Wedding Etiquette Forum

Laser hair removal, anyone?

Has anyone had it? If so, what was your experience? 

*eta: feel free to reply to this thread as late as possible- I realise that right now you're probably all in bed/out partying!

Re: Laser hair removal, anyone?

• page jens a ten.  She used to be on SBAFB, now Caribbean Nesties.  I remember ther post about doing it and I beieve it was pretty positive
  • Oh, I didn't realise Jens had it. Thanks oot, I shall seek her out. 
  • I had a friend that's had it done, and she said it was pretty painful, but I think she had it done in her netherregions, so that could've been the cause for pain.
  • Funny you should say that Jess; I'm planning on having brazilian done- but I figure, it can't possibly be worse than the brazilian waxes I'm having done now! I'm considering putting in a birthday request to H to purchase sessions for me- they're rather expensive here, $70 per 5 minutes (which is apparently enough for one treatment for the brazilian) is the cheapest I've seen as it's a highly regulated industry in my state. From what I've read online, most people need 6-8 sessions. 

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons before I decide for sure. 

How are you, anyway? I see that you made it to the rodeo despite the illness?

• I don't know if she was doing any regular waxing before the removal, so hopefully your nerves are used to it! And yes...it's very expensive.

I'm feeling so much better. I'm actually souding normal again and I've felt good all day. :D Now, I just smell like barbecue, but I'm off to bed. Goodnight!
  • I haven't had it, but am interested in it, and I know FI has been considering it. I'm with you though sun, it can't be worse thatn a brazillian
  • I don't think there is much worse! lol. Not to mention, when you look at it in terms of expense- I pay $45 per brazilian wax... that adds up pretty quickly, so if laser works it will actually be a huge saving of both pain and dollars in the long term.
  • It hurts but it works. I have had that area done, among others. Some spots hurt more than others. It really only works if you have very dark hair or dark hair, blond hairs won't be picked up by the laser. It takes several sessions to 'get it all', I found that the 7 they suggested for most areas was not sufficient but they tend to start to drop the price after 7 sessions when there is less hair there.  It works but takes more than one session because hair can only be permanently 'killed' at one point in the growth cycle and hair is never all at the same point in a cycle.

I would suggest doing some research, not all laser hair removal is made equal. I can't remember the name but there is one type that is not as reputable as others (and is often cheaper) and it doesn't actually kill all the hair permanently. I know that the best kind has to be administered by a nurse as opposed to just an esthetician.

Some people said that you should take a tylenol or advil before to deal with the pain. I never took anything, I usually had red skin in the area for about 4 hours and that was it. In my case, I had to shave as soon as possible before the treatment that was about all I had to do other than show up. You also can't do it if you have been taking any medications that thin out your skin within about 6 months of a treatment (such as Acutane, which is why I stopped doing it about 2 years ago, and now I just don't have the $$$ to keep going!).

If I had the money, the only hair left on my body would be on my head and my eyebrows! 
  • edited February 2010

Thanks for your answer, numbers. The place I'm looking at going uses Candela Gentlelase alexandrite laser, which is apparently good.

I have light skin and dark hair so I think it should work fairly well... I done a little online research so far, and will book in a consultation this week to discuss the process with the place I'm thinking of going to, although I wanted to hear from others how they found it before I went in. How many sessions did it take you for the brazilian area, if you don't mind me asking? And how long has it been since you had it- has the hair stayed away?

• When I went I decided not to do a full brazilian, kind of a modified one...in retrospect I would should have done it all and when I go back to finish it it will all go!  The hair in the areas where I had it done is noticeably 'lighter' in quantity (I got it done because unfortunately the genetics on my mother's side of the family were not kind to me...).  So I think I got it done in 2007 and since then, the hair that was 'killed' has not returned (nor should it) but since I only had 3 treatments in that area the work is not complete if you catch my drift!  I think that in 7 treatments the majority of it would be gone and I would have just needed spot treatments (which at my place were always at a reduced rate).  HTH! 
  • I used to be an aesthetician and worked at a medical spa that did similar hair removal called IPL (intense pulsed light). Pretty much the same as laser. How effective it is really depends on the person. Majority of the clients had very good results, while some just had stubborn hair. As PP have said, dark hair and light skin is the best. Only way to have blonde hair done is by electrolysis.
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tried it but it didn't work for me. My hair is too light (reddish blonde). I attempted to have the bikini line done twice. It stung a little, but I didn't think it was that bad. But I also don't think Brazilian waxing hurts. I apparently have a pretty high tolerance for pain.
  • I know she's not around anymore, but DawnFromTexas did it.  She gave me some info and she really liked it.  If you have her email you could contact her.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Sun, I had it done too.  Started in 2006 or 2007, I can't remember.  I need a couple spot treatments now, which I'll schedule for early April, but I'd rate it a really awesome thing to do.  It does hurt, but only for a second with each pulse.  The place I go uses cold packs to numb you first, and thus no pain meds are required.  That also cuts down on the redness, too. 

As for the number of treatments. . . no idea.  Mine's a package with lifetime unlimited visits.  I know I went at least 7 or 8 times, and I need a couple spots, but I'm really down to some blonde hairs here and there.  Enough that I haven't thrown away my razor but I only need it once every month or six weeks.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I am having extended bikini done, not brazillian. Fi is paying for it, because it was his idea. I couldn't care less.

In any case, it is initially a little shocking, and momentarily hot, but not painful. To me, its not nearly as bad as waxing my eyebrows. I have had 3 treatments and hten the laser had to be repaired at the salon so im 3 weeks late for my next treatment. YOu can tell right away that its working, but if you go for too long (like 3 weeks late) there is new growth. The damned laser being broken is going to cost me a few more treatments to get it to be more of a permanent solution, I don't mind. I mighat actually convince them to give me one for free since the laswer was broken for so long.

In short, go for it. Its a weird, momentary hot sensation, but there is no lasting stinging or pain, and I don't find it as bad as wax. Oh, and per my friend, its nowhere near as bad as tattoo removal, which she is doing at the same salon.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_laser-hair-removal-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:60790461-d31c-436c-9dad-a96af6159633Post:b449a3cb-ff0e-4d60-ac9b-855bdfccdb49">Re: Laser hair removal, anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your answer, numbers. The place I'm looking at going uses <strong>Candela Gentlelase alexandrite laser</strong>, which is apparently good.   <strong>I have light skin and dark hair </strong>so I think it should work fairly well... I done a little online research so far, and will book in a consultation this week to discuss the process with the place I'm thinking of going to, although I wanted to hear from others how they found it before I went in. How many sessions did it take you for the brazilian area, if you don't mind me asking? And how long has it been since you had it- has the hair stayed away?
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]

That's the laser the use on me, and apparently that is the best skin/haircolor combination to have.
  • I just had my 5th treatment last week. I am the same as a PP, dark hair/light skin. In my experience, it is incredibly painful, but do-able and the pain lasts for only a second. I cried during my first treatment, but then again I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain.

When I first started to go in they would numb the area with cold packs, but now they say that is a no-no because it affects the heat that reaches the hair and thus it doesn't work as well.

So far so good. I'm getting an "extended" bikini as well as navel and underarms done, and I only need to shave every 4 or 5 days now. And when I say "need" it's not that it is full on growth, just spotty.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who, like me, has obnoxiously dark body hair. :(

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• I am interested in just getting my upper lip done.  Are the 7 treatments standard for that also?

How long before my wedding should I consider starting?
    Meaning is there a space between each session you have to wait?
  • 10 weeks between sessions is what my place does.  You should really do some research on local places, pick one or two that you like, and schedule a (free) consultation.  They can tell you what's achievable by your wedding date.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • WOW, really.  I was hoping to see maybe 4 weeks or something, lol.
  • i have been doing my underarms, i have had 6 out of 8 sessions and it is working really well.  i had very thick hair and now i have to shave maybe once a month.  the place i go to has a numbing cream that they put on you and you lay there for an hour reading a book, napping or whatever, so when they do the laser, you really can't feel it.  most places have something to numb you with if you ask, they may charge $5-$10 for it but it's so worth it.  i am thinking of doing my bikini like next. 

the only downside is that it does smell like burning hair which is pretty nauseating. 
    i go to Smooth Synergy in NYC
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • thesun, where do you live?  your laser and brazillians are super cheap, it's double that up here!  although i signed up for lasering during spa week so i got a really, really good deal, but i am super jealous with the waxings!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_laser-hair-removal-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:60790461-d31c-436c-9dad-a96af6159633Post:e6fb0512-02df-4f75-9057-28551cd9c3fd">Re: Laser hair removal, anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW, really.  I was hoping to see maybe 4 weeks or something, lol.
    Posted by Jo-Rose01[/QUOTE]

My spa does 4-5 weeks, for bikini anyway. 10 weeks is way too long IMO, but I think it varies by body part, as some get more bloodflow than others, and some types of hair grow faster than others.  I'm thinking about upper lip too, but we'll see.
  • I live in ontario canada and found a place near by that does the upper lip for $60, I'm assuming per session, is that a good price?
    And they also numb the area ahead of time, lol, thank goodness.
  • I have my consultation today, I'm a little nervous, lol. Undecided
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards