Wedding Etiquette Forum

Facebook Wedding Invite?!!?

I've worked with a woman for the past 5 years. She's been with the same man for 9+ years. They've been engaged on and off 7 times. They've had children together but she always told me at work that she didn't love him and couldn't find a way to kick him out of the house. I met my DH and we got engaged within a year and a half. She always seemed happy for us. She was invited to our wedding. She always claimed she didn't receive an invite so we wound up sending her 3 invitations costing us $30+. She never RSVPd. 

The day of my wedding she sent facebook wedding invites to everyone she knew (that was taking place in 4 weeks) saying they are finally ready to get married. My DH and I already had plans for that weekend since we usually have a pretty busy summer visiting out of state family.

I just got a text from her saying I'm a horrible person, a bad friend and everyone we work with talks bad about me. She was extremely upset that I didn't come to her wedding or bachelorette party since she came to my bachelorette party. 

I just had to vent. I threw her a baby shower two years ago and have supported her in many ways when she wanted to leave her now husband. It's just sad when you think you have a close friend and they are anything but!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Facebook Wedding Invite?!!?

• She sounds like a crazy.

But you lost me at sending her 3 invitations.  After the first one, I would have either brought the second to work and handed it to her discreetly (or met her somewhere else), or just given her the info. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I didn't have the invitations. My parents were sending them from out of state. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • that's ridiculous.  i would just ignore it and pretend like it never happened myself.  but i would make a point to less involved in the friendship from here on out.

i've also had a friend flip out on me for no reason and accuse me of being a terrible person, and now the few times i run into her she's all hugs and happy to see me.

bitches be crazy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_facebook-wedding-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ac4d0a86-2076-4677-b608-d1c163bfe5f5Post:4c3c4d1a-0db9-4f6d-ba12-61dfeaf0d704">Re: Facebook Wedding Invite?!!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sucks; she sounds like a loon. Over thirty bucks for three invitations? What kind of invitations were you sending that were over $10 EACH? I'm picturing the shower invitations from "Bridesmaids"...
    Posted by KindaSparkly[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Haha They were nothing crazy like that! We had custom letter press done and with all of the postage they wound up being pretty expensive!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow.  I woudln't worry too much about what she thinks.
  • She sounds insane. Since you have to work with her, I'd find a way to politely say "I'm sorry you feel that way; my intention was never to hurt you, but I already had plans I couldn't change." Leave it at that. If she continues the crazy, try to keep your distance and remain civil at work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You're obviously not a horrible person.  She is ridiculous.  I agree with violet--make a point to be less involved in the friendship--I also suspect she may start pretending nothing happened.  Start cutting back your relationship to a basic work friendship (don't talk about personal stuff, get coffee during work, but no hanging out outside of work).  If she doesn't let it go and keeps telling you how terrible you are, tell her you did not mean to hurt her and keep your distance.
  • I agree with everyone. She sounds crazy. I also feel like there's a lot of crazy isht going on in her life and she's lashing out at people who are not at fault because she can't do anything about the real problem. I mean, I don't know this woman but marrying someone who you've repeatedly said you wanted to kick out of the house even though he's the father of your children sounds like a crazy move. Is he abusive?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I love that with all the crazy ish in this post, the part you chose to highlight in the title was "Facebook Wedding Invite?!!?"

But I agree with everyone else.  Start to distance yourself and take it back to being a professional relationship as much as you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards