Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

In defense of the traditional head table . . .

2»

Re: In defense of the traditional head table . . .

• Options
    I think the traditional head table is fine. I've been to weddings that were done both ways and when FI and I ended up being seperated it was fine. Of course I'd prefer to be with him but really it's not the end of the world to be apart for a few hours, people will live and life will go on.
  • Options
    We are doing a head table. Its the norm for my family and circle. Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I mention the "captain's table" thing. I've never heard of it and think its weird.

These are the people you have chosen to stand up for you and they are adults and hopefully mature enough to handle one meal without their SO. Plus, all of our WP who has a date is family and they are fine sitting with other members of our families.

I agree that your reasoning is a little strange, but if you want to do just a head table do it. If you are worried about the sides looking even you could alternate BM and GM but then you have GM's squished between married couples.

You are going to get a better gauge of what you "should" do by asking those around you. This is too heated a topic with divided sides to find answer here.

You asked for opinions from people doing a head table and just got tons of people telling why you shouldn't...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with kimi - this isn't the best place to get positive opinions on a head table, especially on this board. I have a lot of unpopular opinions (cash bars for example), but I know better than to ask around here about it. Talk to friends and family about it! Maybe even your local board if it's a regional norm?

We're thinking about doing a head table. Mostly because it's "the norm". I'm probably going to ask our WP what they'd prefer though. Our WP consists of one couple, and two others that I know for sure have SOs. One is my sister, and her BF can easily sit with my family since he knows them all well (he's been around for about 12 years so.. I think he'll be ok, lol). The other is married and I'm pretty sure his wife will know some other people but I'm definitely going to check into it before we make a decision.

I've been to a wedding where my FI was the best man. I sat with his parents and brother. Yeah, it kinda sucked to not sit by him when I didn't know a TON of people, but I honestly think I would have felt more awkward sitting at the head table when I wasn't a part of the wedding party.

Do what makes you and your WP most comfortable. Like I said, ask them. No one here is going to know how they'd feel, and most people here don't support the idea of a head table. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_in-defense-of-the-traditional-head-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:52d60adb-a5e2-41bf-8d46-84b714e576d7Post:7e3d807d-e653-451b-98cf-059c706f86d7">Re: In defense of the traditional head table . . .</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In defense of the traditional head table . . . : Oh Howard . . . such a ladies man!  I want to know where he gets his collection of skinny corduroy pants.  Such a variety of colors.
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]
    I know!  My nephew is jealous.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_in-defense-of-the-traditional-head-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:52d60adb-a5e2-41bf-8d46-84b714e576d7Post:7e3d807d-e653-451b-98cf-059c706f86d7">Re: In defense of the traditional head table . . .</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In defense of the traditional head table . . . : Oh Howard . . . such a ladies man!  I want to know where he gets his collection of skinny corduroy pants.  Such a variety of colors.
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]
    I know!  My nephew is jealous.

• Options
    I this debate has taken me by complete surprise!

I have been to over 20 weddings and never seen the SOs of the WP sit at the head table....not once! In fact, I have never even heard of seating SOs at a head table, until today.

We will be doing a traditional head table. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards