Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Another paying for hair post :)

I'm planning on paying for my bridesmaid's hair.  My wedding is at noon, and while I love my three bridesmaids, none of them are morning people and I think it will be nicer & easier for them if they can show up to the salon coffee in hand and have someone do their hair for them.

My own style is very simple and easy (half up with loose curls).  I'm planning on just going to a little Queens neighborhood salon for it rather than paying $$$ for a fancier place or someone to come to my house.  I still have to do a trial, but I think they're competent enough to achieve my style.  I also have a feeling (judging from their website photos) that they would butcher a fancier up-do into some shellaced pageant-queen looking disaster.  I also don't want to end up paying double for said disaster (And yes I do feel guilty about this).

I'd like to let my girls know that I'm paying for their hair, but also let them know when brainstorming hairstyle ideas what the salon's limitations are so there are no day-of disappointments.   My wedding is an afternoon BBQ on a farm, and none of my girls are demanding or high maintenance, but I feel like I shouldn't offer to pay for their hair and then tell them how to style it.

Any ideas on the best way to word it, or any etiquette rules I may be inadvertently breaking?

Re: Another paying for hair post :)

• Options
    Are you familiar with bad, over sprayed prom hair?  Because from the salon photos that is their typical up-do.  I know my maids, and they would be very upset to spend the day getting photographed with that hair.  I wanted to forwarn them but I can't seem to get the wording right.  "Lower your expecations immediately!"

And no thank God, no nickel allergy.  I am allergic to "acrylic polymer resin" which is a filler in cheaper lotions, so I have to clean my ring two or three times a week and buy more l'occitaine.  I also got my ring sized down from a 8 1/2 to a 7 1/2 and its MUCH more comfortable.  You girls rock.
  • Options
    Let them know that it isn't a high end salon and leave it at that or pick another salon.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-paying-hair-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:415677c9-437a-4cff-9423-cccf26b544f7Post:644db4d6-2db1-4163-8c2b-eea157a4508c">Re: Another paying for hair post :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if your girls brought in pictures of what they want their hair to look like? Would the salon be able to handle that?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I'm nervous that they wouldn't be able to recreate more complicated styles nicely.   

For price comparison, I can get my own and my three bridesmaids hair done here for around $300, the same it would cost me for just bridal hair at most other NYC salons.  I would rather we all get our hair done than take myself to a fancy salon for the same budget.  If they keep their styles simple, I think they will have a better chance of getting something their happy with.
  • Options
    I'd pick a salon with a better portfolio, personally.  If you want to stick with it then be straight with them "Hey girls, I'd love to treat for your hair, I'm getting mine done at this place.  You can get your hair done however you want, but looking at their profile they tend a little towards the over-done prom look, so come prepared."
  • Options
    Kate is great :)

If a better salon was in budget I definitely would upgrade, but honestly we'd rather spend the money on better beers :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-paying-hair-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:415677c9-437a-4cff-9423-cccf26b544f7Post:a0be1317-7545-474e-aef5-60bc203c5c71">Re: Another paying for hair post :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kate is great :) If a better salon was in budget I definitely would upgrade, but honestly <strong>we'd rather spend the money on better beers</strong> :)
    Posted by NYCFoodieBride[/QUOTE]

Totally with you on that :-)
  • Options
    What everyone said. And yes, if you wanted a particular style, it would be totally ok to request it if you offered to pay for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards