Wedding Etiquette Forum

What did you wear... under there?

2»

Re: What did you wear... under there?

• wow, it's a very good idea. I have to go to VS.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-wear-under-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:68b16af0-8f88-4f41-8558-e3cfd4e482d8Post:7f385482-2b0b-4b68-838e-29d8e1d03331">Re: What did you wear... under there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am big chested as well and I have always had troubles with boobs getting the right support.  But I have found that the women over at Victoria's Secret to be VERY helpful.  When I was a hostess at my cousins wedding, I had to get a bra that was low enough in the sides yet supported my overly ample bust.  They helped me get the right bra.  I'll be going back there to get the bra and such for my wedding dress as well.  They also have a great line of seamless undies and bras that don't show underneath clothing and body slimmers.  My suggestion: get a Victoria's Secret credit card then go to your local Victoria's Secret and tell one of the girls working there what your needs are.  Many are certified bra fitters and know their products extremely well.  You should be able to find all that you need there.  And best thing about having the VS Credit card is that you don't have to pay cash for everything now.  You can make payments of the credit card, saving on your bridal budget now.  You can go to <a href="http://www.VictoriasSecret.com" rel="nofollow">www.VictoriasSecret.com</a> to browse their selection to see what they have and in what sizes.  That way, when you go to the store itself, you'll already have an idea of what you are looking for. 
    Posted by Zekina734[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I can't tell you how many people came into Nordstrom wearing the wrong size bra and then said, "well, I was fitted at Victoria's secret Last month!!"  They really are not trained well, and because VS doesn't have a huge size selection, instead of telling soemone well, you would best fit in 34 DDD (which as far as I know they don't have), they'll put them in a 36 D, and it may "fit" but it is NOT THE RIGHT SIZE!! That is not gonna support you the same way that a band of your real size will and you will look saggy.  Sorry, I feel very strongly about Nordstrom haha and VS makes me mad. 

</div>
  • I bought my under garments at the same place as my gown.  They fitted me perfect and pick the style that went with my gown so nothing is seen.  I got a strapless bra with a corset type back, that goes to the waist and the underskirts all with my gown.
  • cleiocleio member
    First Comment
    i actually went out and bought a steel boned corset. if you get a long lined low back corset made for you it will fall under any step back and it will provide a smooth and seemless shape from top to bottom. absolute corsets and corest connection are my fav. places to get them.
  • It sounds like the lady at Nordstrom put you in the "sister size"  the band is smaller but the cup is actually the same size even if it has a different letter.. a B cup in one size isn't going to be the same size as a B cup in another size, glad you were finally able to find something that worked in the end!
  • How do those silicone ones stick on? I am allergic to adhesive, so I don't know if those would be any good for me.
  • I'm a DD and I did not wear a bra.  They stayed put all night long.  I did have a corest back dress so that helped.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • This is a very helpful conversation! Thanks for posting! I'd been wondering what I was going to do. I bought one bustier from J.C. Penny's that totally didn't work. It wasn't supportive of my C cups, and I had to return it. I'm going to try the VS bustier. I have bought bras from VS in the past, and have been very pleased. I had looked for something before, and didn't come across the bustier. I don't think that I knew the proper "term" for the long bra!
    Good luck!

• get a bra sewn into your dress and then as far as underwear... go commando!  just make sure your dress is lined...
  • After reading through this all.. I'm still at a loss (for bottoms in particular)

My dress is a slinky bias cut silk satin '20's inspired gown... which translates to "shows EVERYTHING" and it's also backless to about 3/4" above my tailbone.

no layer of ruched fabric, no boning... I'm having to opt for the "stick-on silicone bra" (fingers crossed)

but I'm still at a loss for panties that will lay smooth and not show through... but are still SUPER lowcut? Am I hopelessly at a loss?

Any brand in particular that has worked? Seamless/nude/comfy?
  • Warning: This borders on a rant... but rightfully so...

A warning to those shopping for undergarments... the last time I went into a VS I came out so mad I was crying... which is a feat for me.

Being measured professionally (several times and often buying custom bras) at a 28D I'm well aware that my size is never carried... but i was in a pinch and not about to shell out for a new custom bra. I was searching for the illusive 30C when the sales girl "informed me" with a sigh and shake of my head that I was "at least" a 36 and probably a A or small B...

I assured her I had been measured and she told me I was measured wrong (and appparently much larger that I am) then stuffed my arms full of 36A and 36B bras to try on. I had snagged a 32B which was the closest I had seen and went off to try them.

She knocked a minute later and asked if i needed a different size, and that she had brought a 38A for me to try (I'm a 28D) so I walked out in the 32B which was hanging off my back and nowhere near covering my front and pointed out the tag asking again for a 30C.. to which she claimed that the bra must be mistagged.

FInally I asked her to measure me, almost out of spite... which she did... then announced that I was indeed "something like a 28C/D and that VS didn't carry anything like that." And walked away.

No appology, no offer to help me with perfume or panties... nothing.

Worst service I've gotten.... anywhere.
  • Ya know... I just went to David's Bridal, and got a wonderful longline for me, and my sister in law got one also. I am a 46DDD and was actually fitted into a 48C in this bra. The type my Sister in Law got has a little push up to it, and the outer layer has no seams, so it is smooth under her dress. So don't discount David's Bridal... each location is different... believe me, I will not be back to the one in Tacoma Mall.
  • I'm not wearing a bra, just undies. they can put cups that act as a bra in your dress. its perfect, and I'm very much full chested. lol

good luck!

• you might also try fredericks of hollywood. yes, i know most of their stuff is pretty trashy, but they do know their stripper market has large breasts and needs support. all of my friends who are D cups have zero luck at VS and lots of luck at fredericks. but really i suggest havign your seamstress sew in cups. i take it you didn't get a dress that has a corset built into it...i am a B cup and mine has a corset so i don't have to worry about that! and i'm wearing sheer blue panties from barely there that i already own so i know they are comfortable and don't show panty lines! i wore them when i got my dress so i know they work.
  • stacymcmanemy-

I would encourage you not to be concerned about freaking out your FI with "nude granny panties" (i did like that phrase tho, lol.) He should understand that what you wear under your dress on your wedding day is more about effectiveness and comfort than sexiness. And if it really matters to you, just excuse yourself quickly when you arrive at the hotel that night, and go slip into some new sexy piece of lingerie for him;-)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-wear-under-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:68b16af0-8f88-4f41-8558-e3cfd4e482d8Post:a18ed6a5-b2b5-4053-bc8e-70ef1f8dbd77">Re: What did you wear... under there?</a>:
    [QUOTE] One other thing: I don't understand how silicone cups can support the boobs. How does that work?   
    Posted by dsdv63[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>they don't really.  they provide a tiny little bit of oomph but not a lot of lift, and they are only meant for smaller sizes.  Anything larger than a C will be out of luck. If you need something that is low in the back and the front, I would suggest a U bra or U corset.  It dips low in the front and low in the back. 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-wear-under-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:68b16af0-8f88-4f41-8558-e3cfd4e482d8Post:1e79586d-dcb3-4956-86c1-e4aab4e4ab04">Re: What did you wear... under there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]After reading through this all.. I'm still at a loss (for bottoms in particular) My dress is a slinky bias cut silk satin '20's inspired gown... which translates to "shows EVERYTHING" and it's also backless to about 3/4" above my tailbone. no layer of ruched fabric, no boning... I'm having to opt for the "stick-on silicone bra" (fingers crossed) but I'm still at a loss for panties that will lay smooth and not show through... but are still SUPER lowcut? Am I hopelessly at a loss? Any brand in particular that has worked? Seamless/nude/comfy?
    Posted by ashleycomeau[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Um I would try nude lace panties.  At nordstrom they have the hanky panky brand that might work. Lace generally doesn't show lines. If even that shows through, Try some laser cut panties.  They have no seams and are generally thin so they shouldn't show through.  Last time I went to Victoria's secret they had some, but that was a while ago so no guarantees.  I also found some laser cut nude panties at Target a long long time ago. You can try there but I have a feeling they won't have them anymore.   And all of these that i'm mentioning are low cut.</div>
  • fatsby91fatsby91 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I would recommend Soma Intimates for EVERYTHING. I work there now, and I've also worked at Victoria's Secret. VS doesn't train you very well on measuring and knowing the bras they carry, but Soma is all about one on one customer service, everyone who works there is very well trained in doing bra fittings and working with you until you find exactly what you're looking for in the right size. And they are very good with larger sizes, everything is very supportive.  They also carry Spanx, the Nu Bra, and a line of undies called vanishing edge, which do not ride up and do not show any panty lines, they're incredible. They will outfit you from head to toe for your "under there" things. 
  • I am also pretty top heavy, and found a great bra a Victoria's Secret, with an extender piece for the back hooks that lets you pull it way down low and wrap around your waist. Works perfect with my dress, which has a low back, but still gives me the support I need on top. I'm also wearing a corset to keep the tummy area smooth and tight, but nothing lower. I want the freedom to use the ladies room without it being a major production...
  • I am wearing no bra, I had cups put into my dress. Then I don't have to worry about my bra showing. I am not wearing any spanx but I will wear some sort of support tights, like boy short cut and just the bridal slip. I hate wearing all those udergarments worse enough I have to lugg around my 1,000 pound bridal gown. Hee.
  • I'm a 34G and between the boning in my dress and the corset, I miraculously don't need a bra with my dress; however, bare necessities has already been mentioned, but I highly recommend:

http://www.figleaves.com

Every bra that I wear comes from that website, you can shop by size and bra type to make things easier. 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards