Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Fashion "Rules"

2»

Re: Fashion "Rules"

• Options
    I stay away from leggings, because I have big thighs/calves.  I really wish I could pull them off because I think they look so cute with tunic tops.

And I'm either in high heels or flip flops - I don't really have a middle ground.  And I like wearing high heels with jeans.
    Photobucket
  • Options

Levi's jeans- black tshirts- one giant GIANT accessory. DONE!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Navy is a neutral, you can pair it with most things.
  • Options
    Alix, got it.

Ali, in the episode I was watching where they mentioned this, the girl needed the make-over because she'd lost a lot of weight and didn't know how to dress her new body. Her boobs were still huge though, so Clinton and Stacy said she should shop at plus-size stores to get shirts to fit her chest, and it was really emotional for her because she'd sworn when she lost the weight that she'd never go back to those stores.
  • Options
    I don't wear navy with black.  They're too close, IMO.

I always match my bra and panties.  As I wear a lot of white tops, I have a bunch of nude colored lingerie.

I tend to stick to classic basics.  Luckily, my sister always buys me trendy stuff as gifts so I have at least something "fun" to wear when I go out.
  • Options
    Aww.  I can so sympathize.  Love this thread, but now I'm off work and going to the GAP outlet.  Hope I find some Banana Republic deals! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fashion-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e9575a7-8992-406b-a5d0-4088fbc3d4cbPost:e015df08-0921-44da-9909-9468b3079222">Re: Fashion "Rules"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alix, got it. Ali, in the episode I was watching where they mentioned this, the girl needed the make-over because she'd lost a lot of weight and didn't know how to dress her new body. Her boobs were still huge though, so Clinton and Stacy said she should shop at plus-size stores to get shirts to fit her chest, and it was really emotional for her because she'd sworn when she lost the weight that she'd never go back to those stores.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

I feel her pain. 

I just got back from Jenny Craig.  I've lost 20 lbs. since I started dieting and 17 inches ... but not a single one of those inches has been in my chest!  I know this is supposed to be a good thing, but I'm having the hardest time finding clothes right now because I'm down to a 10 in jeans but still a L or even XL in tops, depending upon the brand.

I found a cute lace top online that I want for my e-pics, but it only goes up to a 12 (which is 39" according to the size chart) and that may not fit my bust.  I hate the thought of still having to shop plus sizes. 
  • Options
    Celles, congrats on the loss! I can totally imagine how that would be frustrating though - even if you know that it's just the boobs preventing you from going down in size.
  • Options
    Thanks Emily!

Jcbcsjr -- I actually did much better on WW Online than Jenny Craig.  I lost over 50 lbs. in just six months on WW, but it's taken me a year to lose 20 lbs. on Jenny.   I honestly think WW is the better program, but Jenny is easier for me now since I'm commuting three hours a day and just don't have time to cook or count points.  The food tastes pretty good, and is supplemented with grocery items like fruit, vegetables, milk and small amounts of cheese. 

WW was a lot of work, and I eventually burned out on it and regained everything I lost over the course of two years.  If you have the discipline for it, I'd do WW instead; if you're lazy like me, JC isn't a bad alternative.  Just a whole lot slower.
  • Options
    I never combine black/navy/brown with each other, ever.

I wait until trends are no longer trendy but are now everyday before I buy into them.
    (but I am not adverse to buying interesting/unusual clothing if I feel it is well-made and drapes on my body in a flattering manner)

No skirts shorter than mid-thigh. I'm too tall and heavy now, plus I tend to go for classic looks.

Bras need to be smooth under my shirts. I love bras with details but if they give me lumpy looking boobs under my clothes then I'm not wearing them and they are a waste of money.

No tight-fitting shirts at this point. I have too many tummy rolls when I sit to get away with that. I love the drapy looks that are popular right now, though, in the jersey fabrics and soft colors.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I tend to buy whatever is cheap/on clearance, and I usually look like crap most of the time.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fashion-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e9575a7-8992-406b-a5d0-4088fbc3d4cbPost:ff3fd49c-79e8-45e5-8f18-9a3edf336a47">Re: Fashion "Rules"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tend to buy whatever is cheap/on clearance, and I usually look like crap most of the time.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Bwah!

I've been laughing at all the posts about switching out one's closet from summer to winter clothes. I don't even have enough clothes, total, to fill a closet. I suppose it would be different if I lived in a climate where it snowed in winter and was really hot in summer, but here I can wear 85% of my clothes year-round.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fashion-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e9575a7-8992-406b-a5d0-4088fbc3d4cbPost:54012362-1406-454c-a5f3-21a4dbda71a8">Re: Fashion "Rules"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fashion "Rules" : Bwah! I've been laughing at all the posts about switching out one's closet from summer to winter clothes. I don't even have enough clothes, total, to fill a closet. I suppose it would be different if I lived in a climate where it snowed in winter and was really hot in summer, but here I can wear 85% of my clothes year-round.
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

Bubba, I feel you (I'm from the Peninsula). Now that I live in Santiago I had to actually buy winter sweaters, I can't just throw a sweatshirt over a short-sleeved shirt and call it winter attire, so I do now have seasonal clothes.
  • Options
    Emile, it's also so cold in SF in the summer that I keep my winter coats out all year long. :P
  • Options
    I have one rule:  Spanx.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fashion-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e9575a7-8992-406b-a5d0-4088fbc3d4cbPost:fac0797a-bc67-45b4-8845-551ca6dc17ee">Re: Fashion "Rules"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Emile, it's also so cold in SF in the summer that I keep my winter coats out all year long. :P
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

I have the opposite problem.  I'm never out of summer clothes!
  • Options
    Bubba, also true! Those 45 minutes make a big difference in the weather :)
  • Options
    My only rule is that if something doesn't fit perfectly, I take it to a seamstress and have it fitted.  I wait for sales and shop mostly in Ann Taylor and Brooks Brothers.  Getting it tailored is also a good way to know when to put down the cupcakes - there is no room to grow this way.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I can't have green on my upper body.  It makes my veins show for some reason.  I will wear a green skirt though but it has to be olive-toned. 

I will not wear pure white.  Same problem as above.  I look much better in creams and ivory.  White makes me look like a zombie and it was hilarious dress shopping.

No heels above 3".  I wear 2" - 3" heels almost every day but if I go a smidgen above the 3" mark, no matter what platform they may have, I will not last.  I will hate myself and never wear the shoes again.  I have size 5.5 baby feet and I think it's not humanly possible to put such short feet on such an extreme plane.

I prefer knee length skirts but mostly to hide my gargantuan thighs and terrible spider veins behind my knees.  Sailing = spider veins. figure skating = bubble butt and murder thighs.  No one explained this to me when I was 7.  I do like to show off my butt though.

Apparently no skinny jeans.  It's not possible.  I've tried.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards