Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Divorced parents' wedding pictures?

I love the idea of old pictures from grandparents' and parents' weddings being featured as decor for the cocktail hour or reception. However, both mine and my fiance's parents are divorced (only my Dad is remarried). Everyone gets along amicably (thank goodness!), but I'm stlil wondering whether it's a good idea to feature pictures from their big days from so long ago when their marriages didn't last. I haven't brooched the subject with any of them yet, and I'm debating whether it's worth it. As an aside, while I love my stepmother, I wouldn't want to have a picture of her and my Dad's wedding, because I'm not a product of it. Would that be wrong too?

Re: Divorced parents' wedding pictures?

• Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    Omigosh I would definitely not put up pictures of the parents' wedding. That's just me, though. My parents had a fairly amicable divorce, but I know it would bother people, including my parents. Maybe just put up the grandparents' pictures?
  • Options
    I would skip this whole idea.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Yeah, this just sounds like a bad idea.  Even with amicable divorces, that could still be super awkward.

I was worried about how my dad would react to me wearing my mom's dress.  To be honest, I'm not entirely sure he noticed.

• Options
    Skip it. It'd be weird to have a picture of your parents marriage if they're not together. it'd also probably be REALLY awkward for your stepmom.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else.  Just skip this.  If I were one of the parents and my wedding picture from a failed marriage was being displayed I would feel highly embarrassed even if I was on good terms with my ex.

• Options
    My Fiance's parents are both remarried and very amicable (they both come to my dd b day parties, each other's parents big birthday parties) and I STILL wouldn't put up pictures of their wedding.  I think I would feel uncomfortable and awkward as the step parent/parents.  I would do grandparents or none at all.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    I agree with doing just grandparents or none at all.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorced-parents-wedding-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b991e4a8-65dd-4a18-9330-4eb5ba9b9e3dPost:71f894ca-9a09-4c9c-afb2-00df78e66a88">Divorced parents' wedding pictures?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love the idea of old pictures from grandparents' and parents' weddings being featured as decor for the cocktail hour or reception. However, both mine and my fiance's parents are divorced (only my Dad is remarried). Everyone gets along amicably (thank goodness!), but I'm stlil wondering whether it's a good idea to feature pictures from their big days from so long ago when their marriages didn't last. I haven't brooched the subject with any of them yet, and I'm debating whether it's worth it. As an aside, while I love my stepmother, I wouldn't want to have a picture of her and my Dad's wedding, because I'm not a product of it. Would that be wrong too?
    Posted by lisabeats[/QUOTE]
    Don't do it. My parents are divorced and eventhough they live in the same house and get along great, it would be very awkard for everyone, I mean our families know their divorced so it wouldn't make sense.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    No.  Aside from the fact that your parents probably wouldn't appreciate it, wouldn't it seem awkward, to say the least, to surround the start of a marriage that you want to last and succeed with reminders of ones that didn't?
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from but I would skip it since parents are divorced. It would create an ackward moment for your parents to see their wedding picture on display for everyone when their marriage didn't work out. And it could be insulting to your step mom because it could come across that "even though you're here in the picture & make my dad happy, I really want my mom & dad back together"
  • Options
    As someone who is divorced and it was a unhappy divorec, when my daughter gets married which will be I hope this year. I wouldn't want it up there.

If you are set on photos, why not show photos of your parents holding you seperately, so one of your mom and you and one of your dad and you.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs - I wouldn't do it. My divorced parents are best friends and hang out all the time and I think this would be awkward. 
  • Options
    ally91ally91 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited March 2013
    I saw this idea too and liked it, but realized since both my parents and my FI's parents are divorced it wouldn't work. I've decided on making sure our children can do it at their wedding if they want Smile.
    Soon-to-be Mrs. Kent
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorced-parents-wedding-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b991e4a8-65dd-4a18-9330-4eb5ba9b9e3dPost:bb0ac20f-48e0-4597-86ab-fbcca9fbde0a">Re: Divorced parents' wedding pictures?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw this idea too and liked it, but realized since both my parents and my FI's parents are divorced it wouldn't work. <strong>I've decided on making sure our children can do it at their wedding if they want .</strong>
    Posted by ally91[/QUOTE]
    Aww!
  • Options
    I think it's a cute idea, but not with divorced parents. My parents are also divorced, and it was not amicable, but I think it would make them uncomfortable to see their wedding pictures on display either way. I wouldn't want to show up to a party at my mom's house with FI and look at pictures of me with my ex.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards