Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do you judge people's engagement rings?

124»

Re: Do you judge people's engagement rings?

• My "promise" ring was an emerald ring of amazing quality.  Many jewelers thought it was lab created until they looked at it closely under a loop or microscope and saw the tiny tiny inclusions.  I LOVE it

"Never Argue with an Idiot, They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-peoples-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e3ffe60-14f0-4fb0-bdc0-7442a7929b0ePost:f82b889d-8acb-4c47-a50f-e448694f014a">Re: Do you judge people's engagement rings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with you guys, that post made me bristle - and I have a fair sized South African diamond on my finger. It's just ridiculous on so many levels, and outright incorrect on so many more. Who cares what colour it is? It's not about the diamond, it's about the meaning and sentiment behind the ring and/or in some cases, lack of ring. People aren't bloody Stepfords of one another, why should we all have giant sparkly princess cuts on our hands? Rah-tarded. And for the record, I submitted this: <a href="http://i46.tinypic.com/zknz44.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://i46.tinypic.com/zknz44.jpg</a>
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]

See, as a May baby and a jewelry fanatic I have always known that emeralds are the most expensive gemstone!  I agree, people should get what makes them happy!  my emerald cut diamond makes me happy! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • I said a "little bit."   I will be honest, my ring is by no means huge, it's just over a carat total weight but the big stone is just under a carat.  However, sometimes when I see girls with really tiny stones (like my BFF who has an extremely tiny solitaire, she says it's princess but it's so small I can't even tell) I wonder "if he couldn't afford a nicer ring how will they afford a house or kids.  I know it's so mean of me, and I don't know people's personal finances, maybe they are just being very frugal, and I would NEVER say a word to someone, but I still think it. Edit: I also would never judge someone for not having a diamond.  My aunt has a ruby and it's beautiful.  It's not my taste, but some gems are almost as expensive as diamonds, gems =/= cheap.
    Posted by jnic0319

Why is it his job to be able to afford the nicer house and kids?  This is ridiculous - us ladies have jobs now too.  And speaking as someone with a "really tiny stone," I love my ring, it suits me perfectly, and it shows, to me, that we agree about our financial priorities.  It's the relationship behind the ring that matters and if you need a large diamond to convince yourself that you are special to your fiance, then the relationship has bigger problems.
  • NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I do not judge the size or the type.  But I do judge if the woman is throwing her hand all over while crowing about her "big rock" but the diamond is a really bad one - cloudy, yellow, lots of impurities, etc.  I judge the hell out of her then. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I do not judge at all.  I happen to have a pretty large sapphire engagement ring on my hand though...  I originally thought I wanted a solitare diamond but my FI convinced me to look outside the box.  I know for a fact that he spent more on my sapphire than he would have on a diamond.  

Nugget - I also judge those people.  If you are going to get a carat don't get one that looks like crap.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That is what I mean when I say I judge people's rings.  I judge them like I would if I was at a jewelry store.  I'm thinking, is it a good cut, are the color and clarity good.  I sometimes feel sorry for people who it seems like didn't do their research and got taken advantage of by a salesman.  Diamonds should not be yellowish, unless we are talking fancy color diamonds, they shouldn't have big brown and black spots and the cut should return sparkle and light.  To me the size isn't as important as the quality. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • I guess I am one of those girls that a lot of other women judge here on this board.

I have fairly small hands, ring size 4.5/4.75 and I have over 4 carats from Harry Winston. I love my emerald cut ring and it is perfect for me.

I also judge other peoples ring. I think its in our nature to make a quick judgement like I wouldn't wear that, NMS, too small too big too weird too elaborate for me. I mostly judge on quality. When I can clearly see its not a good quality stone, I just think its sad. 
    In the end tho who gives a crap about who has what for an engagement ring. As long as they are happy with their ring or having no ering, thats all that should matter.

• LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    This is the reason I refuse to have one.

Too much pressure on both parties. (B and G)
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_judge-peoples-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e3ffe60-14f0-4fb0-bdc0-7442a7929b0ePost:b68a81e8-83ab-4f01-b22f-895425dadb24">Re: Do you judge people's engagement rings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is what I mean when I say I judge people's rings.  I judge them like I would if I was at a jewelry store.  I'm thinking, is it a good cut, are the color and clarity good.  I sometimes feel sorry for people who it seems like didn't do their research and got taken advantage of by a salesman.  <strong>Diamonds should not be yellowish</strong>, unless we are talking fancy color diamonds, they shouldn't have big brown and black spots and the cut should return sparkle and light.  To me the size isn't as important as the quality. 
    Posted by luckyme502[/QUOTE]
    There are a whole lot of people who like slightly yellow stones.  Look on pricescope and you will see people who choose to buy warmer stones.  I've seen beautiful M and N stones.  <div>
    </div><div>My stone is slightly warm (around J-K) and most people can't tell.  I've had people who know about diamonds guess that it's an H color.  I like to think of my diamond as ivory vs. white.  I love it and have no regrets.  The cut is excellent and the clarity is pretty good two.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards