Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do I have to invite the spouses of my staff?

I'm a teacher at a really small school....we have a total of 14 staff including teachers, principal, secretary and custodian. I'm getting married in October, 2010 and I will be inviting my principal and the other teachers at my school. Because we are such a small school, I'm inviting all of the teachers in order to avoid any hurt feelings. However, here's what I need to know:

#1) Do I also need to invite our custodian? We don't always get along and I don't really want to. But, am I obligated to?

#2) As I said, I'm inviting all of the other teachers in order to avoid offending anyone, and to be honest, I do want MOST of them there. HOwever, since we are holding our ceremony and reception in the same venue and at times very close together, everyone at the ceremony will also be present for the dinner/reception. Am I obligated to invite the spouses of the other teachers? I don't really want to, nor do I have the money to invite them (it would be an additional 12 people to invite/pay for). My future MIL says that I should allow my principal to bring his wife, and then invite the teachers individually, and explain to them personally the reasons why their spouses are not invited. Thoughts?
IAmPregnant Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Do I have to invite the spouses of my staff?

• If you invite a married/engaged guest, yes, you must invite his/her spouse.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• My thoughts are that it's incredibly rude and insulting to be invited sans spouse, and you're going to have less hurt feelings if you choose not to invite your workmates than you will have should you invite them without significant others. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-spouses-of-staff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9d1fefad-330d-4a13-bcd7-fa3e004c3f15Post:21f97fcf-d68e-479f-901e-a4f3c6fb362b">Re: Do I have to invite the spouses of my staff?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you invite a married/engaged guest, yes, you must invite his/her spouse.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Copied, just in case you didn't get it the first time.
  • You are not obligated to invite any of your coworkers.

If you do invite your coworkers and they are married or in serious relationships, you have to invite their spouses.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-spouses-of-staff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9d1fefad-330d-4a13-bcd7-fa3e004c3f15Post:21f97fcf-d68e-479f-901e-a4f3c6fb362b">Re: Do I have to invite the spouses of my staff?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you invite a married/engaged guest, yes, you must invite his/her spouse.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Mrs. B is on a roll, as usual. Her advice is exactly what you should do.

I honestly wouldn't invite someone that I didn't get along with.
  • yes, husband and wifes are a social unit.  They must be invited together.  On the response card, you can put down, "_2_ seats are reserved in your name"  "___Guests accepting"  "____ Guests declining"  That way maybe a group of the girls can go and leave the husbands at home.  But they must be invited together. 

If you invite everyone, invite everyone...don't single out one guy. 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    You need to invite the spouses or long term SO. 

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Yes, you have to invite their spouses. But you don't have to invite the co-workers to begin with (unless you want to). If you do invite the co-workers, the spouses come as part of the deal.
  • Yeah, if it's too much for your budget just don't invite anyone from school.  They should understand. If they don't, that's their problem, not yours.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-spouses-of-staff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9d1fefad-330d-4a13-bcd7-fa3e004c3f15Post:d66325b9-7d68-4cd3-a62f-fe9ca7ffc922">Do I have to invite the spouses of my staff?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a teacher at a really small school....we have a total of 14 staff including teachers, principal, secretary and custodian. I'm getting married in October, 2010 and I will be inviting my principal and the other teachers at my school. Because we are such a small school, I'm inviting all of the teachers in order to avoid any hurt feelings. However, here's what I need to know: #1) Do I also need to invite our custodian? We don't always get along and I don't really want to. But, am I obligated to? #2) As I said, I'm inviting all of the other teachers in order to avoid offending anyone, and to be honest, I do want MOST of them there. HOwever, since we are holding our ceremony and reception in the same venue and at times very close together, everyone at the ceremony will also be present for the dinner/reception. Am I obligated to invite the spouses of the other teachers? I don't really want to, nor do I have the money to invite them (it would be an additional 12 people to invite/pay for). My future MIL says that I should allow my principal to bring his wife, and then invite the teachers individually, and explain to them personally the reasons why their spouses are not invited. Thoughts?
    Posted by gillbritton[/QUOTE]

I didn't even read your full post.  If the question is- "Do I have to invite the spouses of", the answer is YES.  On the other hand, I think it's crazy to invite every teacher at your whole school.  Just invites your friends.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Were I you, I would not invite any of them, to save feelings and my budget. But if you want some there and think you should invite all, then yes, you need to invite spouses as well. And I personally would invite the custodian simply because if you don't he will be the ONLY staff-member not invited. If you guys don't exactly get along, there is a good chance he/she will not come anyway.
  • I think everyone covered the spouse item....yes you must invite the spouse of anyone who is invited. its both of them or neither of them. 

But the custodian....I dont know what that role is in a school, as it relates to everyone else in a school. Are they higher in "rank" to the teachers, then I think you should invite them also. 

This is so awkward b/c you dont want hard feelings w/ anyone. but if you really cant invite everyone, then just invite the principle & his spouse. 

Btw, have you received your RSVP. Can you determine how many A list guests have declined? 

best wishes. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-spouses-of-staff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9d1fefad-330d-4a13-bcd7-fa3e004c3f15Post:d66325b9-7d68-4cd3-a62f-fe9ca7ffc922">Do I have to invite the spouses of my staff?</a>:
    [QUOTE] HOwever, since we are holding our ceremony and reception in the same venue and at times very close together, everyone at the ceremony will also be present for the dinner/reception.
    Posted by gillbritton[/QUOTE]

uhhhhh...if your ceremony and reception were not in the same venue and at times very close together, would you think that everyone at the ceremony would not also be present for the dinner/reception?
  • It really doesn't matter where your ceremony and reception are.  If you're inviting coworkers, you're inviting their spouses.

HOWEVER, you don't have to invite coworkers.  You could just invite your principal. 
  • I second the PPs. You aren't obligated to invite any of your coworkers, however you are obligated to invite the spouse of anyone you are inviting to the wedding. As charlsie said, a married couple are a social unit, meaning you do not invite one and not the other.
  • As everyone else said, you are not obligated to invite coworkers.  However, if you do, you are obligated to invite their spouses.  Also, if you invite coworkers, you can't single out one person to not invite.  That will make you look like a major asss.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I am surprised at how willing you are to invite people to your wedding who you otherwise wouldn't want to hang out with (some teachers, custodian), rather than using those spaces for spouses of the guests you DO want there. I think you should make that shift as others have specified.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards