Wedding Etiquette Forum

Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs?

How do you feel about it? I'm not thrilled, but I'm just going to suck it up and deal. I'd honestly rather be with my parents and brothers on Christmas, but I know that marriage is all about compromise and it's MIL's turn this Christmas. Boo.

Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs?

• We've spent Christmas with his parents the past 3 years because my parents haven't been able to accomodate us (they live in the country, so the closest hotel is about an hour away).
  • Me! On a ship, in the virgin islands. I've spent the last 3 Christmas' with them though..
  • We do both, because both our families are close.  However his family only has one shindig and mine has one on both side.

So we end up missing one of my sides.  It stinks, and I usually hear the "Where were you this year?"  But whatever.  Its that wretched compromise!
    Photobucket
  • I'm not, but then we have circumstances (i.e. FIL has a tendency to ruin holidays with his moodiness) and my sister is visiting and DH's brother isn't. I basically just kind of won. We may do Christmas Eve with them and Christmas with mine, but there are no concrete plans for the 24th yet. I absolutely dread my first Christmas without my family. I will NOT be a happy camper.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • I am. I'm kinda thrilled about it actually. My parents are skipping Christmas this year and we're going on a cruise a couple days after. My dad is Santa, so by the time Christmas rolls around, he's exhausted and it's kinda lame at my house. FILS really do it up and I'm excited to be in the middle of all of it. Although, I have no problem being away from my parents for the holidays. We've always been really flexible with when we celebrate things, so I'll see them afterwards and that will be good enough for me.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Nope! 2nd year in a row my husband will be spending christmas with my family and NOT visiting his!
  • We are going to switch each year. We'll do one holiday (either Thanksgiving or Christmas) in CT, and the other in MD. We did Thanksgiving in CT this year, so it's MD for Christmas. Last year, DH and I spent Christmas separately because we figured it'd be the last year that we could get away with it.

Navy - MIL doesn't have a place in her house where both DH and I can sleep in the same room, nevermind the same bed, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. When we were engaged, we had to sleep separately there, and I guess it'll be like that now too!
  • I'll probably be spending my Christmas at work, so probably not Yell  His mom lives 2 hours away, only remaining grandparent is an hour away and blah to be around.  Maybe I'll jaunt over to his aunt and uncle's house 10 minutes away; they're cool, I wouldn't mind.
  • We had Thanksgiving with the IL's.

They wanted to get pizza on Thanksgiving. Did you read that? Pizza. PIZZA! On THANKSGIVING!

I had to fight to be able to cook a traditional meal. And a whole new battle with FIL to get the family to sit at the table together, not in front of the TV.

Eventually I won, but it was tough.

Very sad I missed my parent's Thanksgiving with 20 people and tons of food.
  • Brooke - I'm happy to see that I'm not alone. I most likely won't be a happy camper either. :(
  • I am!
    We usually pull double duty and this year is no exception to that. BUT for the first time I'll be spending Christmas morning with (STB)DH and his family. That's gonna be weird! We're spending the night at his parents house since we'll be there for Christmas eve. We'll then go to my moms for a bit, have some food, then head to his aunt's house.

I'm looking forward to it! Should be fun.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-else-spending-christmas-ils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bfaecd7b-6cb6-4472-aef5-1eea104eb2e9Post:6639fea3-0d09-4fe3-a6df-33e24e4e9c22">Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had Thanksgiving with the IL's. They wanted to get pizza on Thanksgiving. Did you read that? Pizza. PIZZA! On THANKSGIVING! I had to fight to be able to cook a traditional meal. And a whole new battle with FIL to get the family to sit at the table together, not in front of the TV. Eventually I won, but it was tough. Very sad I missed my parent's Thanksgiving with 20 people and tons of food.
    Posted by MissSarah786[/QUOTE]

Okay, so that explains your DHs eating habits quite well!
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We'll be at my house, but just spent Thanksgiving with the ILs.  It was okay...2nd year in a row, but it's just not the same.  I barely got to watch the parade at all and that bums me out.  Frown

• Me!  (well, FIL's)  They're the most drama-free and chill group of folks, though.  Esp. compared to my family.  So I'm looking forward to it.
  • We just did Thanksgiving with the FILs, and will do this Christmas with my family.  We'll switch next year.  I expect my parents to travel up to Boston to visit us there for a holiday or two once we move, so we may get to do both sometimes, but we're ok with the rotation. 

I really missed the traditional squirrly family food for Thankgsiving, though.  FI's family doesn't believe in casseroles.  Each vegetable is eaten/served plain.  Like, boiled and that's it.  I am now working through the Thanksgiving dishes I missed one at a time. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Sucrets, they have pizza because of Tim. Thanksgiving pizza....

I told then I would make turkey. FIL doesn't like turkey.

I would make ham. FIL doesn't like ham.

I finally won him over with tri-tip.

MIL was great about it though, it was nice to have her on my side to help out.
  • Sucrets - We watched the parade for nearly 2 hours because DH's cousin marched in it and we wanted to try to find her. We didn't but it was nice to watch.
  • I used to wake up and watch the parade while being lazy all morning.  We don't eat until a little bit later due to work schedules (nurses in the family), but we start snacking early.  DH's fam eats early, so I missed the whole parade.

sarah - glad you were able to figure something out!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-else-spending-christmas-ils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bfaecd7b-6cb6-4472-aef5-1eea104eb2e9Post:8ceba881-a154-47ff-9404-afa5f5100bfd">Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to wake up and watch the parade while being lazy all morning.  We don't eat until a little bit later due to work schedules (nurses in the family), but we start snacking early.  DH's fam eats early, so I missed the whole parade. sarah - glad you were able to figure something out!
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

I've never seen the parade :(
  • I can't imagine pizza, that's nuts.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-else-spending-christmas-ils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bfaecd7b-6cb6-4472-aef5-1eea104eb2e9Post:b5f46bca-b248-4c39-9e0b-fb13ba6ce354">Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs? : I've never seen the parade :(
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

WHAT???  It's not on NBC by you?????

• gg - who did she march with?

• I've thought about attending the parade one year, but then I realized that I'd probably go crazy there. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-else-spending-christmas-ils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bfaecd7b-6cb6-4472-aef5-1eea104eb2e9Post:cf917c19-a660-4c82-b176-0d9856b671ab">Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs? : WHAT???  It's not on NBC by you?????

I don't know...T tried to put it on this year but we missed it. I'm not sure why I've never seen it, maybe it comes on to early on the west coast? Who knows..
  • Really , Roxy? You need to try to catch it next year. This years' was pretty good - a lot of perfomances in between floats and stuff.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Thanksgiving was here this year.  Alternate holidays between here and Massachusetts.  I'm easy with that.

M&E took their little boy to a friend's party Thanksgiving morning because their place overlooks the parade route.  Brunch for a mere 200.  They did have a great time and we drive out to NJ to my brother's place for the rest of the weekend.

I am going to Massachusetts for Christmas as M&E are hosting and she needs cooking help ;)

yeah, I do remember doing that myself
  • Hmm, I wonder if they show it live or delay it like everything else.  I'm pretty sure it starts at 9 eastern, but I could be wrong. 

They always do songs from current Bway shows.  They're prerecorded, but fun to watch.  That's my hook.

• Haha I just reread my post. Too much watching the movie and not paying attention to my typos and rambling. I will definitely try to catch it next year
  • She marched w/ the Towson University Marching Band.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-else-spending-christmas-ils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bfaecd7b-6cb6-4472-aef5-1eea104eb2e9Post:f92d6782-2e25-456a-bbfa-d9f574bca74d">Re: Anyone else spending Christmas with the ILs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm, I wonder if they show it live or delay it like everything else.  I'm pretty sure it starts at 9 eastern, but I could be wrong.  They always do songs from current Bway shows.  They're prerecorded, but fun to watch.  That's my hook.
    I always thought they just looped it all day but found out this year that it was not the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards