Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Aaaargh! Another vent post. (long)

This is long and whiney. I totally understand if no one wants to read it - just writing it has made me feel better. : p

Slight back story. My step grandmother is 14 years (I think) younger than my grandfather. They got married when I was 3 years old, and I love her very much - to me she IS my grandmother. She has a daughter that is five years older than me and was pretty much raised by my grandfather. Although when my grandparents got married my step-aunt gained step-siblings, they were all adults starting their families so she was still raised as an only child. 

She is one of the most spoiled, selfish people I have ever met in my entire life. I'm not saying all only children are like this - but she is. I really can't stand her. There is so much wrong with the things that she does. Irrelevant fact - her ILs have not even seen pictures of their youngest grandchild because she is punishing them for some slight that even her mother (that usually treats her like the most perfect person in the world) thinks is NBD. That's the kind of person she is. 

Step aunt and her H are going through a really tough financial time right now. Step aunts ILs bought and paid for their house as a wedding present - so they have no mortgage. They weren't able to pay their power bill so my grandparents had their entire family of four move into their house until they could get their power turned back on. My grandparents are not doing very well financially either - but they knew the babies (3 and 10 months) needed to be somewhere with electricity. They have also lost their car and didn't have the money at the time for a new one. 

My grandparents have gone to Europe for work and have been gone for several months.  They are currently using my grandfathers car because he's been gone. When they left the country I was the one that brought them to the airport which is about an hour away in good traffic. Now my step aunt just called me to ask if I could pick them up on Wednesday. She does not have a job. She has just as much time in her day to pick them up as I do.

I'm just so freaking irritated that she will not do something for my grandparents after everything they have done for her. She lives a lot closer to the airport than I do. She's using their car. She should pick them up. She should have dropped them off. She's an ungrateful bitch that doesn't care about anyone but herself. If ANYONE had done even half of the stuff they did for them  for me, I would be desperate to find something I can do for them in return. And I know they asked HER to pick them up - because if they really wanted me to do it they would have called me. 

I knew as soon as I saw her number on my caller ID that she was calling to ask me to do something for her. She has never called me for any reason other than to ask for a favor. I didn't feeling like dealing with her so I let her leave a voicemail. I haven't called her back yet because I'm just so frustrated and irritated. I'm going to let myself calm down before I call her back. 

I guess I know what I'll be doing on Wednesday - driving to the airport in freaking rush hour to pick up my grandparents. Oh well, upside is that I get to see my grandparents. 

Re: Aaaargh! Another vent post. (long)

• Options
    When she asked did she give any sort of reason?

Definitely sounds like she takes people for granted.  I'm sorry that you're frustrated.
  • Options
    Ugh she sounds awful! Are you sure she doesn't have something going on though -- maybe a kiddo's doctor appointment?
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_aaaargh-another-vent-post-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a84e197f-8e05-4f1d-8019-6612509568bdPost:d699dbe6-83ca-43de-98ff-d4ccc063892e">Re: Aaaargh! Another vent post. (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>When she asked did she give any sort of reason? </strong>Definitely sounds like she takes people for granted.  I'm sorry that you're frustrated.
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]

<div>No...she didn't....she never does. Everyone makes excuses for her because she's got two young children - but so do many people in my family and they still manage to do what needs to be done without trying to push it off on someone else. </div>
  • Options
    If you told her you were busy or something, weould she do it herself?  I'd also try to find out if she has anything else going.  She's probably just being lazy, however she could have an appointment or something.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_aaaargh-another-vent-post-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a84e197f-8e05-4f1d-8019-6612509568bdPost:f6966ded-85b5-42a5-902a-1a35967cd68f">Re: Aaaargh! Another vent post. (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh she sounds awful! Are you sure she doesn't have something going on though -- maybe a kiddo's doctor appointment?
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

<div>To be fair, I don't know. I do know that she had nothing going on when I dropped them off though, because my grandfather was complaining to me about it. </div>
  • Options

What if you just told her no?  Would your grandparents have to get a taxi?

• Options
    I don't know what will happen if I say no, honestly. I don't know if she'll just do it or if she'll make up some excuse as to why she can't do it. I'm not going to say no, so it's a moot point. I just wanted to vent about it because it disgusts me that she isn't eager to help out someone that has always done so much for her.
  • Options

Vent away.  I'm glad that you like your grandparents enough to not leave them stranded at the airport.  Bonus points!

• Options
    I freaking love my grandparents. Whenever FI is in town at the same time as them we have weekly board game nights. 
  • Options
    She sounds pretty miserable. I don't doubt you are right that she intends to take advantage of people and is lazy - or at least she sounds it.

That being said - can she fit three adults in the car with 2 children in car seats? Is her husband around to watch the kids so she can pick up her parents?
  • Options
    Vent away! I'm sure she's horrid and deserves it all!
    Lizzie
  • Options
    pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_aaaargh-another-vent-post-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a84e197f-8e05-4f1d-8019-6612509568bdPost:393e2f87-2e25-413b-acd4-0c8c2cb93ea5">Re: Aaaargh! Another vent post. (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]She sounds pretty miserable. I don't doubt you are right that she intends to take advantage of people and is lazy - or at least she sounds it. That being said - can she fit three adults in the car with 2 children in car seats? Is her husband around to watch the kids so she can pick up her parents?
    Posted by cbvcru67[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes to both questions actually. I don't know if I'd fully call her lazy - but now that I think about it, that's probably got something to do with it as well. The biggest word in my mind is ungrateful. Well, there is another one but it shouldn't be used in polite company ; ) lol</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA - FTR I'd be just as aggrivated if she was asking someone other than me to pick them up. I'm not angry because I've got to do it - and if my grandparents had asked me directly I'd be more than happy to do it. I'm angry because this is just another example of how selfish she is. </div>
  • Options
    bongebonge member
    First Comment
    Honestly, she knew you took them to the airport when she didn't want too so she knows you will pick them up as well cause she doesn't want too. 

She sounds like she feels entitled to everything, which is sad. 
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_aaaargh-another-vent-post-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a84e197f-8e05-4f1d-8019-6612509568bdPost:c5df1342-fd1e-42c6-a6cc-f3ae4a86e35f">Re: Aaaargh! Another vent post. (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, she knew you took them to the airport when she didn't want too so she knows you will pick them up as well cause she doesn't want too.  She sounds like she feels entitled to everything, which is sad. 
    Posted by bonge[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah...i'm a total push over >.<</div>
  • Options
    So if I read that right --- her ILs bought her a freaking HOUSE and she now is holding their grandchildren hostage over something petty? Wtf. For some reason that was the part that really stuck out for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards