Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Need Advice: Congregational hymn at an outdoor ceremony

Hello, hello! We're having a ceremony for about 200 people outdoors in a mountain valley (and I can't wait!! :) I have always liked the ideas of a congregational hymn for wedding ceremonies in a church - I like everyone coming together and singing something meaningful with the couple and all that it represents. That being said, I know that it will be tricky outdoores. We will have a keyboard out there that could accompany the congregation, but it will certainly be hard to hear and different than in a church. I am hoping that as long as we pick a well-known hymn (i.e. amazing grace or how great thou art). So, what do you all think? Would it be awkward or beautiful? And, if you don't think it would be awkward, what are some good suggestions for hymns? THANKS for any help or feedback!

Re: Need Advice: Congregational hymn at an outdoor ceremony

• That's a hard one.  As a church organist, I have a couple of observations.#1)  You know your guests.  Are they used to singing congregational hymns?  Some people are, some are not.  Those who are not are going to be even less comfortable without a strong accompaniment supporting them.But if they are used to singing, the sound of a strong congregation singing a traditional hymn can be beautiful.#2)  Is there any chance of running a mic so that one person could lead the hymn on a mic?#3)  I don't generally associate "Amazing Grace" with weddings.  I play it all the time at funerals, have never had it asked for at a wedding.  The words are less suitable for a wedding, I think.I love the hymn "How Great Thou Art" but it's not necessarily easy for a large group to sing without a solid accompaniment.  Too many rhythmic issues:  pauses, holds, etc.How about "Holy, Holy, Holy"?  It's well known and if started in the right key could work.  It's hard to make other suggestions without knowing what hymns your congregation is used to singing.GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • AlliBAlliB member
    First Comment
    This really helpful... thanks! I would say that most of the congregation is used to singing hymns, so we should be okay in that department. It will just be different, as they are used to singing in a church with accompaniement, rather than outside. I think it has the potential to be so beautiful, but I don't want to make people awkward or uncomfortable!
  • We sang For the Beauty of the Earth at our wedding (in a church), but I immediately thought of it when I read your post.  I remember that the main characters sang it a cappella during Meg's outdoor wedding in the film adaptation of Little Women (1994): [url]http://snipurl.com/oc5ww[/url].  Just a thought, in case you are trying to come up with hymns.  I think the line "for the joy of human love/brother, sister, child/friends on earth, and friends above" is especially fitting for weddings.
  • britton:  that's a great suggestion.  I'm going to add it to the list I give to brides and grooms.  thanks.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Trix has some great suggestions!  I second the idea that you're going to need to blast that accompaniment.  Because 1- people won't sing confidently without it (and your vision of beautiful choral singing will sound, um, not good!) and 2 - if they can't hear, they'll all sing in different keys and possibly at different tempos.1-Maybe if you don't want to have a separate person to lead the hymn, you could ask the minister to lead, or at least get them started on the first few measures? 2-Or have a soloist do it, and have your guests join them on the final verse?3- Let your good friends know ahead of time so that they'll know to sing out in order to encourage the others.And yes, I agree to stick to something everyone knows.  How Great Thou Art, no matter how beautiful, is just weird unless you've got a great accompanist who kind of leads the phrases well, or an audience who counts.  I've heard "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" done before.
  • What about "Morning has Broken"?
  • I think it would be beautiful.  If you can get a strong voice or like pp said, someone with a mic to lead, even those who aren't real comfortable with it should be fine.  I almost decided to have "Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us"
  • How about "Joyful, Joyful / Ode to Joy"?  Everyone knows that melody and I think it's also very appropriate.  I do think it would be helpful to have one (or even a few people if that makes it easier for them) lead the guests but I think it will work either way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards