Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to indicate a +1 on invitation?

We have included a +1 for all "single" guests at our wedding. I had initialy thought of just adding an additional RSVP in the invitation.....but what if our guests think "oh, that must have been a mistake". My FI thinks we should just adress the envolpes as such: "M. XXXXXX  and Guest", but that does not seem formal enough for me...........any suggestions?

Re: How to indicate a +1 on invitation?

• Options

Your FI is correct - the invitation would be to "Mr. John Smith and Guest." 

imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Mr. XXXXX Jones and Guest would be correct for anyone who is getting a random +1.  If they are in a relationship you should find out the name of their guest and invite "Mr. XXXX Jones and Ms. YYYYY Smith
  • Options
    so what ages should get a +1? 18-years old or older? 16-years old or older? What is proper etiquette?
  • Options
    And how do you find out if someone is in a relationship if you aren't sure? Do you have to? Or is 'and guest' okay if you are mistaken and they are in a relationship that you were never aware of?
  • Options
    We are doing anyone over 18 gets a plus one. 
  • Options
    There's no age limit etiquette on giving a plus one.  A truly single guest of any age may be invited without a plus 1.  

Anyone in a relationship should be invited with their partner.  I personally think it's okay to only extend this rule to those 18 and over. 
  • Options
    puting Miss/Mr. & Guest is just fine...that is clear enough to send the message that the person you are inviting can bring a +1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-to-indicate-a-1-on-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3bf11ec7-6869-41bb-b852-c3341b75f5d4Post:cc9c0768-b935-4602-8328-8432f3f7b482">Re: How to indicate a +1 on invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And how do you find out if someone is in a relationship if you aren't sure? Do you have to? Or is 'and guest' okay if you are mistaken and they are in a relationship that you were never aware of?
    Posted by kateguess22[/QUOTE]

<div>You ask him or her. If the answer is, "Yes, I'm in a relationship," then you should ask for proper spelling of the SO, so you can include it on the invitation.</div>
  • Options
    There isn't an age limit. My little brother has been dating his girlfriend for over a year and he isn't 18 yet. I'm not going to tell him he can't bring her because she's 18. If you don't want to address it to "Mr. John Doe and Guest" just address it to "Mr. John Doe" and then add the "and guest" on the inner envelope.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards