Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Evening thread

Come out all of you and let's chat.

I just checked the weather report.  It's going to be in the 80s (with no rain) for the whole 24 hours that I'm on the ground in Florida this weekend.  Yay!

Re: Evening thread

• Options
    It's supposed to be great weather here as well. I thinking of taking my grandma to a Guatemalans restaurant. Her BFF of 30+ years passed away and I haven't seen her since we found out.
  • Options
    Your poor grandma.  :(
  • Options
    LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2011
    That's exciting Mica.  I'm heading down towards Columbus tomorrow for a dog drafting event with the puppy dog.  I'm assisting with the running of it, not actually doing any drafting with my dog, although we have done some training.

Edit - change link.
  • Options
    Heading to dinner with H in a few.  Be back later.
  • Options
    Do you draft your dog, Loopy?  How big is he/she?
  • Options
    It's been a rough time for her. Her only sister died a year ago last Friday and their BFF died Wednesday. I know that going out to a nice lunch isn't going to do much to help her get through this but I really want to see how she is doing without making it to obvious that I'm checking up on her.
  • Options
    Autumn is 85 lbs.  She has a cart and has done enough training to walk with it and do some basic maneuvering, but is not "competition ready".
  • Options
    Happy Friday night!  I'm watching some stuff on TLC about the royal wedding and can I just say that I was underwhelmed by the MOB dress?
  • Options
    That's really sweet and good of you, Dodgers.  I have a lot of elderly patients who are constantly feeling depressed because their loved ones are starting to die.  The ones who have family nearby for support tend to do the best through all the loss.
  • Options
    steelers -- I didn't love that dress either.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm going to brave SF Friday night traffic.  I'll see you all in a bit.
  • Options
    So sorry for your grandma, Dodgers!
  • Options
    Thanks Mica and Strlz. It's been tough for her and the rest of my family but most of we are worried about her.
  • Options
    strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011

Showing you care will help, even if it's something as little as taking her out for lunch and just offering to listen to her.  Ask her to tell you stories about some of things they used to do.  How old is she?  I have a great-aunt who is going to be 88 this year that talks a lot about how she's ready to go.  Her husband died almost 5 years ago and most of her friends are gone.  She's the last in her family (the middle of seven) and she just doesn't understand why she's still here.  Her physical health has declined some in the past few years (needs a walker to get around), but she still lives on her own for all intents and purposes (the past few winters she has gone and spent time with her children out west).  Other than the talk of wanting to go, her mind is in tact. 

• Options
    lucky you!

PM
  • Options
    Hi ladies.  I don't know how long I'll be around for.  We are having a very boring and lazy night tonight, but H has duty tomorrow so I feel like I should spend time with him.  We'll see.  I've been up since 3am and am exhausted.  He just took a 3 hour nap on the couch while I had to finish working.  I may or may not have slept for an hour too.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-thread-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:479120d7-d3a8-4eff-b0fb-c39e0f3f3f62Post:c600cc58-24c9-4a22-abd1-77c7df01ff91">Re: Evening thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]So sorry for your grandma, Dodgers!
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I'm tired... so after reading the posts about drafting dogs and dying Grandma... I read this as "So sorry for your dog, Grandma" and I was like SOMEONE'S GRANDMA IS ON TK? THAT'S AWESOME! </div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry, that wasn't funny. I'm just tired and it's not even 8:30... awesome. </div>
  • Options
    Hey ladies.  I'm here for a little bit.  We are trying to leave to go to dinner but of course as soon as I got done getting ready it started pouring.  Figures. 

J is watching the draft (still) and yelling about the Dolphins newest pick (again).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Evening ladies. Just dropping by to say hi. We are on our way out the door to have dinner and will then be heading to the hospital. I'm all sorts of emotions right now. Hopefully this time tomorrow he will be here.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    Good luck Ciara!  Sending thoughts and prayers for a safe delivery for all!  Can't wait to see pics of Baby Edmund!
  • Options
    GOOD LUCK, CIARA AND BABY E! :)  Can't wait to see pictures of him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Aww good luck Ciara!  Enjoy your last dinner alone for a while.  I hope everything goes smoothly and easily, and can't wait to see pics!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Good Luck Ciara.

I'm a little sad I missed FFF this week and the obesity discussion. I don't want to rehash it, but after sitting in group counseling at the wellness center this past Wednesday listening to a morbidly obese person struggle to figure out why they can't stick to the diet 100% and rationalizing the steps they have made as good ones just made me really sad.

She herself said her efforts towards her diet were half-assed. She's exercising more and gaining more mobility (which is her major goal other than weight loss since she can barely walk). The food just isn't there. The counselor asked her to stick to the food plan for just one day, knowing that the next day she can go back to what she had been doing (not all the way back to eating really bad, but half-assing things). Just one day. Her response? "You ask me that and my immediate thought is I need to go home and eat a gallon of ice cream because I'm panicking that I'm going to starve the next day."

She wouldn't really do that, but that just made the counselor see just how serious her emotional attachment to food was. The woman has said before that for some reaon she can have feelings that she's going to starve while at work all day. Even though that would never happen. Those are the kinds of emotional attachments/addictions that make people morbidly obese and keep them that way.

She wants to change. She just doesn't know how. But at least she's making the right steps at this point.
  • Options
    Aaand sorry, that got longer than I expected.

Dodgers ::big hugs:: to you and your grandma.
  • Options
    Good luck, Ciara!  Let us know you (and Edmund) are okay at some point, okay?

What happened to the thread?  Where did everyone go?
  • Options
    I don't know Mica! I was wondering the same thing.

Lucas is home, talking about his car. (I have no idea what he's talking about)
  • Options
    I know the MSP G2G is tonight, so that's where Andy, Fish, Musical, Nuggs and some others are.  KJB has a party tonight so she's not here.  And Ciara is pushing babies out soon.  That's the bulk of the nightly group.

Mkrup- I totally understand that people get emotional attachments to food, and have can have extreme difficulty with starting to change that.  I think a lot of people shrug off weight issues, but it's clear to me that a lot of people have deep seeded emotional problems with their weight and health, and should seek some type of counseling or therapy in addition to whatever diet plan they have.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, mkrup.  I wish you'd been here for FFF too.  That's a powerful story.
  • Options
    mkrupar -- That just really breaks my heart ... When I was little the doctor told my parents I had addictive/attachment issues so I have to restrain myself (like when I eat chocolate cake... I crave it for a week after)

FI's Uncle is morbidly obese, and because of his health issues he cannot work. Because he cannot work, he was taken off his health insurance plan. So it's a lose-lose situation unless he gets healthy on his own, which he will not do and it just bothers me because I want to help but don't know how or if I should.  ]:
  • Options
    It was really sad to listen to her say, "But I've already changed a lot and I'm still not losing weight." It's because she hasn't committed 100% to the exercise AND diet. She's exercising, but the food just holds that much power over her.

I think she might also be scared. Scared to fail? Scared to succeed? I don't know. I think sometimes people think it may be easier to not try, than to try and then fail.

I know that I'm down 31lbs, and I'm 5 away from my first goal that I set. That goal was the lowest weight I got down to the last time I did the weight loss thing. I'm terrified that I'll get there and fail again. So inderstand where that mentality can come from.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards