definitely would.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inlaw-invite-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e5378af-0584-42ca-9c8e-b66e35dff00ePost:668d38b4-c03a-4b42-bb91-f9d07b222794">Re: Inlaw invite etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I would invite them. <strong>They are your brother's family now</strong>, so I feel that if you are able to it would be a good idea to invite them. If there is no room in your budget to add them in I wouldn't worry, but if you can I definitely would.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, but that's not HER family.  I would never expect my brother to invite my IL's to his wedding, since they aren't of any relation to him, and they have no relationship.  </div><div>
    So many people have it in their head that a wedding is a "joining of 2 families," but it's not.  It is the creation of a new family, and these people being her SIL's parents do not make them part of her family.  What about her grandparents then, and siblings?</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, you are definitely welcome to invite them, but you are aboslutely under no obligation to do so, and nobody should expect that you do.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inlaw-invite-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e5378af-0584-42ca-9c8e-b66e35dff00ePost:75aa67aa-12f4-42d4-b6a9-f48403f25647">Re: Inlaw invite etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Inlaw invite etiquette :   So many people have it in their head that a wedding is a "joining of 2 families," but it's not. <strong> It is the creation of a new family, .
    </strong>Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

I love that you said that. My Fi says that all the time, and it so true. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inlaw-invite-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e5378af-0584-42ca-9c8e-b66e35dff00ePost:75aa67aa-12f4-42d4-b6a9-f48403f25647">Re: Inlaw invite etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Inlaw invite etiquette : Yeah, but that's not HER family.  I would never expect my brother to invite my IL's to his wedding, since they aren't of any relation to him, and they have no relationship.   <strong>So many people have it in their head that a wedding is a "joining of 2 families,</strong>" but it's not.  It is the creation of a new family, and these people being her SIL's parents do not make them part of her family.  What about her grandparents then, and siblings? OP, you are definitely welcome to invite them, but you are aboslutely under no obligation to do so, and nobody should expect that you do.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

because that is some people's opinion, mine included. and i think it is a nice gesture to invite them if you can, if not it's NBD.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    If you'd like to, go for it.  We're inviting my FI's sister-in-law's dad and grandparents but because they're often included at dinners and family parties.  If you enjoy their company and can afford their meals, invite them--I'm sure your SIL and her parents will appreciate the gesture even if the parents can't make the trip.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    If you have a relationship with them, then sure. 

If you only 'met them', then no I would not.   I didn't invite any of my siblings in-laws because I've only seen them a few times in the 15+ years they have been married.   Never thought about it.       

That said, my one cousin's in-laws were always invited to weddings.  That was not because they were in-laws, it was because they were friends.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards