Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Website etiquette

FI and I are in the process of making a wedding website.  Some of our friends in the wedding party live out of state, or a few hours away, so we decided to go ahead and make a page to keep everyone updated on info.  What is the most tasteful way to announce the website?  I don't have everyone's email address, so I was thinking of posting the site on FB since that is the one place everyone seems to be.  My worry is, if I post the website to my wall, is that rude since I am obviously unable to invite everyone on my FB friend list?  Or is it ok to share the site and not invite?  I suppose I could private message...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Website etiquette

• Options
    AMYM312AMYM312 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Include it with your save the dates. Do NOT put on FB.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would email the address to those whom you can and Facebook message anyone else.  Don't post it in a status or anywhere on your wall. You'll run into trouble with people assuming they'll be invited when you have no intention of including them.  Depending on your privacy settings you could even have people you don't know checking out your website and potentially crashing your wedding. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    ^^ that's what I was thinking.  I just had a bad feeling about public posting since I won't be able to invite everyone.  Good idea to put the info with the STD's!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can make a private group on FB and invite those who you are interested in updating. Everytime you post something to the group, they'll get a status update (which they can opt out of if they get to be too frequent). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    FB and weddings generally make for a volitile combination and drama.  Bad idea.

We included and insert on our wedding invitations that had the phrase: For more information regarding the wedding, please visit our website:....."

It actually ended up being pretty frustrating how many people just ignored the website and favored bugging us directly about it.... but oh well, you can only control what you can control.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Ditto on including with STDs if you're sending those but definitely NOT putting it on FB. If you aren't doing STDs, you could send out the URL in an e-mail to friends who are invited or as a private FB message.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I included the info for our website on our Save the Dates, all of which were emailed to our guests (I only had four older family members that didn't have email). I made sure to collect everyone's email addresses ahead of time to do this. It wasn't that hard to do. Just make an effort and you will have a complete list of everyone's email addresses in no time.

Weddings and Facebook are like Fire and Gasoline!

Avoid Facebook at all costs when it comes to your wedding. Even if friends post questions or comments on your wall about your plans (e.g. what are your colors, when's the date, how's your planning going) don't answer! Only share info about your wedding plans to those you care to share it with and do it in person and not on Facebook. 

As PP mentioned, anything posted on Facebook runs you a huge risk for unwanted attention and assumptions from people that you don't intend on including. And yes, it is very rude to share all your plans and details on FB and not invite everyone who will be seeing it. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    We put it on our save the dates!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Make a list on Facebook for people you are inviting to the wedding, and select that whenever you post about the wedding.

I did that, and it was nice to be able topost reminders about hotel block and RSVP deadlines without broadcasting it to 300 people who weren't invited. After the wedding, when pictures were posted, I made those visible to my whole friends list.
  • Options
    If your wedding party is used to communicating through FB and your relationship with them is pretty casual, you could make a FB private event invitation only for just them it would make sending them updates easy. However, if your party includes some older members or people expecting the traditional, STDs are the way to go.
  • Options
    Well, if you plan to communicate with these people through Facebook, make a private group and do it through there.

Otherwise, keep it off Facebook.  You can put the URL on a save-the-date or an insert in your wedding invitation (although I wouldn't do this if you are attaching a registry link to your website).
  • Options
    As others have said, I made a FB friends list called "wedding guests" or something, and made sure that any wedding related posts were only visible to that list. We also listed the web address on our save the dates, so that made it available even to people who aren't on FB.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Website etiquette:[QUOTE]Well, if you plan to communicate with these people through Facebook, make a private group and do it through there.Otherwise, keep it off Facebook. You can put the URL on a savethedate or an insert in your wedding invitation although I wouldn't do this if you are attaching a registry link to your website. Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]
    General consensus is that it's fine to list the website address on an insert in the invitation even if there is a registry page as part of the site. If the registry links were the ONLY things on the site, it would be pretty gauche, but if you're listing also hotel and travel info, details about the venue, etc., it's fine to also list registries.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_website-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99ef4dc2-bfa5-4e65-919b-235f55f53cdbPost:56a66381-f325-449c-b071-5d024a99a61b">Re:Website etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Website etiquette: General consensus is that it's fine to list the website address on an insert in the invitation even if there is a registry page as part of the site. If the registry links were the ONLY things on the site, it would be pretty gauche, but if you're listing also hotel and travel info, details about the venue, etc., it's fine to also list registries.
    Posted by SKPM[/QUOTE]
    All of this is good to know.  We put our website on our Save the Dates that we mailed out.  We have a lot of OOTs so that's why we sent ours out early.  We also chose to make them magnets so people could stick them on their fridges and go refer to them to check the website as the months go on. We were concerned that people might easily lose track of postcards and emails with so many months to go and forget how to access our website.  So far everyone has said they love the magnets and have stuck them wherever magnets stick.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_website-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99ef4dc2-bfa5-4e65-919b-235f55f53cdbPost:2701438b-3fd3-4976-a220-5d7d27bafc1d">Re: Website etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]FB and weddings generally make for a volitile combination and drama.  Bad idea. We included and insert on our wedding invitations that had the phrase: For more information regarding the wedding, please visit our website:....."<strong> It actually ended up being pretty frustrating how many people just ignored the website and favored bugging us directly about it....</strong> but oh well, you can only control what you can control.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Agree to the bold.  Website might help, but your friends are more than likely going to ask you directly.  My guests were so bad that they would even ask me for the wedding address....even though it's on the website AND your invite.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards