Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding invites and reception invites

My finance and I would like a small exchange of vows with only our immediate family.  Then we would like to have a reception where we invite extended family and friends.  Is it rude to invite guests to the reception and not the wedding? 

Re: Wedding invites and reception invites

• If you just invite immediate family to the ceremony, NOT friends, cousins, etc., then it's fine. 

SaveSave
  • Some people feel it's rude, however I don't.  It's not against etiquette either.    As long as the ceremony is only immediate family then you are fine.

Both times I've been invited to such events the invites were clear that we were being  invited to a reception.  One wedding we got an insert inviting us to the ceremony.  The other we were not invited to the ceremony.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Immediate family ONLY is acceptable. That means ONLY siblings, parents, and grandparents. No cousins, no friends.
  • Yes, you can invite more people to the reception than to the ceremony, as long as everyone invited to the ceremony is also invited to the reception.

Who doesn't want to be invited to the party?!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-invites-and-reception-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3bf35971-cc56-4a00-8673-bf10368e108bPost:b9ce3302-6fc2-4ce8-a332-daa6bacf3c96">Re: Wedding invites and reception invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Immediate family ONLY is acceptable. That means ONLY siblings, parents, and grandparents. No cousins, no friends.
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't 100% agree with this.   One of DH's cousins had parents, siblings  and they each had their BF stand up for them (and everyone's SO).   All total it was 13 people.  I never once thought it was rude for them to have a non-family member MOH and BM.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'll echo Lynda that if you keep it really intimate it's fine.  And if you have any friends it should only be a BM/MOH. 
  • Invite is not a noun as your title implies.  You send invitations, not invites.

•     do i send invitations to my shower  to quest who are outa state???
  • That's entirely up to the hostess as to whether or not to include out of state guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards