Wedding Etiquette Forum

How much Alcohol?

124»

Re: How much Alcohol?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:37b5a594-89c2-44e7-b4aa-f85b2c4b3ed5">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : That's probably due to the venue avoiding liability instead of liqour laws. Our venue doesn't care (or at least the woman we talked to doesn't care). We espressly asked and were told the only rules are <strong>no glitter</strong>, no cash bars, and everyone's out by midnight.
    Posted by thurmanpowell[/QUOTE]

No "under table" storage? If there's no bartender, that might be tricky though. I live n the MA/NH border- liquor stores in MA are private (awesome because the convenicnce store less than a half mile from my house has booze, yay!) and the ones in NH are all state-run, bu NH is "live free or die! boo yah! guns and moonshine and deer and bear killin'!" so they're a little easier to deal with and skew my perception. I went to school in CT and there was no alcohol sold on Sundays- I was used to going to the 24-hr Walmart for all of my Wine and Beer needs....

And No Glitter?? Doesn't sound like much fun! lol
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:37b5a594-89c2-44e7-b4aa-f85b2c4b3ed5">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : That's probably due to the venue avoiding liability instead of liqour laws. Our venue doesn't care (or at least the woman we talked to doesn't care). We espressly asked and were told the only rules are no glitter, no cash bars, and everyone's out by midnight.

It was the liquor laws that govern what the venue does/doesn't do where my sister got married. Since a wedding with the type of reception my sister was planning(dinner, dancing and drinking) isn't common in her area, most venues don't offer bar options. The venue gave my sister the liquor law requirements in the package they gave her on renting the hall and the caterer did the same thing since they didn't offer an alcohol package.

I'm attending a wedding this weekend and because the venue doesn't offer a bar, the bride and groom(or in this case the bride's parents) had to get insurance but that is a requirement of the venue. Not sure how the state liquor laws played a role in how the venue came up with their requirements since it was a brief convo I had with the FOB about it at a different wedding.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:39e25bb0-2a01-4cdf-b55e-219c8f66befa">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : Just FYI, it's likely that they don't care because YOU would be liable if something were to happen... I'd just look into that if I were you. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Probably, and we're taking that into consideration. This is just to explain why the venue doesn't require security/liscensed bartenders. From what we were told when we looked at veneues, places that serve alcohol themselves (therefore are liqour vendors under the law) do have these restrictions, but our venue doesn't because they don't provide anything other than the space. The freedom allowed by this venue is largely why we went with them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:0714b434-b46f-45fa-97d0-be51412002f1">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : No "under table" storage? If there's no bartender, that might be tricky though. I live n the MA/NH border- liquor stores in MA are private (awesome because the convenicnce store less than a half mile from my house has booze, yay!) and the ones in NH are all state-run, bu NH is "live free or die! boo yah! guns and moonshine and deer and bear killin'!" so they're a little easier to deal with and skew my perception. <strong>I went to school in CT and there was no alcohol sold on Sundays- I was used to going to the 24-hr Walmart for all of my Wine and Beer needs</strong>.... And No Glitter?? Doesn't sound like much fun! lol
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, here you can't buy liqour after 10, wine or beer after 1 am (complenty different laws and liscences to sell). Can't buy anything Sunnday morning.

I blame Cincy, they tend to force religious mandates on the state. Any store that has inventory that is more than 49% adult toys has to be closed from 12-6 and we're a no nudity state as well. We also have one of those marriage protection laws, even though Columbus, the largest city, is super gay (domestic partner registeries and all that). It's lame.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:cd4f54f1-bf9f-4074-89ca-323de344cd8f">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : <strong>Probably, and we're taking that into consideration. This is just to explain why the venue doesn't require security/liscensed bartenders.</strong> From what we were told when we looked at veneues, places that serve alcohol themselves (therefore are liqour vendors under the law) do have these restrictions, but our venue doesn't because they don't provide anything other than the space. The freedom allowed by this venue is largely why we went with them.

What are the open intoxicant laws by you? That is what the security guard was for at my sister's reception. Is the venue(or Ohio for that matter) a smoke free in public places state? Wisconsin recently went to this, although most wedding venues were smoke free anyways prior, bars were not. A lot of bars started putting security guards at the doors to tell people to leave their drinks inside when they went out to smoke since most cities have open intoxicant laws.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:c16c8e01-6a7d-4dca-98a6-30f7b53712af">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : What are the open intoxicant laws by you? That is what the security guard was for at my sister's reception. Is the venue(or Ohio for that matter) a smoke free in public places state? Wisconsin recently went to this, although most wedding venues were smoke free anyways prior, bars were not. A lot of bars started putting security guards at the doors to tell people to leave their drinks inside when they went out to smoke since most cities have open intoxicant laws.
    Posted by StephJean83[/QUOTE]

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/OpenContainerLaw.aspx">http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/OpenContainerLaw.aspx</a>

Again, IANAL, but it's my understanding that this law means that it can't be taken off the grounds, not that it can't be taken outside.

Back in my undergrad days I never had an issue drinking outside while in someone's yard. In fact, I reported a drunk driver with a drink in hand once. Plus, there's a patio for our one smoker to smoke if she so chooses.

Edit: to specify, I'm talking about places which are not selling you liqour. Most bars here have patios to avoid the issue, but yes, you would not be able to take your drink outside of a bar here. I think that has to do with the law agaisnt bars selling liqour not to be consumed on their premises though, as the law reads to me  (again, not a lawyer) that the indivisual would be responsible here.
  • If you want to use Reisling as your dessert wine, you can absolutely do that. It'll be cheaper than a true dessert wine. But be careful, because it isn't technically supposed to be one, and there are a lot of dry ones out there. I personally love reislings from Alsace France because they are dry as a general rule. So good! A good quick way of determining sweetness is to do a quick check of the alcohol content in the bottle. The higher the content, the longer the yeasts were allowed to convert sugar to alcohol. Therefore, the lower the content, the less conversion happened, which equals more sugars. Look for low alcohol reislings and you're guarenteed to get a sweet wine. Hope that helps and makes sense!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:81083df1-32a0-4b82-8f2a-c4a1fd8d4b63">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : I'm confused.  If so many people hate it, why are you serving it?
    Posted by Edie Bee[/QUOTE]

1) Because I'm drinking it and therefore need to make sure there's enough for everyone.
    2) A lot of people do hate Champagne, but a lot of people love it as well.
    3) it's expected at a wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:afee652c-a7fc-4069-a80a-f7dc833cc7fc">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? :<strong> Is it really?  I've never heard that before.</strong>  I can't remember if we had it. I mean if you want to have it, that is 100% fine.  I just think you might want to expand your variety a little.

...Yeah, that's what all the wedding champagne flutes are all about.

Also, having champagne doesn't have any impact on expanding my variety. It's not a "I'm having champagne so I won't have vodka deal."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:00843196-f9c5-4b2c-bae5-90276e90b460">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess what I don't understand is, in the thread about food, you insisted all the food be edible for all dietary restrictions, but you won't provide variety of drinks so everyone has something they like.  Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Everyone DOES have <u>something </u>they like. That's the thing. No one has <u>everything</u> they like. Between beer, 4 types of wine, two types of chanpagne, and 2 liqours, EVERYONE who wants to will be able to drink.

Just because a lot of people will ALSO drink vodka, doesn't mean they need it at my wedding. It ends at 10, they can go to a fully stocked bar after.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:08bb3cc8-d7f9-486c-8f81-37feaa26e3da">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : <a href="http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/OpenContainerLaw.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/OpenContainerLaw.aspx</a> Again, IANAL, but it's my understanding that this law means that it can't be taken off the grounds, not that it can't be taken outside. Back in my undergrad days I never had an issue drinking outside while in someone's yard. In fact, I reported a drunk driver with a drink in hand once. Plus, there's a patio for our one smoker to smoke if she so chooses. Edit: to specify, I'm talking about places which are not selling you liqour. Most bars here have patios to avoid the issue, but yes, you would not be able to take your drink outside of a bar here. I think that has to do with the law agaisnt bars selling liqour not to be consumed on their premises though, as the law reads to me  (again, not a lawyer) that the indivisual would be responsible here.

In Wisconsin(where I live and know the laws better) you can be in a privately owned yard with an open bottle/drink. I can take a drink with me to the pool in the summer and sunbath at my apartment complex BUT if I'm at a bar I can't go outside with my drink. It does vary from city to city as far as where you can go with open intoxicants because the town that I grew up in, you can walk from one end of town to the next with an open intoxicant but where I live now you can't step outside a bar with an open drink in the city. Generally open intoxicant laws are geared at public spaces, so someone's yard isn't considered a public space. So the venue wouldn't be classified as a private place unless it is a private members only club or someone's personal house.

I would look into laws for Columbus to verify that they don't have stricter laws than the state law.
  • While I agree with PP's that you should include vodka. I'm not gonna beat a dead dog. You aren't buying vodka. I get.

PLEASE provided cola. I'm telling you if my only options were PBR, wine, whiskey, and rum you bet your ass I'd be going over to the liquor station to make myself a rum and coke or a whiskey and coke. I would be very sad when that wasn't possible. Coke is cheap. And since you are already considering getting a bartender your earlier concern that having coke would attract minors to the bar has already been solved. If you have a bartender he can just shoo the children away. He's mixing the drinks and the coke is only to be used as a mixer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:b0513f57-4a0e-4357-8787-b35be70fed25">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : See, this sounds hypocritical.  "Oh well if I don't have something they want they can go buy it later."  But you blasted people for even suggesting the caterer prepare a special meal for dietary restrictions. If you cared half as much about your drinks as you did food, you'd be in great shape.  Like jcb said, it really does seem to be all about you drink-wise.

It's really not. If it were I'd serve nothing but Gin. I f!ucking love gin. If I were having beer, wine, champagne, and two signature drinks, you guys wouldn't see the issue. Just think of it that way as that's basically what we're doing the Station is to get around not having a bartending to keep the drink contaners filled, but if we get a bartender that might change.

We will not have a full bar, AS THERE IS NO BAR TO STOCK.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:25c8d9f4-a1da-455a-a2ab-c1b25e8a869b">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please provide some sort of pop - after all IT GOES WITH RUM. And really - why the big fuss over adding a bottle of vodka? The fact that you are digging your heels in on a highly popular liquor is mindboggling to me. Have a whisky/rum and a vodka. Add some soda and literally everyone is happy.
    Posted by scribe95[/QUOTE]

The big fuss is that I don't want to. I don't want to change our themed drinks based on what you guys like. Tequila is also a highly popular liqour. No one's up in arms about that. It's weirder to me that you guys are dead set trying to convince them to serve vodka soda's (of all things) instead of answering my question.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:5b5d9ecc-5831-43e9-b379-ad4f3b237817">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could really giveashit whether you have vodka or gin or not.  The thing is, your selections are just weird.  I've seen dry weddings that offer soda and coffee.  I've seen limited bar weddings that offer soda, coffee, beer, and wine.  And obviously open bars and cash bars.  But I have yet to attend a wedding with beer,wine, and just the two types of liquor that the bride likes.   And the logistics?  I can't imagine having all these guests trying to crowd around a table to serve themselves and then actually look at recipe cards to make their own drinks.  And like a PP pointed out, <strong>just b/c you don't *think* more than 40 people will drink, doesn't mean that in reality many more could. </strong> Obviously there's no talking logic with you so good luck with that drink station.  I really hope one of your guests asks why you don't have vodka or gin so you get to tell them that it's ALL ABOUT YOU.  
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

It's cute that you know my family more than I do. MY FAMILY DOES NOT DRINK. DOES NOT AT ALL, EVER. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY OF THEM EVEN DRINK A GLASS OF WINE AT ANY POINT IN MY 26 YEARS. MY MOM CONSIDERS BEER A "GATEWAY DRUG."

I doubt all that will fly out the window at my wedding, when it never has at any previous family wedding, holiday dinner, or reunion I've ever been to.

Also, please explain by having MORE than beer and wine is weirder than just having beer and wine. I don't think I've ever been to a wedding with a fully stocked bar, even weddings of bartenders.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:aa3cfe68-8df4-48e3-9162-aeb6168068ca">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh good christ.  Slow your roll. FFS, y<strong>ou gave an estimate of how many were invited and who RSVP'd yes so far and then estimated 40 people might drink.  Unless the only RSVP's you haven't  gotten back are your family, then yes, you might have more than 40 people drinking. </strong> I never specified it would be your family. And really, all this thread has done has convinced me you're a troll.  If there is someone this dense on the planet, I am seriously concerned for our future.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Reread it, sweet heart. Those numbers are based on INVITED guests, no RSVPs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:d9f91738-c719-4141-8440-00f1487b239a">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : Waste of time.You did, however remind me of one of my favorite movies lines ever. Receptionist : How do you write women so well?  Melvin Udall : I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability. <strong>And it doesn't change the fact that I think you're a troll.</strong>  So there's that.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Yes, a good lesson for you in life is this: everyone who disagrees with you on things as simple as when to serve Vodka is always a troll. Always. Everytime.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:c918644d-89f1-4d14-a1e4-6d064976e48c">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : Themed drinks?  FFS.

I don't get your confusion. What's the big issue with themed drinks? I've mentioned more than once that it isn't supposed to be a "bar," wont look like a "bar," and we will have either place cards with our themed drinks or a menu with our themed drinks if we get a bartender.

That's exactly why I'm not taking the advice to open it into a full bar, it isn't supposed to be a full bar. I even posted a picture of what it will look like.
  • FFs. No one is telling you that you have to have an open bar. Frankly, most people have even given up arguing with you about serving vodka. But I'm flabbergasted that you aren't even providing any kind of soft drink, especially given the liquors you're planning to provide.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:d7547b5e-6e7e-48a5-aced-cd58e862d19f">Re:How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FFs. No one is telling you that you have to have an open bar. Frankly, most people have even given up arguing with you about serving vodka. But I'm flabbergasted that you aren't even providing any kind of soft drink, especially given the liquors you're planning to provide.
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

It is an "open bar" just not a fully stocked bar.

I don't see why serving liqours means I need to also have soft drinks. Between tea, coffee, lemonade, beer, wine, champagne, and liqour, I don't think I need to offer anything else. I'm more shocked that you think Whiskey and rum need to be served with soft drinks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:6de780d1-3cc3-4501-95bf-150e24d1a050">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : It sounds like you're refusing to have more options because you want your bar to have a theme.  That's a little bit silly IMO. No one is saying you need a full bar.  They think at the very least, you need some soda for mixed drinks. <strong> Is that really asking too much?</strong>

This is the first time you've mentioned soda. In fact, just yesterday you indicated that my choice in non alcoholic drinks was OK. This seems a little unnecessary.
  • edited November 2012
    You're right, TP. You're perfect and clearly the MANY people who have all responded saying the SAME THING in this thread are all idiots that don't know anything and you are all knowing. Jeebuz, you're dense. I don't drink rum unless it's in a frozen daiquiri, and I only drink whiskey if it's with Coke. I don't drink coffee or beer, especially not PBR. Disgusting. And I'm not a big fan of lemonade or water. I know plenty of people like myself who would love to just have a soda with dinner OR who only drink liquor when mixed with soda. Seltzer water is also vile and would have me puking right there, so that doesn't count. I don't care for champagne, don't like red wine, and the only white I'll drink is Moscato, but it has to be super sweet as I don't like dry wines. I'd be eating and leaving your reception, or sneaking my own beverages in.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:cfcbf4cf-4fea-4a03-9e4d-140a9a3f417e">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS. I used the BevMo drink calculator.  We ended up having too much beer, but the rest was pretty much on point. <a href="http://www.bevmo.com/Misc/PartyPlanner.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://www.bevmo.com/Misc/PartyPlanner.aspx</a>
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

thanks!  i've been looking for something like this, the others i've tried weren't nearly as helpful.

we are having a DIY bar - my family are big drinkers and looking at the bar packages offered by caterers we were going to spend almost the same amount on alcohol as we were on food.  this will allow us to save a few thousand.  the other reason we looked at it is because i don't want to put limitations on how/when alcohol is served (i.e. i hate when wine at dinner is limited or the bar closes during the meal etc).  not a criticism of how others are choosing to do this, simply a decision based on our personal preference.

that being said, because we want guests to be served we have hired a bartender (through the caterer), and they also offer a package to provide all non alcoholic drinks, mix, garnishes, ice, etc. 

our venue did require us to have insurance as part of our rental agreement, and we are also not having any minors at the event, so that isn't an issue for us.
  • In Response to How much Alcohol?:

1. What Beverage Calculator did you use? Is there one that includes champagne instead of just beer, wine, and liquor?  Try checking evite as they have a good one

2. We're thinking of having a do-it-yourself bar for the liquor... Our venue/caterer doesn't have bartenders and although a few friends have offered to help, I don't want to keep them busy throughout the entire reception. This do-it-yourself bar would only have rum and whiskey as you can make quite a few different cocktails out of these drinks with only a few mixers (versus gin, which everyone but me seems to hate, and vodka which everyone loves but I hate). This this idea, OK? Anything we should consider?

Don't even think about a do it yourself bar. It's poor etiquette for one reason  The variety at the bar should depend on what the majority of your guests like.  IMO, two wines (one red, one whait), beer, and cocktails.  Cocktails may be limited to a signuture drink or two.  Put your guests preferences before yours.

3. Here's the etiquette part: I'm thinking about setting the champagne on the tables. My wedding will have children in attendance, is it OK to set sparkling wine on tables with Adults and kids instead of champagne?  Or should I serve the same for every table? I don't want to dictate what people drink but I also don't want alcohol in front of kids. I'm making a point to seat childless couples away from kids so not every table would have children present.

Never put bottles on the table unless it's opened white wine or champage in a cooler bucket or decanted red wine in the decanter.

That's my start.  I'll read the rest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:10ed894c-f4fc-43ba-88aa-c32263fb8b24">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much Alcohol? : Good luck.

Thanks.  I wish  I had known before I wasted 15 minutes of my life reading a crazy troll post.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-much-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:851752a7-78ac-4b51-81c0-c8435656be2cPost:76bee5e8-2081-45c1-8276-dc41f4c2bd8d">Re: How much Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How much Alcohol? : Its your wedding, do whatever you want...I just don't understand why you ask if you are dead set on your original idea
    Posted by BartenderBW[/QUOTE]

About the DIY bar, not the alcohol selection.
  • I still don't understand why you can't have coke as a mixer though. I'm not saying you need to have coke at the lemonade and iced tea table. I'm just saying to have it at the DIY bar as a mixer. It's wouldn't even ruin your whiskey and rum theme. Whiskey and rum go awesome with coke (frankly it's the only way I drink either of them). Grrr. But I give up. If you can't find it in your heart to spend like 10 dollars on soda for your guests then there's really nothing more I can say to convince you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards