Wedding Etiquette Forum

First wedding cancelled due to hurricane - invitations question

Hi Ladies,

My wedding was originally supposed to have been in Sea Bright, NJ on November 3rd.  Due to hurricane Sandy, the wedding was cancelled and turns out the venue has decided to not    re-open :(

I have to find a new place/date for my wedding.

What is the procedure for invitations?  Do I order new invitations and re-send or just call all of the guests and tell them the new place/date?  

Thanks in advance. 

Re: First wedding cancelled due to hurricane - invitations question

• I would resend invites.  Your still going to need meal preferences (if you are having a plated dinner) and it might be helpful to have on paper who is coming and who is not.  also, if you had sent direction inserts into the original invites you'll want to send new ones so might as well just send a whole new round of invites.
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-wedding-cancelled-due-to-hurricane-invitations-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:82365692-6159-47b1-93b3-646533eae629Post:cd5d2f14-28af-4d44-a1a2-c9c1e0facec7">First wedding cancelled due to hurricane - invitations question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, My wedding was originally supposed to have been in Sea Bright, NJ on November 3rd.  Due to hurricane Sandy, the wedding was cancelled and turns out the venue has decided to not    re-open :( I have to find a new place/date for my wedding. What is the procedure for invitations?  Do I order new invitations and re-send or just call all of the guests and tell them the new place/date?   Thanks in advance. 
    Posted by wedgirl853[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that happened to you.  I would do new invites.  You can do something a little more simple like "the wedding of X and Y has been rescheduled to X date and X Location"  And include a new RSVP card. Not everyone that RSVPd before may be able to attend, and you might need meal choices, especially if you have to select a new caterer.</div>
  • ditto PPs; I'd resend something, but something simple like what cmg said would be fine. 

I think calling to let people know something's cancelled is fine, but if they need to be somewhere at a certain date and time it's better to give it to them in writing so they can go back and reference it. 
  • Resending new invitations would be fine.
  • I'd send something, but it could be a postcard with a "wedding of you and FI has been moved to xyz location on abc date" message on it and a new RSVP card if you wanted to keep it simple.
  • Many hugs from another Jersey girl!

I hope you were able to get a refund from  your original venue!

When are you having the "new" wedding?  If time is short - I'd think you could likely enlist the help of your bridal party in calling the guests and telling them where the new venue is, etc.  But if you DO have time, I'd definitely send out a new invite.  It doesn't have to be expensive - you could probably create a postcard on Vistaprint or another online site pretty cheap.

EVERYONE will understand if you don't send out formal invitations and spend a fortune.  I promise!

Many hugs to you! 
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-wedding-cancelled-due-to-hurricane-invitations-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:82365692-6159-47b1-93b3-646533eae629Post:cd5d2f14-28af-4d44-a1a2-c9c1e0facec7">First wedding cancelled due to hurricane - invitations question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, My wedding was originally supposed to have been in Sea Bright, NJ on November 3rd.  Due to hurricane Sandy, the wedding was cancelled and turns out the venue has decided to not    re-open :( I have to find a new place/date for my wedding. What is the procedure for invitations?  Do I order new invitations and re-send or just call all of the guests and tell them the new place/date?   Thanks in advance. 
    Posted by wedgirl853[/QUOTE]

If you don't want to go thru the expense of new invitations, consider DIY.  They have some at Walmart and you can print them yourself, plus you don't have to wait to proof them or have them printed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards