Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Thank you note for gift cards?

My mom's friend threw us a shower this past Saturday because it's the only time we'd be in California before the wedding in August. A few people got us gift cards, and we're not planning to use them until after the wedding to buy anything on the registry that hasn't been purchased yet. What's appropriate to say in the thank you note? Just thanks for the gift card? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Thank you note for gift cards?

• Options
    'Thank you for the gift card to target. We can't wait to get some final things from the registry after the wedding.' Or something like that.
  • Options
    "Thank you so much for the Home Depot gift card.  We truly appreciate your generosity and this gift card will come in handy when it comes time to remodeling our home or upgrading our appliances" or something of that nature.  Whenever I get a gift I try to write how I will use it in the thank you note so that the giver knows that their gift will be put to good use.

PS:  I just used Home Depot as an example.  Not sure what gift cards you got and to where.

• Options
    What I wrote in my thank you's for gift cards was, "thank you so much for the generous/wonderful gift card to "target". We love Target and go there often, we will use your gift to purchase things to better our home! Thank you so much once again" That way you dont have to say when you use it or what you are buying with it, just that it's making your new home nicer/better thanks to them...
  • Options
    Thanks guys! 

(It was to Pottery Barn, which is where we were registered. I'm not sure why they decided to do gift cards, but oh well!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thank-you-note-for-gift-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae0d192b-70b8-4e52-a6f0-3e1e4c815d97Post:e978922e-a50c-4f8c-91b5-d2dab687c147">Re: Thank you note for gift cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks guys!  (It was to Pottery Barn, which is where we were registered. I'm not sure why they decided to do gift cards, but oh well!)
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

In your OP it said that the shower was the only time you would be in CA until your wedding.  Maybe, if you had to travel after the shower, they thought that gift cards would be the easiest to lug around.

• Options
    Say something like, "We look forward to using your wonderful gift at Pottery Barn.  It was lovely to see you at the shower."  Etc.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thank-you-note-for-gift-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae0d192b-70b8-4e52-a6f0-3e1e4c815d97Post:bf7aa79b-6af9-404b-9697-4363e08afad6">Re: Thank you note for gift cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Thank you so much for the Home Depot gift card.  We truly appreciate your generosity and this gift card will come in handy when it comes time to remodeling our home or upgrading our appliances" or something of that nature. <strong> Whenever I get a gift I try to write how I will use it in the thank you note so that the giver knows that their gift will be put to good use. </strong>PS:  I just used Home Depot as an example.  Not sure what gift cards you got and to where.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is what I do as well. I think - if I gave you the gift card - it would be fun to know what you were thinking of buying with it. Some people prefer giving gift cards because they figure you'll know best what you like and they probably got you Pottery Barn because (since you registered there) they know it's a store you like. Enjoy!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards