Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Historical church w/character or a simple one?

I need some input here, my FI and I recently decided to have a local wedding vs a destination wedding. That being said I found a church and reception site. The Church is an 1882 Episcopal church, not beautiful on the outside but way cool on the inside. Nice wood pews, stained glass and a real pipe organ. It has alot of character, but it is not in a great part of town, and parking is a challenge. I described it just like this to my parents and my mom is all concerned. I am sure I can find another place, but it won't have this character, and my FI and I love the uniqueness of it. What do you think?

Re: Historical church w/character or a simple one?

• Ditto retread.  I admit that I tend to jump at this one, probably because I work in a church.  It's gorgeous and historic and has a pipe organ (that I play!)But that shouldn't be the reason people get married in our church.  It isn't a stage set for a production.  You should be choosing a church because you believe in the tenets of that church.Please tell me that your post just came across badly.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Get married in a church where you feel close to God and where you feel that your particular faith is most supported. If your reasons for picking a church do not include faith or your relationship with God and the congregation, then don't get married in a church, period. Find a pretty secular place if your main concerns are looks and "character" and uniqueness and parking.
  • Sounds like the wedding chapel I selected; I blame it on pre-wedding excitement. We had our second meeting with the futer in laws today and I wasn't left feeling good about it. The hard part is, I already put down a deposit, so refunding is not an option. My advise to you, is it's your day so it should be your decision. We found out today that we can't come in early and decorate the pews and immediately after the ceremony we have to take everything we brought in out. You might also want to find out how you you would be making your way up the aisle. I found out today I would have to walk outside and then up through the front of the chapel. Good luck!
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • We're also getting married in a historic church.  We're getting married there because of the history and uniqueness.  If that's the place you both want, I think you can work out the rest of the details.  If you're just doing the ceremony there - couldn't you go across town to another location for the reception?  Perhaps a better part of town - to appease your mother? :)
    Photobucket
  • daytime wedding & valet parking with extra people to watch the cars. reception in a better part of town.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards