Wedding Etiquette Forum

Flower girl dresses?

We've invited our 3 nieces (my nieces-to-be) to be flower girls in our wedding.  Are we supposed to buy their dresses?!!

Re: Flower girl dresses?

• We are buying ours - but we only have 1.

The FG's mom assumed she was buying it, so maybe that is normal...IDK

You can get some cheap ones on places like ebay (where we are getting the ring bearer's tux)...I know I've seen other cheap ones too, just don't remember where off the top of my head
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Generally if you ask the parents and they agree, they will assume responsibility to buy the dresses. However, if you can swing it, you could buy them as a nice gesture.

My mom made my FG's dress.
  • I didn't buy mine. But I also put no constraints on it in terms of color, style, or anything else. The mom picked one up that she thought was pretty and I saw it that day.
  • If my daughter was going to be a flower girl or my son a ringer bearer I would expect to pay for their attire. It's nice if you can do that for them but if not, they should pay for it. I would, though, allow the mom to have say in what the girls wear. Bridesmaids and groomsmen typically pay for their own attire so why wouldn't the flower girl(s) and ring bearer(s)?

• Also, don't get caught up  in "flower girl dresses."  Some of those things that are officially called FG dresses are ridiculously priced, not to mention way too grown for young girls, IMO.  Everyone makes such pretty dresss for little girls - you can find them at any department store, but especially around the holidays and Easter - and you can get them for so much cheaper than somewhere like David's.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I believe parents expect to pay for their children's attire when they are asked to be a part of a wedding. my FG's mom paid for her dress. when I was a FG, my mom paid for my dress. when I have little kids, I would expect to pay for their clothes.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I offered but her mom wanted it to coordnate perfectly with BMs gowns.

She bought the cream silk and I gave her enought material from the BM's gowns to make the waist and bow.   She was adorable!
  • lapcanlapcan member
    First Comment
    Usually the parent's of the child buys the dress.  I don't know when your wedding is but you may want to consider an Easter dress if her parent's are on a budget.  They are MUCH cheaper than any flower girl dress that you will find.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flower-girl-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b41d7bcb-b405-4dc0-9196-d4b66927831ePost:1b175a36-f8db-4008-93d3-54bec2141b65">Flower girl dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've invited our 3 nieces (my nieces-to-be) to be flower girls in our wedding.  Are we supposed to buy their dresses?!!
    Posted by dianegeiger[/QUOTE]

No you are not required to, their parents should expect a cost when they say their child can be in the wedding.  However, you can if you want to.  My niece is my flower girl and FSIL wanted to buy the dress.  I found a beautiful one I loved that fit our wedding style perfectly at JC Penney for $24.

Flower girl dresses don't have to cost 100s of dollars like they do through bridal shops.  Burlington and JC Penney have a lot of great ones.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flower-girl-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b41d7bcb-b405-4dc0-9196-d4b66927831ePost:3ff17059-6fb7-4f7d-a7f6-dd9d6512f21a">Re: Flower girl dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Usually the parent's of the child buys the dress.  I <strong>don't know when your wedding is but you may want to consider an Easter dress if her parent's are on a budget.  They are MUCH cheaper than any flower girl dress that you will find.
    Posted by lapcan[/QUOTE]</strong>
    I am having 2 FG twins.. I told their mom to pick whatever dress she wanted as long as it was white.. After Easter their Grandma found cute dress for the price of one!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little sister is the flower girl and my little brother is the ring bearer and my dad paid for both their dresse and tux and also my other sister is a jr bridesmaid and he bought her dress as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards