Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding on someones birthday

My FI really wants 2/22 as our date. He likes the way it sounds and its right around the time we wanted it. It happens to be one of my MOH (I have two) birthday. I asked her and she got upset and asked if we could find another date. I don't see what the big deal is but I have to be understanding. Is she just being immature or should I simply pick a different date? My bday is 3/8 and the following weekend is St. patricks day. So that only leaves us with one other weekend to pick. 3/1 or 3/2

Re: Wedding on someones birthday

• She's being immature.  You can get married on whatever date works for you, your FI and your VIPs. 

Isn't that going to fall during the work week though? 
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• She's dumb.

I'm in a wedding on my birthday this year, I think it's fantastic. I keep calling it my birthday party. It's funny.

Like HEY! I got my birthday invitation in the mail! You didn't need to throw me such a big party!

It's great, and I'm happy for her, and I won't ever forget her anniversary.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I wouldn't worry too much about dates until you have a venue.

You don't want to get into a battle over a date and then it turns out that you can't find a venue for that date.

February 2012 is very soon.  Lots of places will be booked.

Also though, i think it being her birthday is NBD.
  • I wouldn't move my wedding because of a friends birthday.

• It's a Friday which saves us money since were paying for our own wedding.
  • Eh.  She gets a free meal and drinks for her birthday.  She'll get over it.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think it's kind to take everyone's schedule into account when picking a day.

That said, I wouldn't have any problem watching my best friend get married on my birthday, and if you and FI want 2/22 I probably wouldn't change it over a birthday.

Curious though: You say you "asked her" about it. if you didn't actually want her opinion, why did you ask?
    Lizzie
  • I don't think you will ever find a date that isn't someone's birthday, anniversary, vacation weekend, etc. If I were you, I would pick the date that works for you. This date is hypothetically in 2013, right? If it's 2012 that's SOON! Like....two months.
  • My calendar shows February 22, 2012 as a Wednesday.

• Hi Everyone, Newbie, lurker checking in!
    My FI and I are eloping to Maui and getting married on Feb 7, 2012.  This date is his grandmother's 99th Birthday and we think of it as honoring her by having it on that date.  Other people may think differently but that is our thoughts.
    imageAnniversary
  • Its 2013. I figured it might be taken so I told her I understood and haven't mentioned it since. I figured if the date is available then I'll bring it back up then.  I as well would be excited if it feel on my birthday!
  • MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:b8ce6f87-04b7-429a-bb84-7ae4d8f98e3b">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think you will ever find a date that isn't someone's birthday, anniversary, vacation weekend, etc. If I were you, I would pick the date that works for you. This date is hypothetically in 2013, right? If it's 2012 that's SOON! Like....two months.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

She said that 2/22/22 would be her ten year...

So i figured 2012.

I'm not good at math though...

ETA: She changed her OP.  She's the one that's bad at math, apparently.
  • My brother & SIL got married on my mom's birthday.  They had a birthday cake for her before they cut their own wedding cake.  It was cute.  And I always remember their anniversary!  If the date works with a venue and all VIPs (parents, siblings), then go for it.  She will get over it.
  • This math isn't adding up right, but whatever. If the wedding isn't until 2013, thinking of bridesmaids already is a bit premature. I would decide your date and not worry so much about bridesmaids quite yet.
  • Well, the OP has been edited but you said that your 10 year anniversary would be 2/22/22.

• @arags6 I don't want to upset her. Its my FI that really wants the date so I feel torn.

• Also, getting married on your birthday would be awesome and St. Patrick's day isn't a holiday that most people get really involved in, so that day would be fine too.
  • HAHA Yes my math was bad. We were originally supposed to be 2012 but we pushed it back. My bad.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:04b7d958-2803-478e-80a3-9837d1910c97">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, the OP has been edited but you said that your 10 year anniversary would be 2/22/22.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Ha! I totally read that too. I thought I was losing my mind when I just reread it.
  • 3/1/13 sounds pretty cool. I'd go for that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:04b7d958-2803-478e-80a3-9837d1910c97">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, the OP has been edited but you said that your 10 year anniversary would be 2/22/22.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Ha! I totally read that too. I thought I was losing my mind when I just reread it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:7598eb11-8f73-4da2-a186-49cbceec4bf1">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh.  She gets a free meal and drinks for her birthday.  She'll get over it.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

I went to a wedding on my birthday and it was fun.  I got a fancy dinner, cake, and dancing...  not too shabby.

Your friend sounds like she's five. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Just so y'all know (and can start planning a kickin party for me)
    my birthday next year will be on 12/12/12

And since there's no 13th month, that will never happen again after that date. EVER.  Plus, the world's gonna end so my birthday will be all kinds of AWESOME!

• That has got to be lucky Mrs. B! Last night I was being naughty and getting Jack in the Box drive through. My total was $6.66. Eery!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:80a57efe-67b1-4576-85c7-af4f662fc994">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's a Friday which saves us money since were paying for our own wedding.
    Posted by Mrsviau[/QUOTE]
    In a totally unrelated rant-

WHY do people have to mention that they are paying for their own wedding and they are doing X to save money.  You don't have to justify saving money for your wedding!  Besides, if your parents were paying for it, would you really NOT try to save money?  It's so weird and annoying to me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:d37e75e2-7293-4aec-bf79-d9550879df55">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I giggled at the fact that you're upset about your MOH not wanting your wedding on her birthday, but 3/8 is out of the question because it's YOUR birthday. I think it's really not a big deal to be in or go to a wedding on your birthday, and I don't think it's a big deal to have your own wedding on your own birthday.
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]
    I thought the same thing.  It's really not that big of a deal.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:094e63ef-4b7a-46b6-b24e-1a19bf3615c8">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding on someones birthday : In a totally unrelated rant- WHY do people have to mention that they are paying for their own wedding and they are doing X to save money.  You don't have to justify saving money for your wedding!  Besides, if your parents were paying for it, would you really NOT try to save money?  It's so weird and annoying to me. 
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

We're paying for our own wedding.  Do I deserve a medal?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:e1b004ac-830f-4703-bfa2-ee88aed83361">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding on someones birthday : I went to a wedding on my birthday and it was fun.  I got a fancy dinner, cake, and dancing...  not too shabby. Your friend sounds like she's five. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm getting married on my 5 yr old nephews bday... we jokingly said something to him and his reply was "Do I get more cake then?" lol</div>
  • I think she's being immature.  I was in a wedding the day before my birthday, and the B&G had the glee club (the groom was an alumnus) sing hapy birthday to me at the reception.  It was awesome.  If you could somehow acknowledge that it's her birthday, I think that would be great.

Gosh, this reminds me of that Bridezillas where the lady smashed someone's birthday cake at the rehearsal dinner.  She was PSYCHO!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-someones-birthday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3027c3d4-2391-47c1-9809-dc861332ba1bPost:deb36551-c5e6-4872-b10e-cb25f3923dea">Re: Wedding on someones birthday</a>:
    [QUOTE]@arags6 I don't want to upset her. Its my FI that really wants the date so I feel torn.
    Posted by Mrsviau[/QUOTE]

Hi, I mostly lurk, but had to respond to this. Your FI is marrying you and making a lifetime commit to you. Your FI is about to become your family, I think his feelings should come first. Good lord, what would your friend do if you became pregnant and you were due on her birthday? She's being very unreasonable.

Ok, I'll go lurk again. :)
    Alison - Too stupid to upload a pic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards