Wedding Etiquette Forum

Poll: Getting on your own nerves.

What about yourself irritates the snot out of you? You catch yourself doing something and you're just "Uggh, stop it!"  There has to be something.

I completely abuse quotation marks for pointless reasons. I use them for "everything" under "the sun."  AND I CAN'T STOP.  It's a sickness.  I need help.

Ok, now you go. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."

Re: Poll: Getting on your own nerves.

• I'm always saying the word "actually" under my breath. Like I'll get up from the couch, go into the kitchen for something, realize I want to do something else, say "actually", and then go do the other thing. It's a weird tic, especially when I do it out loud and I'm home alone.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • edited June 2010
    I am notorious for writing run on sentences.  I'm really surprised I've never been called out for it on here considering how much as people like to comment on grammar.
  • I have ridiculous fits of jealousy and body/self-loathing.  I hate it.  I usually keep it to myself, so it doesn't affect my relationship, but it sucks and it's stupid and juvenile and I need to knock it the hell off. 
  • I am really good at putting things off (but work well under pressure), and once I get started on something (say, housework) I go balls to the wall, until I can't walk (I have a bad back). It infuriates J, because he knows I'll go overboard.

I also sometimes use excessive punctuation, and I'm a grammar freak. But not police.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • edited June 2010
    I have a bad habit of quietly repeating to myself things people have just said to me.  Or things I've just said.  Not for conversation purposes, just...because.  Like my brains processing center is on speakerphone.   It's the opposite of awesome.

• I'm always running late.

I used to be an abuser of ellipsis, but I've mostly corrected that.

I have a twelve year old voice, it's especially bad on the phone.
  • CantiaCantia member
    First Comment
    I say 'to be honest' way too much. I blame it on WoW.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic International Nesties Signature Challenge - Place I would most like to visit
  • When I'm on the phone with someone, I always have to have a notepad or piece of paper in front of me and a pen, and I write down phrases that they or I say.  For absolutely no reason. I've also started using my index finger to "write" out words/phrases that I hear on television or in conversation.  And always in cursive.
  • edited June 2010
    I cry about everything. I'm one of those people who cry when I'm upset, sad, mad, nervous (especially talking in front of people). It'll be about the littlest freaking thing, but I can't stop it! I know it's coming, I try to talk myself out of it, but I fail, every. single. time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I get like this all the time. Just at random times. Like... MY GOD, I'm annoying today.

I say, "Do you know what I'm sayin'?" a lot.

I ask a lot of rhetorical questions.

This is partly me, and partly other people, but I will come in to ask ONE QUESTION. I would like for you to give the answer to THAT QUESTION, not a small speech about what you did over the weekend.

If you do this, I will probably walk away in a hurry pretending like I have something to do. Which I think I do a lot. And I think people are on to me.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I also say "REALLY? Really." A lot. Both really's. Different inflection. Equally annoying.

But I HATE it when other people do it.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-getting-own-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:60b52eb0-4ae2-4bd6-b080-88f0105202b0Post:6cabd6c3-6a40-449e-a43c-82dc5c0f9a36">Re: Poll: Getting on your own nerves.</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I'm on the phone with someone, I always have to have a notepad or piece of paper in front of me and a pen, and I write down phrases that they or I say.  For absolutely no reason. <strong>I've also started using my index finger to "write" out words/phrases that I hear on television or in conversation.  And always in cursive.</strong>
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]

I did this for years! Now I've replaced it with signing words and fingerspelling. greeeeat.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-getting-own-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:60b52eb0-4ae2-4bd6-b080-88f0105202b0Post:6cabd6c3-6a40-449e-a43c-82dc5c0f9a36">Re: Poll: Getting on your own nerves.</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I'm on the phone with someone, I always have to have a notepad or piece of paper in front of me and a pen, and I write down phrases that they or I say.  For absolutely no reason. I've also started using my index finger to "write" out words/phrases that I hear on television or in conversation.  And always in cursive.
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]

Haha! That's so funny. I doodle my name of little flowers or something on paper if it's near me and I'm on the phone. It doesn't drive me crazy, I just thought of it when I read this. A million things drive me crazy about myself though....I just can't think of any right now.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I overthink everything.  It drives everyone crazy, but not half as crazy as it drives me.

I also gnaw on my cuticles all the time.  Grosses me out, but I can't stop.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Oh, I also mutter under my breath if I'm grumpy, and J calls me on it. Like the other day, we were supposed to have dinner together after my MRI, and I got my phone out to call him when it was over, and he'd sent me a text while I was waiting at the hospital saying he was going riding with his buddy. I ate dinner out by myself. When he got home, he was all apologetic and crap, and said, I didn't think those plans were set, and it's more fun to ride with someone else you know? So as he walked away, I muttered, yeah, and it's also more fun to eat out with someone else than alone, too.
    It was mean, and uncalled for, and I had to apologize.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Superfluous nervous giggling.

Seriously.  When I'm nervous, I giggle like a two year old on speed.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • I twirl my hair a lot and it bugs the crap out of me. An ex told me a few times that it made me look like an airhead. I cut my hair short once to try to prevent it and I still did it. Guess I'm just meant to look like an airhead.

I also laugh when I'm nervous or really anxious and it can be poorly timed. Like, as exFI and I were discussing breaking up, I kept giggling. YEAH. Highly inappropriate.
  • I'm with you on the jealousy thing OWN.

I interrupt people a lot if we're talking about something even semi-exciting and then I feel bad because if someone interrupts me I totally lose my shiit.

I pick at my fingernails and when I catch myself I get really pissed off.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • I repeat stories. My mom and my paternal grandmother both have/had this issue, so I'm totally screwed in that regard. I also feel that my vocabulary is limited, especially in oral conversation. I use the same words and phrases over and over. One friend pointed out that I used to use, "and everything like that" to end a lot of my sentences. I stopped, but since then I've added other "key" phrases into my repertoire.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I'm impulsive and constantly ignore my internal "bad idea" warnings. Then I feel really stupid after whatever it is I've done because I KNEW it was a bad idea. 
  • I take forever to leave the house.  Forever.

Do I have my keys?
    I forgot my chapstick.
    Are those files in the car? No? Oh.
    Did I leave the stove on?
    Hold on, I'm going to get a water.
    Did you lock the door?
    Oh, I don't have a sweater.
    Maybe I'll change shoes.
    My shuffle is in my other purse.
    Are you sure I didn't leave the stove on?

I'd love to know the total time I lose a year with this little exercise.

• I use commas way too much. It annoys me to no end, I almost want FI to give me grammar lessions.

August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-getting-own-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:60b52eb0-4ae2-4bd6-b080-88f0105202b0Post:d0d7135c-3a4d-4396-88d8-74dacfd2df11">Re: Poll: Getting on your own nerves.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take forever to leave the house.  Forever. Do I have my keys? I forgot my chapstick. Are those files in the car? No? Oh. Did I leave the stove on? Hold on, I'm going to get a water. Did you lock the door? Oh, I don't have a sweater. Maybe I'll change shoes. My shuffle is in my other purse. Are you sure I didn't leave the stove on? I'd love to know the total time I lose a year with this little exercise.
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

I did this too, before Declan. Now it's just even worse because I do it for my own things AND Declan's things. I've started getting ready for the morning before I go to bed (packing my lunch and his lunch before hand, picking out our outfits, etc) but I still go crazy.
  • I eat the same breakfast every day and basically the same lunch every workday.  It annoys me because I know I LIKE other food, but I know that what I eat now will keep me full and is nutritionally sound.  I panic that other food just won't cut it.  So I'm a creature of habit and it bugs me.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I have a slight OCD problem when it comes to the fridge and pantry. If I see a can with the label not facing forward, or something in the fridge isn't lined up right, I have to fix it. I'll even try to leave it and walk away but will get such a panic feeling in my chest that I have to go back.

I get really bad bouts of loneliness and I hate it because it makes DH feel bad, like he's not enough. Really it's just that I want to be in the same town as my family or that I miss my friends, who all moved away. It has nothing to do with DH so most of the time I don't tell him.
  • LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-getting-own-nerves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:60b52eb0-4ae2-4bd6-b080-88f0105202b0Post:448140cb-75c3-424f-a73d-5f515ec2376a">Re: Poll: Getting on your own nerves.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Getting on your own nerves. : Haha! That's so funny. I doodle my name of little flowers or something on paper if it's near me and I'm on the phone. It doesn't drive me crazy, I just thought of it when I read this. A million things drive me crazy about myself though....I just can't think of any right now.
    Posted by soontobehimes[/QUOTE]

Love the dress!

I type too fast, and usually don't slow down long enough to spell check, which ends up in a posted typo ,and well yeah you all know what happens then.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I repeat myself during normal conversation.  A lot.  Even though it is clear that I was heard and understood the first time.  I've recently been trying to stop - but I have to consciously say 'shut up, they heard you' in my head.

I, too, am insanely jealous.  Usually for no rational reason whatsoever.  I'm really trying to work on this - it's just not fair to DH (or anyone else who has to deal with it).
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I say "like" and "you know" like I'm Miley Cyrus. I hate it, it's annoying. Also, if I have nothing to add after answering a question, but the asker is staring at me (because they don't like my answer), I just say, "so..." and then they really think I'm about to say more. But I never do.

If I'm on the phone and there's a pair of scissors within reach, I'll cut anything near me. I end up having to hid the scissors when I get on the phone so I won't do it.
    planning

• Sometimes I just start talking and assume everyone else knows where my brain was last.

very bad habit
  • East, you may like this blog: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

It's pretty funny.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards