Wedding Etiquette Forum

Quick Kindle question

For those of you who own Kindles... I am going back to school in January, and decided to buy a Kindle and get the e-book of all my textbooks, so I can save about $700/semester.  If I get the little 6" Kindle, can you zoom in on pages?  For example, if there's an image or diagram I need to see close up?  Or do you think I should buy the big screen Kindle for this type of reading?
Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog

Re: Quick Kindle question

• Well, neither Kindle allows you to zoom.

I have the Kindle DX, and I used it all through studying for my major exams, mostly working from PDFs that I scanned myself or downloaded from JSTOR. It was a hefty investment to buy the thing, but I found it worked pretty darn well for what I needed it to do. You have to get used to it a bit, but once you do, the ability to take that sucker pretty much anywhere and have all your reading material with you will make you happy.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • If you're thinking about buying the bigger Kindle, you might want to consider the iPad instead. From what I understand, Amazon has a Kindle app for the iPhone and iPad and I think the iPad might have more abilities like zooming and such. I would Google it and do some research though. :)
  • Birdie, I was thinking the same thing, and I just looked at the iPad.  The thing is, the Kindle DX is $379 and includes free 3G wireless, with no monthly fees and no contracts and whatnot.  From what I can tell, the cheapest combination of getting the iPad with 3G is $629 initially plus $14.99/month.

If I get the $499 iPad, it's only $120 more than the Kindle and can do way cooler stuff, but I have to have access to a Wi-Fi hotspot.  Although, I guess when I am connected, I will be able to do much more on it than the Kindle.  I just can't decide!

Nose Job Blog
  • You can zoom in on PDFs, not on the...whatever format it is Amazon uses for their ebooks, I can't remember. So if they come in PDF, you can, if not then no.
  • Do you guys have Wifi at home? It's been awhile since I've been in school, but universities might have free wifi on campus as well. I've debated on if I needed the 3G for my Kindle, and I decided that I would rarely be in a spot where I couldn't access Wifi somewhere. At least for things I would do on the Kindle, I could do all of my downloading at home or at work and then I would have everything I need.

The iPad is more like a mini computer, so you'll need to think about how much internet stuff you'll be doing and where you'll be doing it. If you think you'll be somewhere with wifi at least 75% of the time, I think it's worth it.

I have a few coworkers that have traded in their Kindles for iPads. I can ask them what they think of the switch if you want!
  • And Sarah, that's the other reason I want the Kindle, especially because I am planning on using public transportation to get to campus.  It will be so nice to be able to pull that thing out and review on the bus.

I was thinking if the 6" didn't zoom, then I'm going to have to have the big one.  I think the 9.7" screen should be big enough to read diagrams.

Nose Job Blog
  • Amy, that's good to know.  I already have one textbook competely downloaded on my computer, all in PDF format.  It wasn't available for purchase on Amazon, but my H somehow found it elsewhere on the internet and downloaded it.  I'm sure that's totally illegal, but I'm not going to worry about that.

Nose Job Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-kindle-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b545ba4e-7a42-4265-b0cd-4a2f42b87cc6Post:6c2a3f4c-f060-4148-bfb0-7fb43751b765">Re: Quick Kindle question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amy, that's good to know.  I already have one textbook competely downloaded on my computer, all in PDF format.  It wasn't available for purchase on Amazon, but my H somehow found it elsewhere on the internet and downloaded it.  I'm sure that's totally illegal, but I'm not going to worry about that.
    Posted by KentuckyKate[/QUOTE]

Oh don't worry, I may have 8 gigs worth of books I torrented for my Kindle...I'm really cheap.
  • Birdie, that's a good point too!  We do have Wi-Fi at home, and they have it free at school.  Even Taco Bell has Wi-Fi now.  Yes, ask your coworkers!  For something this expensive, I would like as many opinions as possible.

Nose Job Blog
  • Will do! I know Amazon has apps for various devices and your computer as well, so if you end up buying a book from Amazon I"m 99% sure you can pull it up on your computer as well.
  • One thing is that the 3G on the Kindle isn't great if you want to browse the internet or something - it mainly works for getting more books from the Amazon store. So if you actually want this device for going online, you might be better off with getting the cheapest iPad and using it in coffee shops.

On the other hand, it may not be the worst thing in the world to have a reading device that doesn't make going online easy, because I know I get distracted into procrastinating on the internet all the time (like right now). :)
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Uggghhhh.... I don't  know what to do!  iPads are just so cool, but I can't decide if I need all that stuff, and yes, I am VERY easily distracted.  Where can I play with a Kindle DX?  Does Best Buy sell them?

Nose Job Blog
  • AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-kindle-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b545ba4e-7a42-4265-b0cd-4a2f42b87cc6Post:15c5998d-7e8c-49b1-811a-a52dbbc7b9c3">Re: Quick Kindle question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uggghhhh.... I don't  know what to do!  iPads are just so cool, but I can't decide if I need all that stuff, and yes, I am VERY easily distracted.  Where can I play with a Kindle DX?  Does Best Buy sell them?
    Posted by KentuckyKate[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, they're only available online.

ETA: Yup, apparently Best Buy and Target both carry them in stores now. New since I bought mine.
  • I'm pretty sure they do. They say on their website that they sell Kindles in stores, but they don't say specifically if they sell all of them or just some.

Also consider other things you might use your Kindle vs. iPad for in school. Could the iPad come in handy for other activities? I'm not 100% sure of it's capabilities, such as typing like a keyboard and all of that, but if it pretty much acted like a small computer it might come in handy for more than just reading. I would research it's capabilities and see if you could do things such as taking notes or if you could look at power points on it while you're in class. My classes used power points a lot and I always had to print off the slides for class.
  • What kinds of reading do you do?  Just books?  For instance, my programming books I HAVE to have a hard copy, but other textbooks would be fine as ebooks.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • This is what my coworker just told me on Facebook:

If she's just going to use it to read books, then I would recommend the Kindle. However, if you she wants more than an eReader then go for the iPad.

Regarding the zoom feature on the iPad, it's not available for the Kindle app. but you it does offer 6 different text sizes.

Hope this helps!!
  • Ok we can go now if you want. He's at work, so I can just go again with him later. I need to freshen up a bit because I've been a lazy butt and am still in my PJs. Do you want me to come pick you up?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-kindle-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b545ba4e-7a42-4265-b0cd-4a2f42b87cc6Post:544a7b3f-f126-4a84-addc-f7ba7871baa5">Re: Quick Kindle question</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is what my coworker just told me on Facebook: If she's just going to use it to read books, then I would recommend the Kindle. However, if you she wants more than an eReader then go for the iPad. Regarding the zoom feature on the iPad, it's not available for the Kindle app. but you it does offer 6 different text sizes. Hope this helps!!
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]
    That's why I need to feel them both out.  I don't know if I want or need more than an eReader.  It's not like there's a shortage of computers at this house or anything!  We have 3 desktops and 3 laptops!  But like I said, the iPad is just sooo cooooolll...

Nose Job Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-kindle-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b545ba4e-7a42-4265-b0cd-4a2f42b87cc6Post:c249bc42-7b43-45c4-997e-dc9c843cd331">Re: Quick Kindle question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok we can go now if you want. He's at work, so I can just go again with him later. I need to freshen up a bit because I've been a lazy butt and am still in my PJs. Do you want me to come pick you up?
    Sounds perfect.  I'm still in my PJs too.

Nose Job Blog
  • Ok! Give me 10-15 minutes and I'll head your way unless you need more time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-kindle-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b545ba4e-7a42-4265-b0cd-4a2f42b87cc6Post:20243b3b-3475-47ae-b023-92a34ecd7b0c">Re: Quick Kindle question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok! Give me 10-15 minutes and I'll head your way unless you need more time.
    Um, wait 30 then come.  I want to shower and clean my kitchen before you get here!

Nose Job Blog
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-kindle-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b545ba4e-7a42-4265-b0cd-4a2f42b87cc6Post:c0e2ed76-1b14-4359-8db2-b6f394d3d8b7">Re: Quick Kindle question</a>:
    [QUOTE]One thing is that the 3G on the Kindle isn't great if you want to browse the internet or something - it mainly works for getting more books from the Amazon store. So if you actually want this device for going online, you might be better off with getting the cheapest iPad and using it in coffee shops.<strong> On the other hand, it may not be the worst thing in the world to have a reading device that doesn't make going online easy, because I know I get distracted into procrastinating on the internet all the time (like right now). :)</strong>
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS. And that's what I like about the kindle vs. a tablet computer. Plus, I like the e-paper on the kindle, so there's no eye strain like with an LCD screen.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, there are kindle apps for mac and PC, so if you want to view things close up on your computer at home, you can sync up your computer with your kindle. There's also different text sizes on the kindle.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Target carries Kindle so you can play on one there :)  I have a kindle and I love it.  If you are buying an ebook version of your textbooks it will allow you to change text size and it's formatted so it's not like looking at the whole page of your text book on a small screen, it keeps the font size the same and only shows what will fit on the page (if that makes sense).  You might get the equivalent of 1 column of a text book on the kindle and then you turn the page on the kindle and there would be the next column.  Diagrams are usually pretty easy to see although they are only in black and white.

I married my best friend on July 8, 2011
  • When I used my Kindle for textbook reading, I was able to just make the font bigger, which in turn increased the size of the diagram, or whatever I was looking at, to a viewable size. Never had any problems! HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KK, you can also check out the NookColor when it comes out. From what I've read it seems to be the poor man's ipad. You can read pdf's, ebooks, magazines, color kids books, etc. Same screen as an ipad but accepts all file types including epubs which apparently the Kindle won't accept. It's under $300 I believe, but definitely under $600.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-kindle-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b545ba4e-7a42-4265-b0cd-4a2f42b87cc6Post:f1e1f520-2378-4d92-9e1c-6ce3a08ec3c7">Re: Quick Kindle question</a>:
    [QUOTE]KK, you can also check out the NookColor when it comes out. From what I've read it seems to be the poor man's ipad. You can read pdf's, ebooks, magazines, color kids books, etc. Same screen as an ipad but accepts all file types including epubs which apparently the Kindle won't accept. It's under $300 I believe, but definitely under $600.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]
    I didn't know about this!!  This is definitely what I'm getting.  I kept going back and forth forever between the iPad and the Kindle DX yesterday, but the NookColor is exactly what I need.  Thanks Katie!!

Nose Job Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards