Wedding Etiquette Forum

I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.

Forgive my AW/PW/NotErelated bs but I think that H is getting ready to start trying for a baby soon!  Its crazy he was like sooo not ready for it and then boom - he was like -  ok I think we should start.  I was all mentally ready to wait a year but now that he wants it I think I want it too.

Question - our honeymoon is in Egypt in February.  If I was like 2-3 months preggers could I ride a camel?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:88c4da3b-c0fe-4a90-9aae-5a83e8fe320d">I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Forgive my AW/PW/NotErelated bs but I think that H is getting ready to start trying for a baby soon!  Its crazy he was like sooo not ready for it and then boom - he was like -  ok I think we should start.  I was all mentally ready to wait a year but now that he wants it I think I want it too. Question - our honeymoon is in Egypt in February.  <strong>If I was like 2-3 months preggers could I ride a camel?</strong>
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]
    I don't know why, but that really made me laugh.  I have no idea what the answer is, but yay for TTC!
    Photobucket
  • I also laughed when I got to the end of that. And, uh, I have no idea! But congrats.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I wonder if a bump is hot in Egypt.  Apparently shoulders are super sexy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:c9d440a1-7d87-4a76-b372-2c81ae37aed4">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh and disclaimer,  my advice comes from horses not camels per say.  I see no reason there would be a difference
    Posted by aggiebug[/QUOTE]
    This will be a child of an internal medicine doctor and the grandchild of a vet.  I'm pretty sure that they'll be pretty bossy.  :(  I love riding horses though!
  • No riding a camel.  Sorry.  I had to give up horseback riding during the pregnancy.  The danger isn't from riding specifically, but from the potential of falling or getting kicked.

Congrats on TTC, though!
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hmm, I took my older daughter skiing when I was 32 weeks pg. I think riding a camel that early on is pretty safe, but check with the OB if you are pg.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:109cf342-2db3-4b5b-afb3-12ef3c557be2">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm, I took my older daughter skiing when I was 32 weeks pg. I think riding a camel that early on is pretty safe, but check with the OB if you are pg.
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]
    downhill or x-country?  skiiing sounds dangerous. 
  • No riding animals while pregnant. That would be very bad. With camels you are less likely to fall off but depending on the camel type/saddle type it can be very jarring for your joints as well as your abs. I also wouldn't want to fly 2-3 months pregnant and deal with morning sickness or food/smell sensitivities. Egypt is not the place to be if you are feeling at all nauseous.
  • Katie you are very well informed on camel riding.  Have you much experience with camels?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:7f0be3b5-06a1-4bdf-9209-40052cfb3c1a">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]No riding animals while pregnant. That would be very bad. With camels you are less likely to fall off but depending on the camel type/saddle type it can be very jarring for your joints as well as your abs. I <strong>also wouldn't want to fly 2-3 months pregnant and deal with morning sickness or food/smell sensitivities. Egypt is not the place to be if you are feeling at all nauseous</strong>.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

I was totally just thinking this,  how miserable would that be!  gah

oh and andy your family is not going to let that stuff happen lol.  AND your dad? his dad? (the vet) has an awesome career.... but I could be a little biased ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • aggie - I'm super jealous of him too.  Its my FIL - and he's actually retired.  He sold his practice at 56 and has lived a great retirement and only treats our three furbabies.

I'm going to pretend that (a) I can get pregnant on command and (b) I won't have morning sickness.  At least until its official.  :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:c28026e9-03d8-4f9e-8cba-b0ab51eff21c">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Katie you are very well informed on camel riding.  Have you much experience with camels?
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]

I've been spit on by one! Fvckers scare me now lol. I actually lived in Kuwait from age 5 until 9 so we saw a lot of camels. I also went to Egypt during that time a couple times. It's a total blast, but definitely a culture shock.
  • did he do small animals only?  In 8 months I will be livin' the dream as people say.  right now I am scared sh*tless lol.  I gots a lot to learn in 8months! 

OH and I am totally jealous of your Egypt honeymoon! that sounds like such a blast and is for sure on my bucketlist
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Congrats on TTC!! I have no clue about the camels, my vote is to avoid falling off :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:9941e094-5c90-4d0f-958e-b7a7a4be828f">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]did he do small animals only?  In 8 months I will be livin' the dream as people say.  right now I am scared sh*tless lol.  I gots a lot to learn in 8months!  OH and I am totally jealous of your Egypt honeymoon! that sounds like such a blast and is for sure on my bucketlist
    Posted by aggiebug[/QUOTE]
    He started with both but his practice was for small animals.  He has some pretty funny stories.  Good luck!  That's awesome - so do you look for a job after graduation or do you have to do an internship or something?
  • Andy, if you go to the pyramids and see Zahi Hawass I want an autograph! No joke. I would love you forever and ever and ever.
  • no job no internship yet lol.  I will be moving to where FI is living now (boo LDRs) and I am in contact with a few clinics in the area.  I will be more serious about finding a job when I get the letter saying I passed my national boards in Jan.

ok no more thread jacking oops!
    Fred Rogers
  • KH - does he just hang out there? We are going to a lot of pyramids so maybe?
  • I love you, andy.  Seriously.

I would ride a camel at 2-3 months.  I mean, the whole falling or getting kicked.. minimal chances, and I'm sure your chances of getting in car accident are higher. 

Good luck!
  • aggie - if you ever end up in the Wisconsin area let me know.  I'll hook you up.
  • Congrats!! If you want TTC-related info without having to brave The Bump, feel free to PM me. We've been trying since April :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:87080b58-7f49-45af-af10-755bc1dc4e09">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you think pregnant women got around Egypt before cars? 
    Posted by fangsiting[/QUOTE]
    This!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:7f0be3b5-06a1-4bdf-9209-40052cfb3c1a">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]No riding animals while pregnant. <strong>That would be very bad.</strong> With camels you are less likely to fall off but depending on the camel type/saddle type it can be very jarring for your joints as well as your abs. I also wouldn't want to fly 2-3 months pregnant and deal with morning sickness or food/smell sensitivities. Egypt is not the place to be if you are feeling at all nauseous.

<div>this is a pretty dramatic statement.  i work in maternal health and i have not heard anyone suggest that a camel ride or gentle horse ride is forbidden.  as long as the mother is healthy and feels comfortable with the idea, there's no reason not to go for a ride.</div><div>
    </div><div>the risk is in falling so taking extra care is advisable but pregnant women aren't china dolls.  :)</div>
  • In regards to the "how did women get around Egypt" (yes I know you are mostly joking)
    ~ Normally only the head men had camels. Camels are expensive and most people would either stay put or walk.
    ~ If you have ridden a camel (or horse) all of your life then yes, it's normally ok to ride up until 3 months because you have the muscle memory needed to balance. If you have never ridden a camel/horse you are at an increased risk of falling because you would be off balance from the animal already.
  • Thanks BP!  GL to you - are you charting or just trying?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:269a4a67-05dd-4056-b34c-effb0c6e6ab6">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In regards to the "how did women get around Egypt" (yes I know you are mostly joking) ~ Normally only the head men had camels. Camels are expensive and most people would either stay put or walk. ~ If you have ridden a camel (or horse) all of your life then yes, it's normally ok to ride up until 3 months because you have the muscle memory needed to balance. If you have never ridden a camel/horse you are at an increased risk of falling because you would be off balance from the animal already.
    and in all seriousness - I grew up riding horses so would probably be ok but I doubt my H would let me and I probably won't be pregnant by then anyway.
  • Camels aren't all they are cracked up to be Wink The one I was on was really uncomfortable. Give me a horse any day!
  • Charting. I was on BCPs for 10 years, so I had no clue what my body would do. I would have driven myself nuts and wasted tons of tests if I didn't chart :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-talk-this-irl-ill-talk-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a24463-b95f-4d2d-8c59-c1b23ce52197Post:87080b58-7f49-45af-af10-755bc1dc4e09">Re: I can't talk about this IRL so I'll talk about it here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you think pregnant women got around Egypt before cars? 
    Posted by fangsiting[/QUOTE]

<div>*snicker*</div>
  • I don't see it as any different than getting engaged or getting married. It's the beginning of planning for a llife event. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards