Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Reception Card Wording

I'm trying to figure out how to word the reception card, but I can't find anything that seems to fit right.  We're having a somewhat formal reception with a cocktail hour at 5pm with dinner starting at 6pm.  The ceremony is at 3pm (should be over around 4pm with no receiving line), and it will take about 15 - 30 minutes to get the reception site after everyone gets from the chapel to the parking garage (another 10 minutes or so).

I do want to make sure people know there's a cocktail hour (as I haven't seen too many specific cocktail hours in my area).  I've googled too, and the best I can come up with so far are the following:

Please join us for a reception following the ceremony
Venue Name
Cocktail hour five o'clock in the afternoon
Dinner and Dancing to follow

or

The pleasure of your company
is requested at the cocktail and dinner reception
at five o'clock in the afternoon
Venue Name
Any suggestions are appreciated!  Disclaimer: I tried searching the board, but TK would only let me search the Maine board (which isn't even my local).

Re: Reception Card Wording

• Options
    I guess I'm not sure why you feel the need to notify your guests of the cocktail hour.  before my own wedding I had never been to one with a cocktail hour, but we just put "reception to follow" on our invites and then started the reception with the cocktail hour.  Is the cocktail hour in a different location than the rest of your reception?  Is there any reason you have to notify guests of it?
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    We used:
    The celebration continues with cocktails, dinner, and dancing
    at seven o'clock....
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would just say reception to follow.  No need to tell them about the cocktail hour.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reception-card-wording-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5322bb84-eb93-4665-999c-c208a8bc04fePost:e2f06caa-1989-430e-a183-b2b4704150ba">Re: Reception Card Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I'm not sure why you feel the need to notify your guests of the cocktail hour.  before my own wedding I had never been to one with a cocktail hour, but we just put "reception to follow" on our invites and then started the reception with the cocktail hour.  Is the cocktail hour in a different location than the rest of your reception?  Is there any reason you have to notify guests of it?
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

It's in the same venue but a different room with a seperate bar.  I just didn't want people to go sit in the room where the reception is and wonder why nothing is going on there at 5pm.  I also wanted to make sure people knew dinner wouldn't be right at 5 as well (since most weddings I have been to do that).  We will be getting pictures during the cocktail hour and making sure we are at the reception by 6pm.
  • Options
    Does your venue have people working at it?  They should be responsible for directing the guests to the appropriate room.

I wouldn't put anything about the CH on there.

Wait, are you having appetizers during the CH?  As long as you're serving some sort of food with the booze, I think you'll be fine.  It'll just be a nice surprise.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reception-card-wording-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5322bb84-eb93-4665-999c-c208a8bc04fePost:8017a573-7965-4e96-b446-4e5b83ffb263">Re: Reception Card Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does your venue have people working at it?  They should be responsible for directing the guests to the appropriate room. I wouldn't put anything about the CH on there. Wait, are you having appetizers during the CH?  As long as you're serving some sort of food with the booze, I think you'll be fine.  It'll just be a nice surprise.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]
    Sucrets is smart.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reception-card-wording-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5322bb84-eb93-4665-999c-c208a8bc04fePost:8017a573-7965-4e96-b446-4e5b83ffb263">Re: Reception Card Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does your venue have people working at it?  They should be responsible for directing the guests to the appropriate room. I wouldn't put anything about the CH on there. Wait, are you having appetizers during the CH?  As long as you're serving some sort of food with the booze, I think you'll be fine.  It'll just be a nice surprise.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

Yes, the venue has people working at it, but I'm not sure anyone actually greets and directs guests (something to ask next month at our tasting).  The place cards are out front, and that might be it.  And yes, we are having cold apps (maybe hot as well) during the CH.

Sounds like I'm overthinking it...since we don't usually see CHs, I just didn't want people to be confused (or think dinner would be served immediately).
  • Options
    If you have menus you can put a note there. So that way if a guest goes straight to the table they'll see it. Like:

Cocktail Hour - Held in the Robinson Ballroom (5pm-6pm)

Selection of artisan cheeses
    Chicken Satay
    Eggrolls with ponzu dipping sauce
    Fried ravioli pillows
    Swedish meatballs

Dinner - Held in the Harding Room (6pm)

First course
    Choice of Butternut squash soup with basil pistou or
    Heirloom tomato and burrata salad

etc, etc,

Then people know there's food somewhere for them.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Menu, mery?

We did menus, but they were at the table when they went into the room for the meal.  So that would kind of defeat the purpose.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Sucrets, I think mery means if the guests sneak into the dinner ballroom first, then they'd see it. 

Really, just have your venue close the doors to the dinner ballroom and not open them until 6 pm.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Yeah, that was my guess. Squirrly's answer is simpler.

You might also put a note in the program about where to go at the reception if you are having programs. I also assume there will be some people who won't come with you for pictures, like uncles and aunts, who will know where to herd people.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    You could skip mentioning the CR, and do some nifty DIY signs with arrows. I think signage on site is always more reassuring than instructions in hand before you arrive.
    I marry my best friend in... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "Reception to Follow" wording suggests that guests can go right from the ceremony to the reception and be accommodated.  If the ceremony is at 3, finished by 4, and 15 minutes from the reception venue, don't use "reception to follow."  People will show up before the cocktail staff is ready. 

"Reception to follow" means exactly that - that the reception venue, food and servers are set to go at the time the ceremony is finished.

I'm seeing lots of reception cards that mention a cocktail hour, by the way.  My planner says it's just fine, not a no-no at all.

For a 3pm ceremony, 5pm cocktail hour and 6pm formal dinner, we're using  "Reception at 5 o'clock in the evening." 
  • Options
    Wow, that's exactly what I'm wanting too... ((scratches head)) I'm stumped too.
  • Options
    I think the goal is to manage the expectations of your guests. Some think that the words "dinner reception" means that they will arrive and sit down to dinner shortly thereafter. It's only fair to your guests to mention that there will be an h'orderve or cocktail reception PRIOR to the dinner and whatever else you have planned for them for the evening. IMHO, the wedding can be all about YOU, but the reception is about your guests and their comfort, and as a hostess, you must do everything you can to allow them to manage their day. In that spirit, I'm using something akin to this:

Please join us
    for cocktails, dinner and dancing
    OR
    for a cocktail hour, followed by a dinner reception
    at four-thirty in the afternoon

Here is somethng I saw recently from a great website:

"List the cocktail hour on the wedding invitation, informing guests that “cocktail hour” will immediately follow the ceremony, and before the reception. If the cocktail hour is in the same spot at the reception, say “cocktail hour and reception” to follow. Should the location vary, inform guests of the address or adjoining space.  When you send out maps that detail ceremony locales, add the information about the whereabouts of the cocktail hour."

Taken from: http://ourweddingday.com/advice/Reception/Planning-Your-Cocktail-Hour/297.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards