Wedding Etiquette Forum

Titles of families with older children

Hi! I am working on addressing my wedding invites, and have some questions concerning the titles. I have a few families that have older children, and wondering how to write their names on the front envelope if they have 2 or 3 children (in teens and 20's). I don't have their kids addresses, and don't want to send out a lot of extra envelopes, when i know the families wouldn't mind having the kids listed on the same one. I am also just doing the main envelope with an invite inside, and postcard RSVP, so there is no inner envelope. 
After the parents names would i write their names all on separate lines or the same line with commas?....

Mr. and Mrs...
Mr. child A
Mr. child B
Miss child C
or 
Mr. and Mrs...
Mr. child A, Mr child B, and Miss child C

Also, if there are two boys with the same last name, can you do....

Mr.'s child A and B "last name" 
or would they be
Mr. child A
Mr. child B 

Thank you for the help! I hope this made sense.

Re: Titles of families with older children

• Adult children (over 18) get their own invitation.
  • They need their own invitation if they are over 18, especially if they no longer live with their parents. I am 27 and people still send invites to my parents, it makes me feel like if you can't be bothered to find out my address (an address I have been at now for 5 years) then you really don't want me at your wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For kids under 18, this is how it goes:

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Edward, Robert and Susan
    123 Main Street
    Anytown, United States

For a single child you can do:

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Miss Susan Smith
    123 Main Street

etc
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I cannot tell you how many family events we missed out on because the invitation was sent to

Mr and Mrs In Laws
    Ms Drama and Mr Drama's H

...and then ILs never told us about it.

Call the parents and get the kids' addresses.  Each adult should get their own invitation unless it's two adults in a relationship.  Be sure to invite the SOs (boyfriend, girlfriend, partner) of the older kids as well.
  • If they're over 18, send them their own invitation using Mr. or Miss (I go with Ms. if they're over 21).

If they're under 18, you can use "and family", but that can cause confusion sometimes. Some people think that means they can invite cousins and such. The articles I've read all say to avoid using "and family", as invitations should always be addressed to a specific person. I only use "and family" on Christmas cards.

If you want to list the children on the main envelope, you can do:

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Matthew, Rebecca, and Christopher Smith

or

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Mr. Matthew Smith, Miss Rebecca Smith, Mr. Chris Smith

If your invitations/wedding lean toward the formal end of things, I'd go with listing the children as Mr/Miss.
  • Are you planning on giving the adult kids plus one's? If so this could all get very confusing and congested on one invite. It best just to send each adult their own (even if they are still living with their parents).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards