New York-New York City
Options

Photography question

Hi all-
I've already posted this in photo, but also thought perhaps industry standards vary by region...

I'm just starting to navigate the world of photography- which is more complicated than I realized. I haven't been able to determine yet what industry standards are (waiting on responses) so I thought I'd ask you about your experiences. A few questions, if anyone would be willing to give pointers?

Did you buy copyright and if you did, were you allowed to:
1) Share on/submit to wedding blogs, share on your own blog and post on Facebook?
2) Edit your photos as you saw fit (cropping, photoshopping out crows feet/a spot on his suit/that beach chair in the background, etc., changing the color/contrast)?
Did your photographer indicate he/she would seek permission before selling photos of you to others?

Did you get hi/lo res photos or just one or the other, and if so, did you get all of them?
How long was your engagement shoot? Did you have any prints/editing/ included?
Did you get an album? Was having an album important to you?
Did your cancellation policy allow for full refund at any point? Any special considerations for death of bride or groom (I know, grim)?
What was your postponement policy (i.e. due to region-wide weather emergency)?
Did you just say the hell with negotiating any of that and just get wedding insurance?
What percentage did you put down for deposit?

I'm certainly not asking anyone to go through and answer all that- just any feedback is helpful. Thanks so much!

Re: Photography question

• Options
    We got the copyright to all our images in hi-res and edited. Once we had them we could do anything we wanted with them- so far we have pics on FB and a photobucket album. We didn't get albums because of our budget but plan on making our own with online vendors like photobin. I'm not sure what our contract said regarding selling our pics to anyone else but I don't think it's something he does. We didn't do an engagement shoot. We had to get insurance for our venue and all vendors were included with that. We made a down payment of a third of the total cost to reserve the date and then the balance was due when we got our CD of images.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    LaBelleNYCLaBelleNYC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    This article explains a lot of things about wedding photography, proofs, copyright, etc. /Could not copy and paste the link but go to/ http://artvestastudio.com/awp scroll down a little on the right side of the page and click the article called 15 Questions About Wedding Photography It can be very confusing, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out answers to the same questions.
  • Options
    I never even would've thought of most of those questions! Thanks for posting them!
  • Options
    Wedding photography can be very confusing, but it is very important to learn as much information as possible about the subject. If you don't have your copyrights, you can end up spending tons of money on prints! Any mistake can be very costly, trust me. My cousin hired the pros to shoot her wedding. At first she thought she made the right choice and found the best value. But as it turned out, they charge 15 for every touch up! Most of the studios include touch ups in the price of their packages but the pros does not. So, in order to get a quality product she had to pay SO MUCH MORE MONEY, she could have hired a fancy studio instead. Also, the first time she saw her wedding photographer was on her WEDDING DAY! Oh well, live and learn.
  • Options
    Check out www.luciophotography.com. There are many packages available, he was great to work with and he is incredibly talented.  I know he'd be able to answer all your questions and had a very easy to understand contract and was very easy going.  Definitely worth talking to him :o)  luciophotography@hotmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards